The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

There are so many films out there from so many corners of the world, I find it strange that anyone could write 'contemporary cinema' off for not suiting their tastes. It's so accessible too.

Victim of The Night
You sound like me! My movie taste is far outside of the range of the average MoFo, making me feel like an outsider (which is OK by me). I use to watch new movies alot, but then almost totally gave up on them a few years ago and focused on deep discovery of 20th century movies.

Sit the 2020s out? Don't we have some years before that countdown will be done? Or am I missing something?
No, no, I just mean that if I am only seeing like 3-4 contemporary films per year, then by 2030 I will only have seen 30-40 movies that even qualify.

Here are tomorrow's hints:

It's Such a Beautiful Day

A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence

Really didn't the second making the list, let alone the top 30. This list is full of surprises.

Victim of The Night
Here are tomorrow's hints:

HAHAHAHA!

Speling, this is the best post of the thread so far.

There are so many films out there from so many corners of the world, I find it strange that anyone could write 'contemporary cinema' off for not suiting their tastes. It's so accessible too.
If you mean me? I'm not writing off contemporary cinema, that's why I join HoFs so I get a smattering of different types of films. But with limited time we all need to choose what we watch. When we choose to watch a film, that means another film isn't watched. I choose to explore older films in the same way the majority of MoFos choose to mainly watch newer films.

Getting in early for once....
28. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
27. Rock Lobster - The B-52's

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
lol

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Victim of The Night
Sigh. I don't really wanna argue about my personal tastes all day but here's what I'll say about this particular point and you can do with it what you will.

Over the last decade or so I have watched more and more and more films from, let's say before 1990 (maybe even 1980). And I have a wonderful track-record with them. Really special films abound and even among the rank and file I find so much to like and get real enjoyment out of them. At the same time, I find fewer and fewer gems in the contemporary films that I see. Now that may just be bad luck or not getting the right recommendations or whatever, but it is a fact of life.
Part of it, obviously, is that for a film from the 1950s or 1970s or whatever to still be readily available and for it to have enough shine on it for me to watch it, it will have been vetted to some degree or other and so my bets are inherently hedged. But new movies, you got nothing. You got a RottenTomatoes score that essentially means nothing, you got an IMDB score that never seems to remotely reflect my taste in films, and there will likely be a paucity of IRL people I can turn to who will have seen it and whose opinions on movies have anything to do with mine. In short, these films are comparatively unvetted and I am walking essentially naked into them and get burned way, way too often.
There is almost nothing on Earth I hate more than having my time wasted and, while there are a few contemporary films every year that make me feel like my time was well spent, the percentage of the time that the opposite was true finally basically ran me out of the cinema. I don't want to take the chance anymore, at 50 years old, of wasting 20, 30, 40 or more hours a year watching shitty movies.
So, really what we're talking about here is a matter of the vetting of older films versus newer ones. And then my feeling that studios really don't seem to like originality and daring very much. Except on those rare occasions when they do.

Wow- I didn't expect The Lighthouse to make the top 30 but I'm thrilled to see it on here.

You really see Pattinson and Dafoe at their full acting potential here, and they compliment each other well. It's funny, it's eerie, disturbing, twsited, and in just some bizzare way a cozy watch. my #12

I haven't seen Incendies but it looks right up my alley, so I will change that

My List:
2. Interstellar (2014)
4. True Grit (2010)
6. Hereditary (2018)
11. Uncut Gems (2019)
12. The Lighthouse (2019)
13. The Act of Killing (2012)
18. Midnight in Paris (2011)
20. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
25. Death at a Funeral (2010). (1 Pter)

Incendies is my #1. Watched it relatively recently and was blown away. Definitely my favorite Villeneuve. Amazing storytelling, and just an all around masterpiece of a film. I generally suck at lists because it's hard for me to pinpoint a favorite but I had to pick one, and Incendies it is.

Glad to see The Lighthouse make it as well, I ranked it at #15. I was particularly impressed by the black-and-white visuals and the atmosphere. Pattinson and especially Dafoe were superb.

Incendies was #61 on the MoFo Top 100 Foreign Films list.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Incendies was up very high on my ballot, my fourth overall choice, good for twenty-two of its 178 points. I first saw Incendies at a screening for the Portland International Film Festival and was blown away. With all Villeneuve has done since and his increased budgets and spotlight, Incendies remains my favorite. HERE is my original review from 2011.

HOLDEN PIKE’S LIST
4. Incendies (#30)
5. Take Shelter (#67)
6. The Artist (#87)
8. Silence (#43)
10. The Revenant (#53)
11. The Favourite (#61)
14. Nightcrawler (#55)
15. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (#72)
21. Room (#97)
22. True Grit (#40)

And yes, now I am almost positive Denis Villeneuve will wind up with five titles on the countdown.

If you mean me? I'm not writing off contemporary cinema, that's why I join HoFs so I get a smattering of different types of films. But with limited time we all need to choose what we watch. When we choose to watch a film, that means another film isn't watched. I choose to explore older films in the same way the majority of MoFos choose to mainly watch newer films.
To nobody in particular. I choose both. In 2022, I watched 90 films from 2022 and 140 from years gone by. I found loads and loads and loads of films from both categories absolutely brilliant.

I guess were all different.

37/72 seen
6/72 on my ballot
34. Gravity nope/saw it
33. Interstellar nope/saw it
32. Boyhood yes, it is my number 20 or so.
31. The Irishman nope/ haven't seen it. Waiting for a free three hours
30. Incendies nope/haven't seen it. Don't know what it is about.
29. The Lighthouse nope/I hear good things about it. But I don't really care.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I agree. It seems that Spider-Verse might be the only one to sneak in the last stretch. Surprising, since I think the animation output was quite strong that decade.
I'd say It's Such a Beautiful Day will still make it. Seems insanely high but people love it. Rango as a super dark horse.

To nobody in particular. I choose both. In 2022, I watched 90 films from 2022 and 140 from years gone by. I found loads and loads and loads of films from both categories absolutely brilliant.

I guess were all different.
I'm not!