Films about solitary figures who live simple lives

Tools    

Just watched this! Solid neo noir type film with redemption arc. Nice directing, pretty good cast. Some tropey elements with the bumbling cop providing some comedy relief, weak dream sequence and the chekov's gun principle fairly obvious, but it was just what I needed and just the right type of character I had asked about. So cheers.

There's a lovely crane shot at the end too that feels like it's straight from a Hitchcock or something:

And it has Isla Fisher, so that's a plus.
Glad you enjoyed it.

I think one thing that really impressed me was that it depicts a character with mental limitations without it being overt, or even immediately apparent. It hadn't occurred to me before that how over the top and binarily that kind of thing is usually depicted in movies and TV.

Romántico is a documentary but it's the first thing I flashed on when I read the thread title.

I have not seen, but I believe the DGG movie with Nic Cage, Prince Avalanche would qualify.

Not sure if something like Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene or Romero's Martin would qualify. Probably don't want to go down the vampire/serial killer rabbit hole.

Beauty and the Beast (1978, Czechoslovakia)

ETA: probably not what you were asking for, but not exactly not what you were asking for.

The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
The Sterile Cuckoo (1969)
The Man Without a Face (1993)
Priest (1994)
Safe (1995)
Castaway (2000)
Into the Wild (2007)
Lars and the Real Girl (2007)
The Revenant (2015)
Swiss Army Man (2016)

I have not seen, but I believe the DGG movie with Nic Cage, Prince Avalanche would qualify.
What is DGG? [Sorry if I'm being dumb]

Not sure if something like Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene or Romero's Martin would qualify. Probably don't want to go down the vampire/serial killer rabbit hole.
I'm a big fan of martha marcy may. Absolutely love that film. Not seen the other one, will add to the list thanks.

The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
The Sterile Cuckoo (1969)
The Man Without a Face (1993)
Priest (1994)
Safe (1995)
Castaway (2000)
Into the Wild (2007)
Lars and the Real Girl (2007)
The Revenant (2015)
Swiss Army Man (2016)
The Sterile Cuckoo is the one I haven't seen from that list, will check it, thanks. Oh and never seen Into The Wild, need to watch that

Thanks

What is DGG? [Sorry if I'm being dumb]

I'm a big fan of martha marcy may. Absolutely love that film. Not seen the other one, will add to the list thanks.

David Gordon Green, I didn't want to type it all out. And Captain Spaulding has corrected me in a post comment, I was thinking of Joe.

I get those two movies I haven't seen mixed up in my mind, because they kind of registered in my mind as probably being similar. I'm guessing they both might qualify.

I just remember its existence came back up in conversation when Pig, because people were happy to see Cage returning to vaguely similar territory again.

Also, looking through some of my movie collection, it crossed my mind, pretty much 50% of all Werner Herzog documentaries seem to be interested in people who aren't part of regular society.

La Leon (Argentina,2007)
Blade of the Immortal (Japan,2017)
Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts
(Indonesia,2017)
Tightrope perhaps?
Thank you, they look great. I have seen Marlina the murderer which I thoroughly enjoyed.

David Gordon Green, I didn't want to type it all out. And Captain Spaulding has corrected me in a post comment, I was thinking of Joe.

I get those two movies I haven't seen mixed up in my mind, because they kind of registered in my mind as probably being similar. I'm guessing they both might qualify.

I just remember its existence came back up in conversation when Pig, because people were happy to see Cage returning to vaguely similar territory again.

Also, looking through some of my movie collection, it crossed my mind, pretty much 50% of all Werner Herzog documentaries seem to be interested in people who aren't part of regular society.
Thanks, Yes I really liked 'Joe' and a similar film called 'Mud' with Mathew Mcwossisname,

I did think about Herzohg's 'Strozsek' for this conversation which definitely has some of the right tones.

I'm pretty sure these qualify:

American Gigolo
The Best of Youth (a supporting character fits this description)
Manchester by the Sea
Pickpocket
Possum
Spider
Umberto D.
The Woodsman

I'm pretty sure these qualify:

American Gigolo
The Best of Youth (a supporting character fits this description)
Manchester by the Sea
Pickpocket
Possum
Spider
Umberto D.
The Woodsman
Thanks. I've seen most. Umberto D is amazing, as is Pickpocket. The Woodsman and Possum are quite similar in themes - would make an interesting double bill I reckon.

American Gigolo - that's a good recommendation, thanks.

"Ulee's Gold" (1997)

A beekeeper who pretty much tends to his product. But life steps in with issues that both hinders his work, as well as himself in making crucial decisions.
That looks absolutely 100% what I'm after, thanks so much.

Let me know how you like that, I have a weird memory of the trailer for Ulee's Gold but never saw it, and I've since become pretty interested in bees.

I thought of a few more that I'm pretty sure qualify. Would appreciate feedback from others who have seen them if they agree.

Being There
Martin
One Hour Photo