Oscar's Best Picture 2023

Tools    

Which gets your vote for Oscar's Best Picture?
0%
0 votes
All Quiet on the Western Front
7.14%
2 votes
32.14%
9 votes
The Banshees of Inisherin
7.14%
2 votes
Elvis
28.57%
8 votes
Everything Everywhere All at Once
10.71%
3 votes
The Fablemans
0%
0 votes
Tár
10.71%
3 votes
Top Gun: Maverick
3.57%
1 votes
Triangle of Sadness
0%
0 votes
Women Talking
28 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are the ten nominees for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Science's top award...

All Quiet on the Western Front
The Banshees on Inisherin
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Fablemans
Tár
Top Gun: Maverick
Triangle of Sadness
Women Talking
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
As usual, I have some catching up to do before the awards. I have only seen 3 of these...

I've seen 7 of these. Everything Everywhere All At Once is my favourite of the nominees, with The Fabelmans being a close second. Avatar Way of Water would be my least favourite of the nominees that I have seen.

Just watched the trailer for Aftersun. Really want to see this now...
It's easily the best film of the year. But I'll refrain from stinking this thread up with my awards grievances like I do every year.

A system of cells interlinked
It's easily the best film of the year. But I'll refrain from stinking this thread up with my awards grievances like I do every year.
High praise. Will track it down and watch it asap. I am a sucker for any dad/daughter story these days, so I am thinking this will be quite a moving film for me.

High praise. Will track it down and watch it asap. I am a sucker for any dad/daughter story these days, so I am thinking this will be quite a moving film for me.
Oh if that's the case I can't see you not loving it. I was in bits watchng it. Especially the last 30 mins. It's a film that you'd expect to come from a seasoned European director like Assayas, Ozon, Denis. Not a young Scottish girl fresh out of college making her debut film.

Let me just say that none of the movies on this list that I’ve seen blew me away. 2022 was probably the least exciting, worst year for film. I don’t understand the hype with Everything Everywhere All at Once, but I’m sure it’s going to win. The Fabelmans was just okay. Top Gun: Maverick was a fun popcorn movie but does not deserve Best Picture. Avatar 2 was good, but not a masterpiece. The rest of the films were either too boring, too slow, too confusing... what happened to the times when truly great films were coming out and winning awards? The 90’s come to mind. Titanic, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, The Silence of the Lambs, American Beauty... films that audiences and critics loved and that still hold up today. None of these movies will be remembered a few years from now. Like, seriously... who still talks about Roma, Green Book, The Shape of Water, Moonlight?
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The trick is not minding
The Fabelmans should be the deserving winners here, but I really should see the rest. All were on my watch list regardless, so I’ll get to them all eventually.

I've only seen Avatar, Top Gun & Banshees. All have their value but Avatar was by far my favorite & I'm shocked if another release beats it

I say this every year but I will genuinely try to watch all the nominations for picture

Avatar was by far my favorite & I'm shocked if another release beats it
You should get your shock out of the way now and not let it build up and become a potential medical issue down the line. No way in heck Avatar: The Way of Water wins Best Picture. None.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've seen 6/10 so far, with Banshees or Fabelmans being my favorite thus far. Need to see Triangle, Everything, Elvis, and Women Talking.

All Quiet is easily my least favorite. Just don't get the hype at all really.

Welcome to the human race...
what happened to the times when truly great films were coming out and winning awards? The 90’s come to mind. Titanic, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, The Silence of the Lambs, American Beauty... films that audiences and critics loved and that still hold up today. None of these movies will be remembered a few years from now. Like, seriously... who still talks about Roma, Green Book, The Shape of Water, Moonlight?
Obviously, we won't know for sure until at least 20 years have passed and we can see what has actually stood the test of time. The '90s did also give us punchlines like The English Patient and Shakespeare in Love, after all (never mind how I'd personally disagree about films like Braveheart or American Beauty being "great" films). There's also the way in which movie-going trends have changed in the past couple of decades where the most popular films are shallow blockbusters so when it comes time to actually award films for merit they have to go for these lesser-known titles that mass audiences don't care about. In any case, enough people still liked The Shape of Water and Moonlight to put them on the 2010s countdown so that's got to mean something.