The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Annihilation was the first one that came to mind, but I thought "no way that's making it at this point", and then I go and guess Ragnarok. Go figure

At least it wasn't The Dark World.

I forgot the opening line.
A mixed bag - one film I know nothing about, and finally one I voted for.

26. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - I don't really know all that much about Spider-Man's voyage into multi-universes, alternate realities, quantum dimensional time warps and worm-hole expanding physical nano-realms. At number 26, this one must have done something awfully right though.

25. Portrait of a Lady on Fire - I had only just given up on this appearing. Portrait of a Lady on Fire was an unforgettable first-time watch, and left it's indelible mark on me despite me only having seen it once. I'm going to get it on Criterion of course, so I can once again bathe in the visual brilliance of it, with Noémie Merlant and Adèle Haenel simmering as two women falling in love in a film all about looking, and seeing. I figure my taste in film has changed by light years when I consider how I would have looked at this film as a teenager, in need of explosive action. Now a slow burn period piece has me entranced - but I also have to consider that not all films like Portrait of a Lady on Fire are as well filmed, or as hypnotic. It's fitting that it is like it is, considering the film's theme, and that's a kind of final stamp of brilliance on this French masterpiece. I never thought it would climb as high as 25, but I'm very pleased that it has. It was my #20

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen 68/76

Films on my radar : 3
Films I've never even heard about : 5

Films from my list : 8

#25 - My #20 - Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)
#41 - My #16 - Melancholia (2011)
#54 - My #11 - Under the Skin (2013)
#60 - My #4 - Joker (2019)
#64 - My #8 - Manchester by the Sea (2016)
#71 - My #12 - Ida (2013)
#93 - My #15 - It Follows (2014)
#96 - My #1 - Hereditary (2018)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Victim of The Night
A mixed bag - one film I know nothing about, and finally one I voted for.

25. Portrait of a Lady on Fire - I had only just given up on this appearing. Portrait of a Lady on Fire was an unforgettable first-time watch, and left it's indelible mark on me despite me only having seen it once. I'm going to get it on Criterion of course, so I can once again bathe in the visual brilliance of it, with Noémie Merlant and Adèle Haenel simmering as two women falling in love in a film all about looking, and seeing. I figure my taste in film has changed by light years when I consider how I would have looked at this film as a teenager, in need of explosive action. Now a slow burn period piece has me entranced - but I also have to consider that not all films like Portrait of a Lady on Fire are as well filmed, or as hypnotic. It's fitting that it is like it is, considering the film's theme, and that's a kind of final stamp of brilliance on this French masterpiece. I never thought it would climb as high as 25, but I'm very pleased that it has. It was my #20
With you all the way.
I wonder what was the youngest age at which I could have sat all the way through this film. I'm thinking maybe 30 (though I did love Dangerous Liaisons as a teenager).
And now I felt as riveted and engaged as if my television were actually bursting into flames. With no music (only the three diegetic pieces) to build tension or give emotional cues this movie still bristled. While the action films of these past few years seem mind-numbingly dull by comparison. Oh, something blew up - again? Whoopdeedoo. Have you seen this scene of women singing around a fire?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a lot of fun, and I love the way they integrated a comic book feel into the movie with the comic pages. The movie was almost like an animated version of Spider-Man: No Way Home with a bunch of different versions of Spider-Man from different universes coming together. The only downside for me in this movie was that they showed too many spiders. One origin story would have been more than enough for me. (I know they're animated, but they still kick in my phobia of spiders. ) However I still considered it for my list, but it didn't make the final cuts.

I've never heard of Portrait of a Lady on Fire.

mark f

I couldn't find any ratings/reviews mark f wrote for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Neither film made mark f's ballot.

The only thing I could find that Mark wrote about Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was when he listed as one of his "favorite movies from 2018".

Green Book
Incredibles 2
They Shall Not Grow Old
Capernaum
Won't You Be My Neighbor?
About a Donkey
Never Look Away
Isle of Dogs
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
The Rainbow Experiment
Shoplifters

I think I'm with you on the 0% chance of the rest of my list making it, but I might have one movie left that still has a chance. But while some of the movies on my list are obscure, I also have a bunch of movies that are pretty common, but they're just not getting as much love as they deserve.
Well, if they are superhero films then you'll probably have a chance at getting more on the countdown, but rom-coms nah people here don't like those, unless they are horror rom-coms

I only have one more superhero movie on my list, and it's not likely to make the countdown. However, I do have several rom-coms, but those won't make the countdown either.

Wait, did Error just get banned or something?
Nah, I put that there myself. I'm seeing how many people I can trick into believing I was banned.

Have seen neither of the latest films on the countdown, therefore no votes.

My guess for the hint for #23 would be if I was with a group of people trying to get off an upside down ship and suddenly the urge to go really hit me hard, and I'd be looking for...

23. A Quiet Place

My List so far:
#2. Moonrise Kingdom #37
#5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri #44
#6. True Grit #40
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#11. Zero Dark Thirty #58
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68
#24. Gone Girl #65

The truth is in here
"A sex scene so graphic you'll think 'Oh right, a man directed this'"

That joke doesn't even make sense considering Portrait Of A Lady On Fire was directed by a woman.
As with a lot of modern SNL sketches there are a few amusing parts, but as a whole it never fully comes together.

"A sex scene so graphic you'll think 'Oh right, a man directed this'"

That joke doesn't even make sense considering Portrait Of A Lady On Fire was directed by a woman.
As with a lot of modern SNL sketches there are a few amusing parts, but as a whole it never fully comes together.

I'm not familiar with Ammonite, the other name-checked movie. Looking at the IMDb synopsis and director, it makes me think that maybe that was the real inspiration for the skit, and Portrait got lumped in there due to pastiche and release timing reasons.

Though, my assumption was this was leftover criticism of Blue is the Warmest Color, which isn't a period drama.

The Duke of Burgundy did not make my ballot.

198 points, 12 lists
Silver Linings Playbook
Director

David O. Russell, 2012

Starring

Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert De Niro, Jacki Weaver

202 points, 15 lists
Inception
Director

Christopher Nolan, 2010

Starring

Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ken Watanabe, Tom Hardy

Ughh... Silver Linings Playbook? Really?

Trivia

Silver Linings Playbook - Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence spent several weeks practicing the climactic ballroom dance routine with choreographer Mandy Moore. "None of that was improvised, absolutely not," asserts Lawrence. "I'm a terrible dancer, so I would never have been able to do any of that. When it finally came together, that scene really was just as fun as it feels." Lawrence even mentioned that compared to her, Cooper took to dancing quite naturally, when in fact, it's her character Tiffany that's supposed to be the experienced dancer, and Pat, the amateur.
Inception - In an interview with "Entertainment Weekly", writer, producer, and director Christopher Nolan explained that he based roles of the Inception team similar to roles that are used in filmmaking, Cobb is the director, Arthur is the producer, Ariadne is the production designer, Eames is the actor, Saito is the studio, and Fischer is the audience. "In trying to write a team-based creative process, I wrote the one I know", said Nolan.

Reply to Topic