The 2022 MoFo Film Awards - Nominations

Tools    

After a two year hiatus, the MoFo Film Awards are back!
The deadline for submitting your nominations is March 20th.

What is this?
Formerly hosted by TheUsualSuspect, the MoFo Film Awards are pretty much our version of the Oscars. The categories differ slightly, and even include places to vent about your least favourite film or biggest disappointment of the year. Once I've collected your nominations, I'll reveal the finalists in another thread, where we'll have one month to vote for the winners.

How does it work?
For each category, you're able to select up to 5 films, people, or scenes to nominate (whichever is relevant). These choices are ranked, so your #1 choice will receive 5 points, #2 will receive 4 points, and so on. You do not need to make 5 selections if you don't want to, and your #1 choice will still be worth the full 5 points if you submit a partial ballot. Make sure to PM your nominations to me before the deadline.

Do I have to nominate something for every category?
No, you don't. If you didn't see any documentaries this year, you don't need to randomly choose one, unless you want to. I don't recommend nominating films you haven't seen, but you do you!

Should I keep what I'm nominating a secret?
I do not recommend posting your final ballot in the thread, however unlike the Countdowns and Hall of Fames, talking about how you plan to vote will not cause your nominations to be disqualified. Feel free to post WIP shortlists, or to campaign for specific films or performances.

Some films have conflicting release date information online. How do I know if a film is eligible for these awards?
Any "festival films" that were only shown in places such as the Toronto or Berlin International Film Festivals during 2021, but not given a wide theatrical release until 2022 are automatically eligible, since the majority of us are unable to see them during their initial festival window. Check the bottom of this post for a list of notable films with hybrid release dates, and feel free to suggest additions. If a film has conflicting information online, but is not a festival film, its eligibility will be open for discussion.

What is this “Mixed Bag” Award?
That is up to you to decide! Is there a film that had some great moments, but overall fell short of being great? Perhaps there was something problematic in (or around) a film that makes you feel kinda “eeehh” about the whole thing. Did you think a film was so perfectly mediocre that it should be called out? This is the category to express any of that!

Can I nominate the same actor for multiple performances?
Yes, you can.

Can I nominate the same role for both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor?
Yes! I'm pretty sure I've even done this myself when I couldn't decide how exactly to classify the performance. If you'd like to see how other people feel about it first, don't hesitate to ask in the thread.

How do I let you know which scene I want to nominate for the relevant categories?
Try your best to describe it without giving too many spoilers, if possible. If clarification is needed, I will ask. If you know I've seen a film (feel free to creep on my letterboxd to do so), spoilers are fine.

Is it possible to alter my ballot after I sent it?
While you may not make any changes to the selections you have already sent, you may add extra nominations to any category, as long as you didn't already have the maximum of 5 submitted. Any such additions must also be received before the deadline.

What happens if I don't nominate anything? Can I still vote for a winner later?
Yes! You do not need to participate in this round of the Film Awards in order to vote for your favourites later on. However, you will have to forfeit the right to complain about the available choices if you didn't nominate anything yourself.

My question wasn't covered here, what do I do?
You can ask in the thread, or PM me if you're not comfortable posting your question publicly.

~.~

Notable 2021/2022 Films:
After Yang (Dir. Kogonada)
Boiling Point (Dir. Philip Barantini)
Ennio (Dir. Giuseppe Tornatore)
The Good Boss (Dir. Fernando León de Aranoa)
Great Freedom/Große Freiheit (Dir. Sebastian Meise)
Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song (Dir. Daniel Geller, Dayna Goldfine)
Mad God (Dir. Phil Tippett)
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (Dir. Dean Fleischer Camp)
Memoria (Dir. Apichatpong Weerasethakul)
My Best Friend Anne Frank/Mijn beste vriendin Anne Frank (Dir. Ben Sombogaart)
Official Competition (Dir. Gastón Duprat, Mariano Cohn)
Paris, 13th District (Dir. Jacques Audiard)
Red Rocket (Dir. Sean Baker)
The Tragedy of Macbeth (Dir. Joel Coen)
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	topbanner-s.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	90977  

The Categories are:

Best Film of The Year
Worst Film of the Year
Best Director of the Year
Best Actor of the Year*
Best Actress of the Year*
Best Supporting Actor of the Year*
Best Supporting Actress of the Year*
Best Screenplay of the Year
Best Animated Film of the Year
Best Documentary Film of the Year
Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Biggest Surprise of the Year
Biggest Disappointment of the Year
Most Overrated Film of the Year
Most Underrated Film of the Year
Most Memorable Scene of the Year**
Funniest Scene of the Year**
“Mixed-Bag” Award of the Year
Best Ensemble Cast of the Year
Best Cinematography of the Year
Breakout Performance of the Year
Best Score
Best Sound Design
Best Visual Effects

*-Please state the name of the actor, as well as the film's title
**-Please avoid massive spoilers if possible.

