The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A couple of crowd-pleasing, family-friendly movies from 2012 that I liked and even gave similar ratings. I don't love either of them or anything but had a good time watching and they could make for a great doubleheader one night. But which one do you watch first...
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Christoph Waltz: Wins an Oscar
Rodent: He's under recognised!

I think I meant his nuanced performance you don't seem to really notice him in the movei itself.
He has flare but seems to be "just a character".... yet he's the one who ties the movie together, which is probably why he won the Oscar.

A system of cells interlinked
Blimey. That's really high for an MCU film. Oh well.

Django Unchained was good, but I wasn't over the moon for it. I would probably never watch it again, as I consider it to be lower tier stuff from Tarantino.

No votes!

I don't have much to add regarding Django, except I'm an absolute fan & really enjoyed that theater experience and watching since. Though I think only once, as it rather time-consuming. The only other western on my list, is True Grit which has already shown. Tarantino and the lead roles put their heart into this one and it shows, my #19

Avengers is pretty mid, but it has its entertainment value. I've never bothered keeping up further with the series

My List:
2. Interstellar (2014)
4. True Grit (2010)
6. Hereditary (2018)
11. Uncut Gems (2019)
12. The Lighthouse (2019)
13. The Act of Killing (2012)
18. Midnight in Paris (2011)
19. Django Unchained (2012)
20. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
25. Death at a Funeral (2010). (1 Pter)

Django Unchained was #12 on the MoFo Top 100 Westerns while The Avengers was #4 on the MoFo Top 100 Comic Book Movies as well as #62 on the MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Looks like the pattern is broken, since I've seen both of today's films as well.

Despite the fact that I was one of the weirdos dressed up in costume for the midnight screening of Avengers, I didn't even consider voting for it. At the time it was this massive cinematic event, but its not really something I particularly care about a decade later. MCU burnout has hit me pretty hard lately, and I think it's retroactively affecting my opinion of the franchise's earlier films. I'll always cherish the memories I had with my friends in the theatre, but I think I'm just personally over the Avengers.

I didn't vote for Django Unchained either, even though I really enjoyed Christoph Waltz' performance. I remember the film was a bit of a mixed bag for me when I first saw it, but I apparently liked it enough to buy it on BluRay haha.

Seen: 52/74

My List: 11  

Actor stats

Scarlett Johansson
Chris Evans

Mark Ruffalo
Jessica Chastain
Domhnall Gleeson

Brie Larson
Samuel L. Jackson
Michael Shannon
Leonardo DiCaprio
Matt Damon
Robert Downey Jr.
Chris Hemsworth
Chris Pratt
Jeremy Renner

(pls let me know if I forgot one)

lol @ hint.. avenging his daughter, duh.. Did anybody get that..?
Django is fine as long as it doesn't affect The Hateful Eight's chance of making it.

The Avengers is another great theater experience to show up on the countdown. Especially back in 2012 before the Marvel overkill phase. I remember being pretty hyped after the after credit when we first got a glimpse of the almighty THANOS. Also, this one has a sufficient amount of HULK screentime. No vote, but it deserves to be here.

SEEN 59/74
BALLOT 15/25

Welcome to the human race...
No votes.

The Avengers exists in a kind of no-man's-land for me. one that arguably looks better in the aftermath of sequels and spin-offs that sought escalation at all costs but buckled under their own ever-increasing weight compared to this one's comparatively simple set-up of six heroes joining forces. Does that mean it's a good film? Not really, no. The seeds for the rest of the franchise were already planted, but here they come to bear fruit - but fruit is going to rot eventually, and all the charismatic actors and quip-happy writer-directors can only make so much of a difference. Have to wonder how many more MCU films are likely to crack the list at this rate - I suppose the only real contenders left might be Infinity War and Thor: Ragnarok but I also figure that their particular modes are represented by Endgame and GOTG respectively.

