The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Sterile to the extreme tour-de-force of artificial showy video-gaming action non sequitur. A new canon masterpiece for the elite my ass.
Perhaps, but be honest, does that really make it that much worse in your eyes that most of what's made the list so far?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Perhaps, but be honest, does that really make it that much worse in your eyes that most of what's made the list so far?
Yeah, it's easily worse than most of the stuff on this list.

I just don't find this kind of fetishization of video game cutscenes a goal worth achieving.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Yes, that is correct. Speaking of Miami Vice, I have to wonder if anyone voted for Blackhat, Michael Mann's sole contribution to 2010s cinema. That would've had a good chance of being a one-pointer.
I had it at #22 on my list and it's one of my favourite films of his.

Victim of The Night
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a pretty cool film. Gorgeously animated, thematically strong, and great voice-cast. However, I didn't feel it hit me as hard as I was expecting, based on all the hoopla around it. Therefore, it didn't make my list. I've been meaning to rewatch it, see if it clicks more, but either way, I enjoyed it, and I'm glad to see it here.

On the other hand, Portrait of a Lady on Fire was one of those I couldn't shake off for days. Not only is it gorgeously shot, but it is also beautifully acted. There is a patience to Sciamma's direction and how she lets the relationship between the two leads unfold, but also an organic chemistry between both actresses. A great mixture of beauty and tragedy, with a last act that packs an emotional punch. I think this was one of my very, very last cuts, and I'm pretty sure I cut it because I knew it would make it anyway, and I wanted to give more push to a more underseen film. So take from that what you may. I loved this film.
Despite all the hoopla, I still had low expectations for Spiderverse so it did end up hitting me and made my list as my No.24.

But I'm replying because I had a very similar reaction as you to Portrait, I actually still can't shake it and am looking forward to my first re-watch to see if the very few things that gave me pause on first view still do or if it is a perfect movie.
It was my No.9.

Victim of The Night
One vote.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire was my #6. One of the few times in recent memory that I can remember being palpably surprised by a film is when I had to catch this at a festival because the film I had intended to see, Little Monsters, had unexpectedly sold out and I needed to find a backup choice. As it turns out, this became one of my favourite films of the decade and Little Monsters became one of my least favourite. Anyway, the film. Though its central narrative regarding the romance that unfolds between an artist and the noblewoman she's been commissioned to paint arguably deals in the usual conventional concepts of passionate romance forbidden by the restrictions of social mores and other machinations outside their control, such a tale is told with extreme cinematic verve. The subject matter also makes the matter of referring to each frame and composition as "painterly" a little trite and certain scenes are staged in such a way to invite that comparison, but it's a by-product of exerting such control so as to fully express not just the relationship that develops between these two women but also how it fundamentally changes them as people - a woman as worldly as Marianne can still learn much from the cloistered Heloise, for instance. They are not artist and muse, but collaborators on a work that will come to define them regardless of how much they are living on borrowed time together.
Yeah, I love that you say that (bolded above), this is one of the things I loved most about the film. By the time you get to the sort of climax of the movie, you feel like these three women have reinvented society as a collaboration and it's just sort of crushing knowing that it has to end.

26 Spiderman into the Spiderverse.

Into the Spiderverse made my list. In a time where we are FLOODED with not just superhero movies but Spiderman movies, the fact that Into the Spiderverse rose to the top and still made an impact on people is a testament how good it is. It doesn't break the mold. It's still the origin story formula (with a couple twists). But it's so charming and funny and heartfelt and visually stunning that it's quite the experience.

I haven't seen Portrait of a Lady on Fire yet but I keep hearing about it.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire is my #5.

This film is like a moving painting. A gorgeously shot, sensual, understated masterpiece.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, I love that you say that (bolded above), this is one of the things I loved most about the film. By the time you get to the sort of climax of the movie, you feel like these three women have reinvented society as a collaboration and it's just sort of crushing knowing that it has to end.
Indeed. It certainly does feel like a fairly blunt costuming choice to have their default outfits throughout the film be red, white, and blue (to say nothing of how they clearly exist at different strata in the class system - noble, artisan, and labourer).

my second favorite animated film of the decade
Oops, it was actually my third favorite--one of the top two might show up but I'd be very surprised if the other does.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
YES! I had almost (but not quite) given up hope for these two this late in the game. I had both on my list.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire was my #1 I just love it. To be honest, my top 5 could have been in a different order but this would always have been somewhere near the top. A romantic, bittersweet drama that's about love, sex, choice, fate, regret (or lack of), community among women, and most of all looking, capturing, seeing and being seen. I found the ending very moving, the love story convincing and the whole film just very well done. I don't know if lesbian period drama counts as a genre of its own (it should) but it is well represented on this countdown what with this, The Favourite and The Handmaiden all appearing.