Here's an optional form you can copy  

Received Lists:
Allaby
ApexPredator
CosmicRunaway
Frightened Inmate No. 2
Harry Lime
Holden Pike
John-Connor
Iroquois
LAMb EELYAK
mrblond
PHOENIX74
rauldc14
sawduck
ScarletLion
seanc
Siddon
TheUsualSuspect
Thursday Next
Torgo
Tugg

~.~

The rest of this post is just some information for anyone curious. I'm not going to list all the previous winners for every category, but since Suspect always kept track of the two major ones, I'll continue that tradition. For anyone who is new to the forum and would like to see how the previous nominations and awards threads were handled, there's links to a few of those as well.

2018 and 19 saw a fairly large drop in participants compared to previous years, but we'll be going ahead with these awards even if we only get half that turnout.

Previous Best Film and Best Director Winners:
2013 Best Film of the Year: Gravity
2014 Best Film of the Year: Birdman
2015 Best Film of the Year: Mad Max: Fury Road
2016 Best Film of the Year: La La Land & Manchester By The Sea
2017 Best Film of the Year: Blade Runner: 2049
2018 Best Film of the Year: Roma
2019 Best Film of the Year: Parasite

2013 Best Director of the Year: Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity
2014 Best Director of the Year: Alejandro González Iñárritu - Birdman
2015 Best Director of the Year: George Miller - Mad Max
2016 Best Director of the Year: Damien Chazelle - La La Land
2017 Best Director of the Year: Guillermo del Toro - The Shape of Water
2018 Best Director of the Year: Alfonso Cuaron - Roma
2019 Best Director of the Year: Bong Joon Ho - Parasite

Previous Awards Threads:
2019 Film Awards - Nominations
2019 Film Awards
2018 Film Awards - Nominations
2018 Film Awards
2017 Film Awards - Nominations
2017 Film Awards
2016 Film Awards - Nominations
2016 Film Awards

Thanks!

Not sure how much interest there's going to be in reviving this, but I figured I'd start it up again in case any of the newer members who weren't around the last time they were held wanted the chance to participate.

If no one submits a ballot, I'll try again next year haha.

I will definitely send a ballot. Still a few big flicks I am hoping will be available in Feb, so I will wait a bit.

This was always fun, so I am glad to see it revived.

My God, I don't think I've seen more than 10 films from 2022, and most of them were animated films with the kids.

The trick is not minding
Ooh. That gives me 2 months to catch up. I’ll definitely start binging and will submit a ballot.

*circles March 20th on his calendar*

My God, I don't think I've seen more than 10 films from 2022, and most of them were animated films with the kids.
Were any of them worth recommending?

Checking letterboxd, I've seen about 40 films from 2022, and zero of them were animated, haha.

Just for fun, this would be part of my ballot right now

The Categories are:

Best Film of The Year: Prey
Worst Film of the Year: Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Best Director of the Year: Dan Trachtenberg, Prey
Best Actor of the Year*: David Howard Thornton, Terrifier 2
Best Actress of the Year*: Mia Goth, X
Best Supporting Actor of the Year*: Kid Cudi, X
Best Supporting Actress of the Year*: DeWanda Wise, Jurassic World Dominion
Best Screenplay of the Year: Prey
Best Animated Film of the Year: Lightyear
Biggest Surprise of the Year: Prey
Biggest Disappointment of the Year: Jurassic World Dominion
Best Ensemble Cast of the Year: X
Breakout Performance of the Year: Amber Midthunder, Prey

I need to catch up with stuff

Looking forward to participating.
I hate to be that guy and make things more complicated, but which release dates are we using? Mad God and After Yang, for example, are considered 2021 movies at some places and 2022 movies at others.

The trick is not minding
Myself, I always go with theatrical releases in my country during the calendar year, but this is going to differ for Mofos from other countries.
I’d say, check with Cosmicrunaway in pm.

I hate to be that guy and make things more complicated, but which release dates are we using? Mad God and After Yang, for example, are considered 2021 movies at some places and 2022 movies at others.
I actually meant to include that in the questions in the first post. Thanks for bringing it up! I'll edit in the relevant info in a moment.

In previous years, this has always been open for discussion. Often times films will have a limited run in festivals prior to its official release, which is why we frequently see conflicting release date information for them online. Most of us likely aren't able to attend these festivals, so I personally consider any film that didn't get a wide, global release until 2022 eligible.

I can add a list of notable hybrid 2021/2022 films to the first post as well. You guys just need to let me know which ones you want included.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
One example I would consider voting for is Great Freedom. Nominally a 2021 film but only at festivals, most release dates were 2022.

I have added After Yang, Great Freedom, and Mad God to the eligible hybrid list. I think in previous years we had exclusions for festival films that were nominated for the Oscars before their wide release, but I'm not going to be that picky.

Red Rocket was in many festivals in 2021, but was widely released in theatres in 2022.

What about M3gan, which is 2022 on IMDb, but mostly released in theatres in 2023?