MoFo Fantasy Football 2022 - The Season

Tools    

I think there's a clear difference between things that are inevitability part of sports and things that are not.

That officiating is imperfect is something we could know without even seeing the game played, nevermind the decades of observation. Everyone goes into real and fantasy sports understanding that and, just as importantly, understanding that there is no way to remove a particular example of it without rendering all of it invalid.

This situation, on the other hand, doesn't really have any precedent, which differentiates it on both of the above points:
  • first, because it was not an inevitable part of the game (and not at all foreseeable)
  • and second, because any action made in response doesn't create any logically unavoidable ripple effect, as the hypotheticals described would.
On top of that, bad calls aren't outside of the rules: they're part of them, simply by virtue of being calls. But there's no rule for what actually happened. The league's response has been completely ad hoc, which is why an ad hoc response is potentially reasonable.

I think the craziest part--though perhaps the most fortunate for our own sense of clarity--is that they did play part of the game, and that even that tiny bit was enough to swing the score initially. I'd be a little bit more open to "anything can happen!" (although, what're we talking? Under 1%?) if not for that.

While I agree every possible option is lame, and I think we all agree this is about finding the Least Bad option, to my mind asking people to pretend the plays we all saw never actually took place is probably the least rational.

That's my thinking, at least. I have more if people want to hear more.

Either way, my preference is that the two of you come to some kind of agreement. If that agreement is for a clear champion or means of deciding one, great. If that agreement is to specifically not make any decision because you don't want to make that kind of choice, I suppose that's fine too. If, on the other hand, you can't decide NOT to decide, but also can't reach an agreement, I'm open to voting, which is how we handle all rule changes.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I was already ahead though when they stopped play. I could see like a lightning storm that prohibited the game from happening or something like that, but I already had the edge. I guess that's where we differ. I'm assuming if the game was resumed they would have kept the time and the score from where they were at anyways.

I think the biggest thing of all though is that it really doesn't matter how it goes down, because in a way it's a bit tainted for both of us if that makes sense. There will be no reason to either of us to believe we are the clear cut winner anymore. Kind of strange how that all works.

I was already ahead though when they stopped play. I could see like a lightning storm that prohibited the game from happening or something like that, but I already had the edge. I guess that's where we differ. I'm assuming if the game was resumed they would have kept the time and the score from where they were at anyways.
Yeah, I think this is key. The odds were pretty heavily stacked already, but the fact that they actually did play, and even that short bit of play was enough to change the outcome even when the game had stopped, seems like a pretty huge deal. I was relieved at the time because it gave us some nice clarity, in keeping with what was overwhelmingly the most likely outcome.

The idea that their solution was to say "the things you saw happen didn't happen" is still mind-blowing.

Defenses are awarded 10 points as soon as the game starts. If a player had suffered cardiac arrest on the opening kickoff and the game was canceled, you would've still been in the lead. Personally, I was happy that you had stuck with Buffalo's D since it meant you were knee-capping Burrow and McPherson. That, along with either a Burrow injury or career day from Bass, was the hopium I was huffing all day Monday.

Defenses are awarded 10 points as soon as the game starts. If a player had suffered cardiac arrest on the opening kickoff and the game was canceled, you would've still been in the lead. Personally, I was happy that you had stuck with Buffalo's D since it meant you were knee-capping Burrow and McPherson. That, along with either a Burrow injury or career day from Bass, was the hopium I was huffing all day Monday.
This kind of works against you in a way though, because obviously they already gave up 7 points, most of that starting 10 points was already gone, and I was STILL in the lead.

It was a fairly strategic move BTW to start Buffalo even against Burrow and McPherson. Only needing 8ish points, if Burrow truly had a terrible game, that would mean Buffalo would have gotten the necessary points on its own most likely.

Yeah, I thought it was shrewd. When you need so little to win you want to raise your floor at the expense of your ceiling, and playing both sides of that is a good way to do it. It cuts down significantly on the number of plausible loss scenarios.

This kind of works against you in a way though, because obviously they already gave up 7 points, most of that starting 10 points was already gone, and I was STILL in the lead.