As much as I like Tarantino in general, Django Unchained is a prime contender for my least favourite film of his. I can certainly understand the appeal, following up Inglourious Basterds with another historical revenge epic that finally sees him make a Western after dancing around the genre in previous outings and ditching that film's bifurcated narrative in favour of a straightforward (anti-)hero's journey to become capable of rescuing his own true love from the most horrendous slavers in the land. But this is simple to a fault, especially in an overly long film that seems largely dependent on superficial details like outsized performances (hot take: I don't think DiCaprio is good in this) and bombastic displays of violence that still somehow pale in comparison to ones he's done before and since. Never mind the whole question of whether or not a director like Tarantino can actually handle depicting a subject as touchy as slavery regardless of whether he has good intentions.

Tremendous. Likening this to a workplace comedy is like professional critic stuff.
would chuckle inwardly at again.
All I'm saying is that it would make a good double-bill with Clerks.

I like The Avengers; probably Top 5 MCU film for me. For what it is, I think it delivers extremely well. It's fun and has good cartoon action. As usual, the MCU roof/floor difference is not that big, but this is one of the best, as far as I'm concerned. Here is my review on Letterboxd.

I haven't seen Django Unchained in 8 years, but I remember liking it, but putting it on my Tarantino lower tier. I think the very last act hurts the film a bit, but most of the performances are top notch; Samuel L. Jackson, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, they're all excellent. Maybe the issue is that I've never considered Foxx to be an interesting/compelling actor and that last act falls mostly on him, since Waltz is out of the picture already. I should probably rewatch it.

So, here's where I'm at, including the chances for the rest of my list...

Seen: 55/74

My ballot:  

The Avengers actually looks much better than I remember Django Unchained being....my old review:

Django Unchained (2012)

If you don't care about logic or how characters act within the framework of the movie then you just might like Quentin's nod to the Spaghetti Western. At almost 3 hours I found the movie painfully long. If you're going to make a 3 hour movie it needs to be a sweeping epic or have deep characters who's complexities grow during the length of the movie...But that doesn't happen here. Django Unchained is just a shoot-em-up film to enjoy while you guzzle your favorite beverage and eat voluminous amounts of day old popcorn.

Django Unchained ask you to swallow a lot too all in the name of kitsch film making. We are introduced to the film with a promising start with the introduction of a German bounty hunter (Christoph Waltz). The bounty hunter is smart, savvy and uses the letter of the law to his own advantage. With his silver tongue and fancy vocabulary he can extract himself out of sticky situations.

The bounty hunter is the best part of the film. The worst part is the high body count, 64 'fun' deaths for those who enjoy that sorta thing. And if you enjoy hearing the N word used ad nausea, it's done 110 times which earned the film tons notoriety and free press too. Though laughably when Tarantino is on screen he never dare uses that word himself and this is of course a Tarantino written and directed piece of entertainment.

The Avengers was fun but I never considered it in the top tier of Marvel movies, much less of the decade.

I don't love Tarantino and I particularly didn't love Django Unchained. My in-laws did get me his book for Hanukkah so I guess I'm reading it--maybe I'll like him better as an author than a filmmaker?

Hmmm... Now that The Lighthouse has made it, and by the transitive law of popularity, I know my number 5 (The Look of Silence), is not making and another movie in my top 10 is making it, that leaves two others (and I think the only movies left not accounted for are my #2-4), I now get to wonder, "huh, of my top 10 will those two make it? And if not, I wouldn't have guessed Burning was that much more well known and loved comparatively).

We're cutting it close, but I think their odds are still good. I really can't predict the tastes of this forum very well.

Fun fact about The Avengers: Literally every element of the climax is stolen from Transformers 3, a much better film.

It's fine, but I never felt like watching it again in all the years after it came out.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Nemesis to the decorous ideals of cinema, The Avengers is nothing but a negation of true artistry. This overwhelming monstrosity utilizes an outrageous CGI conglomerate to conjure a counterfeit of idolized comic-strip mediocrity. As a result, the CGI transformations of the human in this rickety excrement are completely intolerable in terms of aesthetics, giving up relevant concerns and utopian ideals for a comic-induced aura of legitimacy.

