The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

32. Youth
31. was gonna say Leave No Trace again but I'll go with Whitewash instead.

32. Good Time
31. The House That Jack Built

Sometimes it's fun trying to think of a guess when you're late to the party and all the good ones are taken, and other times you have to pick something you know isn't making the list anyway haha.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
And heres the last of my predicted last 32 with a bit of help. There's admittedly 3 on there that I'm not certain of but this is my best guess:

Mad Max Fury Road
Blade Runner 2049
Parasite
The Master
La La Land
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Get Out
Arrival
Her
Wolf of Wall Street
Grand Budapest Hotel
12 Years a Slave
Birdman
Inside Llewellyn Davis
Tree of Life
Social Network
It's Such A Beautiful Day
Boyhood
Phantom Thread
Shoplifters
Florida Project
Whiplash
Us
Lady Bird
Inception
Drive
Avengers
Django Unchained
Incendies
Lighthouse
Call Me By Your Name
The Hateful 8

Sometimes it's fun trying to think of a guess when you're late to the party and all the good ones are taken, and other times you have to pick something you know isn't making the list anyway haha.
This be me. Every day

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
And heres the last of my predicted last 32 with a bit of help. There's admittedly 3 on there that I'm not certain of but this is my best guess

I think Your Name has more chance than Call Me By Your Name. I also don't think all three of those Tarantino films will be there (hopefully). I doubt Ladybird or Us will be top 30. But then I didn't predict True Grit or Melancholia as high as they were so who knows...

A system of cells interlinked
I have a feeling Cameraperson is getting snubbed too...
I thought for sure this would make it, but we are so high up now, I am thinking you may be right.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think Your Name has more chance than Call Me By Your Name. I also don't think all three of those Tarantino films will be there (hopefully). I doubt Ladybird or Us will be top 30. But then I didn't predict True Grit or Melancholia as high as they were so who knows...
I feel like Tarantino kind of rules this place. I'm confident in 2, but uncertain on Hateful 8

I wake up and apparently Rauldc stole Nope’s account. It has to be, because there is no way two mofos are that cranky.

I agree with Rauldc’s list with a couple of big question marks. I would replace Incendies with Blue Is The Warmest Color though.

169 points, 12 lists
Boyhood
Director

Richard Linklater, 2014

Starring

Ellar Coltrane, Patricia Arquette, Ethan Hawke, Lorelei Linklater

170 points, 12 lists
The Irishman
Director

Martin Scorsese, 2019

Starring

Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, Stephen Graham

Trivia

Boyhood - Richard Linklater cast his daughter Lorelei Linklater as Samantha because she was always singing and dancing around the house and wanted to be in his movies. At about the third or fourth year of filming, she lost interest and asked for her character to be killed off. Linklater refused, saying it was too violent for what he was planning (Lorelei eventually regained her enthusiasm and continued with the project).
The Irishman - According to Deadline, before accepting the role of Russell Bufalino, Joe Pesci refused multiple times to come out of retirement in order to appear in this film. Some sources say the actual number of refusals was fifty.

MoFo Reviewers

Boyhood

Some say there was no plot, no action, no real story. They say it was just a bunch of filmed sequences in the life of a small boy as he grew...Boyhood is not a feel good Hollywood block buster movie. Instead it's a shining example of what an Indie film maker can achieve in the art of cinema...For those who think Boyhood is just a collection of arbitrary moments with no story. I say those moments are the story. Those moments are what life is about....
Read the full review here.

The Irishman

The tone and pace of the film were absorbing. Scorsese took Steven Zaillian's screenplay (from the book by Charles Brandt) and allowed ample time for the characters to develop their relationships-- a pleasing change from today's split second, short attention span action flicks. The cinematography by Rodgrigo Prieto --a veteran of films by Innaritu, Stone, and Scorsese-- is captivating, with perfect framing and lighting.
Read the full review here.

mark f

Boyhood (Richard Linklater, 2014)

Ellar Coltrane experiences a moment in time in middle school in the ambitious yet awkward critical darling.
The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)
7/10

Teamster/hitman Robert De Niro seems to be at the center of many major occurrences in the 1950s-1970s but at what cost?
Neither film made mark f's ballot.

The Irishman was my #10.

This is gonna sound really lame, but I'm very impressed by films that are very long but never get boring. I think that's just ridiculously hard to do. I've seen The Irishman twice and I wasn't bored either time. I think I planned to watch it in two halves (the necessity of my schedule at the time, unfortunately), and either watched it all at once or watched way more of it than I was planning to, or just really really didn't want to stop. Something like that. The time flew by, is the point. And the idea that I'd watch something of that length again, almost on a lark, is so wildly out of character for me that I had to put this high on my list, just to express the value from that sheer rarity.

I love the slow burn, I love how Marty kept nudging the slider in his mobster films away from the violence and more towards the personal, to the point where this film, on a per-minute basis, seems to contain almost none of the things you might think of when you first think of, say, Goodfellas. It's like he weaned us off that stuff over several films and as many decades, and by the time you get to the end, the message is unmistakable. His condemnation of the lifestyle could not be more obvious, has been obvious for awhile, but enough people misread it that he had to issue this bucket of cold water, this cinematic slap to the face, to make it clear to anyone remotely capable of understanding, so that anyone who still didn't would be forever a lost cause.

Reply to Topic