Spiderman is doing pretty well too, this being by my count the third movie featuring your friendly neighborhood Spiderman to show. Spiderverse sneaked onto my list at #21. I thought it was doing something a little bit different with the story and doing it well. It's smart, it's nerdy and it's inventive, much like Spidey himself. This was one of three animated films on my list and I still hold out hope for the other two.

I predict three more of mine will make it, leaving me with 8 on the countdown. Seems par for the course for me with these things.

My ballot predictions:
1. Will Make It
2. Wonderful animated movie that won't make it
3 Wonderful animated movie that won't make it
4. Heartbreaking foreign movie that won't make it
5. Will Make It, Maybe Even #1
6. Sexy and weird foreign movie that won't make it
7. Joker (#60)
8. Django Unchained (#27)
9. Will Make It
10. Joaquin Phoenix Movie That Probably Won't Make It
11. The Man from Nowhere (#95)
12. Wonderful animated movie that won't make it
13. Solid and entertaining movie that won't make it.
14. Inside Out (#59)
15. Heartbreaking foreign movie that won't make it
16. Wonderful animated movie that won't make it
17. Wonderful animated movie that won't make it
18. Solid and entertaining movie that won't make it.
19. Sexy and kind of creepy drama that won't make it
20. Jojo Rabbit (#89)
21. Joaquin Phoenix movie that won't make it
22. Wonderful animated movie that won't make it
23. Should-be guilty pleasure that I don't feel guilty about, never had a chance
24. Idyllic romance that won't make it
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Maybe I'll get lucky and some of these "won't make its" will surprise me and show. Not holding my breath though.
I think your #s 4 and 6 are identical to my #s 4 and 6. My #1 could be your 19 or 23.

Lady on Fire was good but it really didn't affect me in any way.

I've seen the words Spider Verse on this forum but for whatever reason I didn't realize it was a movie.

38/76 seen
6/76 on my ballot
I have not seen either movie.
Was this the Spiderman with the little boy who becomes Spiderman? That is definitely a sweet idea. Reminds me of my nephew when he was little wearing Spiderman drawers and carrying around his Spidey doll.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire is a costume drama. i haven't been into costume dramas in quite awhile or romance either

I thought Portrait of a Lady on Fire was one of the very best of 2019, easily one of the best looking movies of the decade, not on my ballot but definitely my Top 100...and I am happily surprised to find out how many other MoFo love it, too. Happily shocked, more like.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I think your #s 4 and 6 are identical to my #s 4 and 6. My #1 could be your 19 or 23.
I know you’re a fan of both 4 and 6 so it’s possible. I don’t think you’re a fan of 19 or 23, if you have seen them.

Well, well, well.

Haven't seen Portrait of a Lady on Fire.

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse was my #22. An invigorating spin on the by-now familiar Spiderman origin story focusing on Miles Morales and his growth into the webslinger we know and love. As it turns out, he's not the only one who's been tasked to help stop Kingpin from destroying the world. The chemistry between both Miles and Peter B and Miles and Gwen helps to give a fresh spin on the story and leads to funny moments. Throw in May, who proves to be a guardian angel of sorts and Jefferson, Mile's father who has issues with Spidey's vigilantism as a decorated cop and you got a good story brewing. The voice cast brings the various characters to life. And although it's a grittier take on the familiar tale, it still has time for fun moments such as Miles learning how to websling his way through the city. Throw in a cool soundtrack and the film really took off for me.

I hope there's room for one more comic book film on this list.

By the way, if that wish doesn't happen, I think I got one more film reveal on my list total after today. Which should leave 11 reveal and 14 left to reveal. C'est la vie.

I know you’re a fan of both 4 and 6 so it’s possible. I don’t think you’re a fan of 19 or 23, if you have seen them.
My #1 missed your list then, I know you like it but it was probably borderline.

5/76 on the list
41/76 seen

Here's my prediction for what will show on my ballot

1. no way in h ll.
2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
3. most definitely
4. highly unlikely
5. no way in h ll
6. highly likely
7. doubt it
8. probably not
9. don't think so
10. could be
11. maybe
12. don't know
13. probably
14. should but won't
15. probably not
16. The Descendants (2011)
17. probably not
18. it should but won't
19. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
20. maybe
21. Spotlight (2015)
22. probably not
23. Boyhood (2014)
24. probably not
25. don't think so

Okay, I have 5 not 6 like I thought I had. There are 3 I feel confident will be in the top 25 and 3 I have hopes for. Everything else I figure will be a wash.