2023 Film Challenge

Tools    

I thought I would give it a shot this year.
Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Relevant Lists
Below you will find some examples & ideas for certain categories.

Film Foundation’s World Cinema Project  

Previously featured Cinematic Waves  

I left the lists here for my convenience.

Also answers to Jabba
Speaking of countries , what country were you planning to use for your ten?

I have plenty as can be seen from the thread linked above, but I was thinking I would try to include Paraguay, Uruguay and Venezuela because that would finish off South America for me and perhaps Vanuatu, Marshall islands and Papua New Guinea as these are the only Oceanian countries left I have been able to find films from.

Edit: I misunderstood the question.
India, France or Greece are the current frontrunners

Welcome @beelzebubble !

It is. Still many countries to for me to uncover. Like Finland. All these years and I haven’t seen anything from them. Good time as any time crack into Karismaki.
I've only seen a couple Kaurismaki films, but I'd recommend "The Other Side of Hope".

A. Get lost in the movement
[Watch one film belonging to each of the following cinematic movements]
1. New German Cinema It Is Not the Homosexual Who Is Perverse, But the Society in Which He Lives
2. Japanese New Wave Violence at Noon
3. Cinema du look Subway
4. Australian New Wave Snapshot
5. Documentary Film Movement Night Mail
6. Iranian New Wave Downpour

Violence at Noon and Downpour are definitely the standouts here. It Is Not the Homosexual Who Is Perverse, But the Society in Which He Lives was incredibly interesting, though I'd say it's more interesting as a cultural artifact than a stand-alone piece of art/entertainment.

Gee, here I was feeling good about having already knocked out two whole movies.

Gee, here I was feeling good about having already knocked out two whole movies.
The trick is to get so behind in your grading that you must spend an absurd amount of time in your home and on your couch.

The trick is not minding
I have watched 4 from the categories so far. I have films marked in the foreign countries I haven’t seen category, but those are just there as reminders of sorts.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
WELCOME @beelzebubble, and ENJOY!!

A. Get lost in the movement
[Watch one film belonging to each of the following cinematic movements]
1. New German Cinema It Is Not the Homosexual Who Is Perverse, But the Society in Which He Lives
2. Japanese New Wave Violence at Noon
3. Cinema du look Subway
4. Australian New Wave Snapshot
5. Documentary Film Movement Night Mail
6. Iranian New Wave Downpour

Violence at Noon and Downpour are definitely the standouts here.
Loved your review of this - well, I ALWAYS love your reviews, but, anyway. The amusing moments, and beautiful cinematography, especially after reading, I always say it's a good sign when I agonize over which still image to include in a review. I was hooked. Gonna add that one; thank you!

I. Three monkeys off your back
[Watch a film fitting each of the following categories of addiction]
1. a film with an alcoholic main character I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955) After seeing Susan Hayward in House of Strangers (1949) in my I have a vision... watch 10 films from the same director Joseph L. Mankiewicz and loved her, I found this perusing her movies.
2. a film about drug addiction The Panic in Needle Park (1971) I was initially going to go with Requiem for a Dream (2000), but this really called to me. It's Al Pacino's FIRST leading part, and the film Francis Ford Coppola showed to Paramount executives in order to convince them that Al Pacino was suitable for the role of Michael Corleone in The Godfather (1972). How cool is that?
3. a film in which gambling is a central theme The Cincinnati Kid (1965) The Literal Prize of these Unknown Gems, I grew up a HUGE Steve McQueen fan and NEVER saw this one and watching a poker scene on youtube and then see the list of people in this: Karl Malden, Tuesday Welds, Ann-Marget, Edward G. Robinson, just off the top. . . hell, I am geeked.

Also:

Hallmost Famous
watch 10 films that have been nominated in any MoFo Hall of Fame but never won
1. Farewell My Concubine aka Ba wang bie ji (1993) 1st Hall of Fame
2. Sonatine (1993) 6th Hall of Fame
3. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) 9th Hall of Fame
4. The Set Up (1949) First Film Noir Hall of Fame
5. The Steel Helmet (1951) 50's Part II Hall of Fame
6. Kansas City Confidential (1952) Noir Part II Hall of Fame
7. Ida (2013) 11th Hall of Fame REVIEW
8. The Bravados (1958) Western Hall of Fame
9. One-Eyed Jacks (1961) Western Hall of Fame
10. Tokyo Godfathers (2003) Animation Hall of Fame

LOOOVED Ida! Highly recommend it.
The majority are Must See!/Truly Sought Out with a couple of unknown curiosities, Kansas City Confidential (1952), The Set Up (1949), and Steel Helmet (1951) thrown in. Should be QUITE enjoyable.

I've been really excited to do this new challenge. It has been a while since I did one. The first movie was great, but the second for Japanese New Wave is a total slog for me ("Eros & Massacre"). I have not been able to watch it to the end. Last night, some friends and I watched "Everything Everywhere All at Once" and bam, #2 for mid-life crisis films. So, yeah, only 2 for me too. Inspiration to up one's game.

B. Behind the Iron Curtain
[Watch a film from each of the following countries while they were under communist rule]
1. Soviet Union (1922-1991) The Legend of Suram Fortress
2. Poland (1947-1989) A Short Film About Love
3. Yugoslavia (1945-1992) H-8
4. Czechoslovakia (1948-1989) Daisies
5. China (1949-present) A Chinese Ghost Story

These were all fantastic and I'd recommend all of them. Just finished A Chinese Ghost Story and it was a total blast.

All the places you’ll go
watch 10 films, each from a different country that you’ve never watched a film from before

Yeah this doesn't apply to me so I'm going by locations

1. A Woman King(2022) (Benin)

Also answers to Jabba
@Siddon do you happen to have an IMDb or Letterboxd account? I'd love to take a peak at options for films from some of those more obscure countries I have trouble finding films from since you've done them all.

@Siddon do you happen to have an IMDb or Letterboxd account? I'd love to take a peak at options for films from some of those more obscure countries I have trouble finding films from since you've done them all.

I use Flickchart and I'm redoing my list...here's my first one
https://www.flickchart.com/John8204

And here's the new one where I'm trying to get a more accurate list of every film I've ever seen ranked

https://www.flickchart.com/Siddon

Looking for a little clarification (though I think I might have asked the same question last year!).

For the section D, it's that the film won any award at the named thing or that it won the main award?

For example, could I watch a Cannes Grand Prix winner, or can I only watch Palme d'Or winners? For the Oscars could it be a film for which someone won Best Actor, or does it have to be a Best Picture winner?

The trick is not minding
Looking for a little clarification (though I think I might have asked the same question last year!).

For the section D, it's that the film won any award at the named thing or that it won the main award?

For example, could I watch a Cannes Grand Prix winner, or can I only watch Palme d'Or winners? For the Oscars could it be a film for which someone won Best Actor, or does it have to be a Best Picture winner?
I took it as any award

C. Lets break this down, shall we?
[Pick one of the following genres and watch one film from each of its subgenres or themes listed]
1. [Fantasy: Sword & Sorcery] Solomon Kane
2. [Fantasy: High Fantasy] Hawk the Slayer
3. [Fantasy: Magical Realism] Like Water for Chocolate
4. [Fantasy: Dark fantasy] Something Wicked This Way Comes

The internet had some different and confusing ideas about which films fit which category, so I did my best!

This was a pretty blah group, honestly. Only Like Water for Chocolate and Something Wicked This Way Comes would be worth watching.