The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Dredd

Why is it so dang good? That sound design is so yummy. The opening slides you in from the void of the desert to the bustle of a city. Every cut introduces a new sound to the cacophony of noise that is a Mega City. Then a drone flys onto the screen and that bass line kicks in a little heavier and now you’re getting the sound of a Judge: leather and tactical gear crackling. Then a quick smack to the face when the title blows up and the guitar kicks in. Hold onto your pants!

If you didn’t see this movie in 3D did you even really see it?
Sadly, the 3D thing was what affected Dredd's box office.

3D has been around since the late 1800s, and appears every 20 years or so, is heavily marketed to the new generation of movie-goers for about 4 years, then vanishes for another 20 years before reappearing to dupe the next generation into thinking it's new.
3D is a scam, and doesn't and never will, work.
I can't see fake 3D either as my eyesight doesn't work that way. Fake 3D images just look like blurred 1D images.

After the initial splash 3D made as "new technology" in 2009 with Avatar, by 2012, people had realised that 3D is garbage, and also isn't "new tech".

And sadly, the marketing for Dredd damaged the movie beyond recovery because where I live it was shown in 3D only.
There wasn't a single cinema within 50 miles that was showing it in regular format.
I don't think anyone around here went to see it at my local, as it was only in the cinema for about a week before it was pulled through lack of interest in 3D.

Such a stupid marketing ploy as the movie is awesome.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. When it comes to the "fun" movies that have made the countdown so far, I think Dredd is definitely one of the better ones - not perfect by any means, but its not-too-complicated sci-fi premise and sufficiently varied forms of action make it an enjoyable enough watch that hinted at enough untapped potential while still working as its own thing. I've seen Melancholia once and it was so long ago that I barely remember what opinion I had on it at all - I think I liked it? In any case, I've been meaning to revisit it and I generally like LVT's work so I think I'll give it another watch sometime in the foreseeable future.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Even though I didn't think it was my type of movie, I watched Dredd for this countdown because I loved Karl Urban as Dr. McCoy in the Star Trek movies. It was better than I expected, but it had no chance to make my list.

I also watched Melancholia for this countdown, but I didn't really care for it. It was an interesting concept, but too slow and most of the movie was kind of boring.

You ready? You look ready.
And sadly, the marketing for Dredd damaged the movie beyond recovery because where I live it was shown in 3D only.
There wasn't a single cinema within 50 miles that was showing it in regular format.
I don't think anyone around here went to see it at my local, as it was only in the cinema for about a week before it was pulled through lack of interest in 3D.

Such a stupid marketing ploy as the movie is awesome.
And here my foolish butt was in a seat three separate times for 3D. Because yes, I knew the exact same thing. It was going to get dropped hard and fast. Which is why it’s so insane sequels are dependent on box office numbers when it’s really just idiots in suits making the wrong decisions.

No prob. Though I only really said so because I'd rather prove my victories if I get them. Competitive thing. I don't even use cheat codes anymore unless the game is just than much more wild and fun with them, like SSX On Tour. At least I can say I got it before I read your post, so if we're right that's still cool enough for me.

I didn't even realize you had put Boyhood in until I saw your other comment. I wouldn't have known I got there first if you hadn't said anything.

Just watched The Act of Killing director's cut. Not good for my blood pressure.

Watched The Act of Killing last night and it was everything I expected it to be and more. The way all the people filmed speak with such impunity, without fear of repercussions makes for absolutely fascinating viewing. There's nothing that I really have to say beyond what hasn't already been said or isn't self-evident, but I think the scene that stands out the most is one where they debate whether to shoot a certain scene, not because they are concerned by their personal image, but the image of the county and its history as it will contradict the propaganda that the people are accustomed to.

It probably would have made the bottom half of my list, so a great entry here.

Seen: 49/60.

It's great seeing people watch The Act of Killing because of this countdown. The system works!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

144 points, 11 lists
True Grit
Director

Ethan Coen, 2010

Starring

Jeff Bridges, Hailee Steinfeld, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin

145 points, 10 lists
Guardians of the Galaxy
Director

James Gunn, 2014

Starring

Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldaña, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel

Trivia

True Grit - Because of child labor laws, Joel Coen and Ethan Coen were unable to film any scenes past midnight with Hailee Steinfeld (especially difficult because the movie contains many night scenes), and because of scheduling problems, any time there is a shot of another character over Mattie's shoulder or back, Mattie is played by an adult double, not Steinfeld.
Guardians of the Galaxy - Vin Diesel recorded all his lines in several different languages, including Russian, Mandarin, Spanish, Portuguese, German, and French, so that they could use his real voice in the film around the world.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I was just talking the other day about how I didn't think another Marvel would make the countdown. Then here we are.

I haven't seen True Grit, but I saw the original and liked it a decent bit.

Now I got to think The Avengers should still make it. I'm ok with the Guardians movie making it too.

MoFo Reviewers

True Grit

Jeff Bridges completely wins me over as Cogburn. Bear in mind i havent seen the original True Grit film in 1969, but Bridges just acted so well into the part that he may have given THE John Wayne a run for his money. Matt Damon was also great as The Sheriff. I feel that he might get lost in the rustle for Best Supporting Actor In The Oscars, but never the less, its a mighty swell performance. Josh Brolin i didn't recognise at first. He has that face that you can just recognise in different films because he keeps changing it all the time.
Read the full review here.

Guardians of the Galaxy

There’s an air of untold, hinted history and mysterious backstory going on too. Some of Quill’s history as well and a few future surprises in store that are hinted at. It’s not the sort of sloppy, bog-standard writing usually found where there are slaps in the face with explanatory dialogue. This film keeps things held back and allows the script, plot and screenplay to unfold over a period of time.
Read the full review here.

The Coen's remake of True Grit is decent but I'm one of those that has a preference for the original and it didn't quite make my long-list for this and I'm a little surprised to see it this high as I thought it's chance had already come and gone. Guardians Of The Galaxy is one of the more enjoyable films of its ilk for me but again didn't quite make my long-list, this time I'm actually surprised it isn't featuring a little higher though.

Seen: 49/62 (Own: 30/62)
My ballot:  

Faildictions  

I have probably seen Guardians two too many times with my son but it’s my third favorite MCU I think. Comes after Iron Man and Avengers. Felt fresh, original, and funny after that first viewing. Not so much anymore unfortunately.

True Grit is great. I watched it for the second time last year after finally seeing and loving the original. Nearly any Coen flick can make my lusts on a given day. Another made it really high on this list, so no vote from me. Very cool it made it though, wasn’t expecting it.

Reply to Topic