The characters within are base conduits of comic strip mythos, charged with the abominable task of blunting the notion of justice in favor of saturnalian shenanigans. A visually bland experience, with cinematography confined to the realms of prosaic utility, shows little appetite for escalating the fracas of dramaturgy. The cast represents a gathering of marketable thespians, whose lack of incentive to act mars the potential for gloaming immersion.

Notwithstanding the repugnant implications of its franchised formula, this blimpish attempt to evoke adolescent fantasy is a dissolute travesty of cinema, making any attempt to generate quality a laughable concept whose puny value gives rise to further tongue-in-cheek retrogression. Consequently, The Avengers becomes a sprawling anomie against cinema's commanding power, supplying a perfect exemplar of the most boorish vacuity.

Marvel is essentially poisoning the well of cinema, and it's unfortunate that some people are too blinded to recognize this.

An unapologetic synthesis of post-modern idolatry helmed by a director who draws from the work of masters, Django Unchained offers a hefty disarray of flippant, crass, cartoonish, and acerbic tomfoolery. The ensemble of characters firing in what some would call an opulent fashion makes for electric scenes of lurid suspense and dazzling engagements of dialogue-heavy standoffs. In the latter, it is not uncommon to find Waltz and DiCaprio leading the show with their own respective brands of wry wit, indicative of Tarantino's signature vivaciousness.

There is no question of where characters stand in the film as Tarantino unflinchingly depicts the ugly side of Americana by exploiting the vestigial recollection of slavery. This refreshingly equitable perspective is thusly couched in atonal satire, blinding in its raw and uncompromising aesthetic. The plethora of blustering performances and jocular cameos earn the film a level of watchability that is easily digestible, yet still retains some of the much-needed quality.

On the flip side, exhibited at various points of its runtime is a lack of finesse and eloquence that makes certain scenes hard to swallow but doesn't tarnish sum total, making the unshackled hero's journey a worthwhile if uneven experience.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I had Avengers at 15. Just the ultimate summer blockbuster film in my opinion.

Here's my updated list

1. The Descendants (2011)
3. Manchester by the Sea (2016)
7. Gravity (2013)
11. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
12. Take Shelter (2011)
13. Melancholia (2011)
15. The Avengers (2012)
18. 1917 (2019)

I think it's still reasonable another 10 of mine make it

Django Unchained was actually #1 on my list.

It was the first ever QT that I watched in the cinemas and at the time it was also the only movie I had ever went to see twice in the theater. It’s such a blast and I really, really love it.

I know it’s far from a favorite QT in many people’s eyes, but I must say I’m quite surprised to see it this low. I was sure of Top 20 and maybe even top 10. I’ll be damned…

As for The Avengers, I disliked it back on release, but after kind of getting into the MCU properly and watching/rewatching everything closely next to each other and then dive into The Avengers, it worked so much better. It’s still far from my favorite MCU film and I still have a love/hate relationship with those movies, but it’s decent entertainment. I don’t think it deserves to be this high though. But I know it’s a crowd pleaser for the masses so I guess it makes sense.

I’m shocked that these are both so high.

Avengers was great when it first came out but now feels eclipsed by newer better MCU movies.

Despite being a big Tarantino fan I’ve only seen Django Unchained once and it’s my least favorite of his. It’s too long and disjointed and I don’t really care about any of the characters.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I like bits of The Avengers but do get a bit bored of it all at once. Sure, it was the first time they brought all these superheroes together, but I think some of what I do like about superhero movies is refined better in some if the later films like Winter Soldier, Civil War and Infinity War. I see why people picked it, though, and in some ways it makes sense that this is the top of the Marvel movies in the countdown.

Django Unchained. The tipping point of my Tarantino fatigue. Like Inglourious Basterds, there a few good tense scenes and then a lot of tedious over the top violence. I haven't even watched The Hateful 8 and hoping this is the last Tarantino movie to make the countdown.

I hadn't seen either one.

Those clues from SpellingError are very tricky.