The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Sicario I thought was well made, well acted and thought provoking but I didn't quite like it. Which is pretty much how I feel about most Dennis Villeneuve movies, come to think of it.

Burning I have yet to watch.

Sicario was great but as mentioned above that third act argh. I find this to be the case with some of Villeneuve's films. Hey at least it wasn't as bad as the ending of Incendies - way to ruin an amazing film.

Burning is an exceptional film from a director that never disappoints. It would have made my top 50 of the decade and very happy to see it so high. Only on 9 lists (vs Sicario's 13) so it looks like some folks had it near the top of their lists.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Yet two more movies I've not seen. So I guess I can't comment on them.
This is going to be me during the 2020s countdown unless I get my act together.

Victim of The Night
I had Sicario at 15.
This is a movie that I was loath to see because I wondered why I should care about another military/drug-cartel procedural/action thriller.
Then I saw the movie and not only was it one of the best of those I've ever seen, if not the best, but in its third act, it actually transcends itself somehow and becomes something close to a mini-masterpiece, in my opinion. Really surprised the hell out of me. I left it thinking, "Damn, I didn't see almost any of that coming."
Also, Del Toro was so good in this it changed the way I think about him as an actor forever. In a cast of really good actors all doing great work, he left everyone in the dust by the end of the scene at the dinner table.

Amusingly, the films I have at 16, 17, and 18 are all definitely going to make this list higher up than my 15.

Sicario is a great film. I really like it. It’s not utterly amazing or anything, as I feel like it’s missing something to become that, but overall really great, well made, well acted and nice skills on display for Villeneuve. I’m glad it’s on here (not like I didn’t expect it to be).

Burning I knew would pop up even if I haven’t seen it. I’m very interested in it and has been for a long time. Hopefully I’ll get around it some day soon.

Burning is a great thriller and was my #13. Sicario is very good too, but was a late cut.

My List:
2. Take Shelter (#67)
4. Midnight in Paris (#45)
5. The Shape of Water (#52)
9. Nightcrawler (#55)
13. Burning (#35)
15. A Separation (#90)
16. Ex Machina (#49)
22. Knives Out (#74)
25. The Mill and the Cross (1-pointer)

36. The Babadook
35. Searching
Oh The Babadook, I wish that was on my list. This horror film does an excellent job of showing what having a psychotic break looks and feels like. It is also highly entertaining.

I had Sicario at 15.
This is a movie that I was loath to see because I wondered why I should care about another military/drug-cartel procedural/action thriller.
This is why I didn't see this film.

33/66 seen
5/66 on my ballot
I have never seen Sicario. I was put off by the mise-en-scene. Even if it has Del Toro in it.
I had never even heard of Burning. I am not that familiar with Korean cinema But what I have read here sounds interesting.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Sicario was my #19

I am an unabashed Villeneuve devotee, and this is excellent stuff from the director. I love the tight pacing, the tension that builds to almost intolerable levels as the film moves along, crisp performances, and its incisive takedown of the intelligence agencies in the US, which I tend to usually be a fan of. Add in a great score and a chilling atmosphere, and you have an easy entry on my ballot.

I've not seen Burning.
Basically this but it was my #11.

...I had never even heard of Burning. I am not that familiar with Korean cinema But what I have read here sounds interesting.
Oh Burning is Koran cinema? I strongly dislike most of what I've seen of Korean cinema. It's like Tarantino with subtitles.

I watched and really enjoyed Burning.

I haven't seen Sicario despite it sounding on paper like exactly the kind of film I'd enjoy. Guess I'll get around to rectifying that. (It's on Amazon Prime, apparently).

I've seen Sicario and I liked it. Maybe because that it is not my type of a movie, it comes really later when I list my favorite Villeneuve movies and it didn't make my ballot.

Burning was my #3. I really like this movie and I mean like it's obvious a bit :-). I ran across Burning in TV like a year later its release and I couldn't leave it for a minute. I don't remember any movie has done that to me for like last 10 years maybe. I really wondered every scene of it and I can say that every scene has a fit in the idea and order of the movie. Anyway it was one of the most personal movies that I put to my ballot.

My ballot now:

2)A Separation
3)Burning
6)Room
8)The Favourite
12)Black Swan
14)Toy Story 3
23)The Revenant