It was a fairly strategic move BTW to start Buffalo even against Burrow and McPherson. Only needing 8ish points, if Burrow truly had a terrible game, that would mean Buffalo would have gotten the necessary points on its own most likely.
If Burrow had stunk up the joint from that point on, I think I win. McPherson can't get into FG range if the offense continually stalls out (and the Bengals would become more aggressive on 4th down if they're trailing). It also means the Bills would be more likely to settle for FGs. And if your defense is forcing TOs from Burrow, your score doesn't change, since the 2 points you gain are countered by the 2 points you lose.

I had an 8.46 lead going into that night. Looking at my best-case scenario based on performances this season gives me a 31.46 lead when adding Bass's 23 points. Burrow's lowest total this year was 17.48. McPherson's lowest total: 1. That gives me a 13.98 cushion. As long as Bills D scores under 14 in this scenario, I win. Obviously that scenario is extremely unlikely, but based on the numbers this season, it's at least within the realm of possibility.

Look, I'm not delusional. I know that I needed something wild and crazy to happen to get the win. (And I think the game being canceled because a player went into cardiac arrest qualifies as wild and crazy.) I don't know what percentage Yahoo gave me to win going into that night, but I would've put it at 5% or less. I needed Bills D to dominate, but for the Bills offense to struggle and settle for FGs, preferably from long distance. I highly doubt that's how the game would've played out. I expected a shoot-out beforehand, and based on the snippet that we saw, that's exactly the pace at which the game had started. Perhaps a final score of 35-32 or thereabouts. But it's not unheard of to see two explosive offenses mired in a defensive struggle when viewers tuned in expecting fireworks. Nor is it uncommon to see a team score on their opening drive, as the Bengals did, then struggle to move the ball afterwards.

I think you're being insanely silly thinking if the game went on that you even had a chance.

Anyways, we are getting nowhere so I will stop commenting myself.

I think you're being insanely silly thinking if the game went on that you even had a chance.

Anyways, we are getting nowhere so I will stop commenting myself.
I've said repeatedly that me winning was extremely unlikely, but people have won fantasy match-ups with lesser odds -- myself included -- and I've illustrated scenarios that are at least within the realm of possibility. I feel like you keep forgetting that I also had a player in that game. Doesn't matter if he's just a kicker. He's a kicker who has demonstrated an ability to put up 20+ fantasy points himself.

You're being unreasonable if you think there was zero chance of me winning. I can find countless fantasy match-ups with far more miraculous outcomes.

Frankly, even if I didn't have Bass and thus no chance of winning, I don't think it should matter. My stance on this whole fiasco is to leave scores as they stand. If there's a fantasy championship out there somewhere in which one team scored .1 and their opponent's team consisted entirely of Bills/Bengals, I believe the team that scored .1 should be rewarded the trophy. View it as the most egregious stat correction of all-time or the unluckiest collection of pre-game injuries you've ever seen. According to official NFL history, the game never took place and no stats were accumulated. It sucks, it's unfair, but them's the breaks, and I'd feel the same about this situation even if our roles were reversed.

One alternative that I'll suggest, if this is even feasible, is to retroactively apply stats from the Bills/Bengals playoff game in a couple weeks, presuming both teams advance to the second round.

I originally wrote out a reply to a lot of the arguments being thrown around, but for now, I'll hold off, because as I mentioned earlier my preference is for the two of you to come to an agreement, if you can. And since I see a proposed compromise, I'll highlight it to see if it's acceptable:

One alternative that I'll suggest, if this is even feasible, is to retroactively apply stats from the Bills/Bengals playoff game in a couple weeks, presuming both teams advance to the second round.

And just when you think the audacity was over, it pulls you back in!

I'd make commentary on how this whole seems to have been, but you know. You know.

I originally wrote out a reply to a lot of the arguments being thrown around, but for now, I'll hold off, because as I mentioned earlier my preference is for the two of you to come to an agreement, if you can. And since I see a proposed compromise, I'll highlight it to see if it's acceptable:

Since theres been no reply I think the obvious winner of the 2023 MoFo Fantasy Football Championship is myself.

I owe it all to my first overall draft pick Jonathan Taylor. Now I need to make room on the shelf for my trophy.
TONGO HAS SPOKEN !!!

I'm also ok with Captains proposal and can clarify why if that helps. It leaves it a bit up to chance itself if that makes sense.

@Yoda, will we have to manually keep track of the stats/scores during the Bills/Bengals game, or is there a way for Yahoo to do the math for us?