The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

65. Source Code

66. Eighth Grade

You just beat me to it. Good thing I happened to pick the other one.

This might be too difficult of a hint. I don't want to give it away, but I will say that you guys are on the wrong track so far.

This might be too difficult of a hint. I don't want to give it away, but I will say that you guys are on the wrong track so far.

You mean it's not John's mom's phone number?

It's not a mathematical hint, is it? Do we have to add or multiply the numbers to find the answer?

Edge of Tomorrow is my #15. Great, fun film, which smartly combines Sci-Fi, Action, and Romance into an entertaining whole. I'm a fan of Tom Cruise also, and he was excellent here, as was Emily Blunt, whom I always like in almost everything she does. Terrific combo that carry the movie, although Bill Paxton, always a favorite in my house, does a fine job also as the Master Sergeant. I'm hoping to see Emily Blunt show up a few more times on this list. Glad this one made the list.

I haven't seen Take Shelter but have only heard good things about it. I'm a Shannon fan in most things he does, so I'll have to see this. I'll explain my italics with the word "most" when another Shannon film surely shows up in this countdown.

List so far:
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw Edge of Tomorrow a few years ago, and I remembered liking it, but I didn't remember much more than that it was an action movie version of Groundhog Day, so I rewatched it for this countdown. It was even better than I remembered it, and I strongly considered it for my list, but unfortunately it was cut in the last round of cuts.

When this countdown was announced, Take Shelter is one of the movies that I was sure would have been on my list, but as I watched more and more movies, it eventually dropped off my list. But it's a great movie, and I'm glad to see that it made the countdown.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

68. Edge of Tomorrow (2014, Doug Liman) 102 points

No idea if this was the first to do the Restart Premise, but it is done exceedingly well to the point that it was a serious contender for my List. There are several of Cruise's films that I continually rewatch and enjoy in the Action spectrum. I mean, the man delivers when it comes to popcorn-munching fun, and this is very much one of them. Along with Emily Blunt, we get a solid futuristic sci-fi action written intelligently that made me laugh and cheer and kept me thoroughly engaged.

Movies Seen 18 out of 34 (52.94%)
1. Upper Fifty
2. Jojo Rabbit (2012) #89
3. Lower Thirty, if at all
4. Will be a Surprise
5. Mid Pack
6. Mid Pack
7. Upper Fifty
8. Hell or High Water (2016) #76
9. Unlikely
10. Upper Twenty
11. Mid Pack
12. Probably Not
13. The King's Speech (2010) #78
14. Upper Fifty
15. The Raid (2011) #100
16. Mid, maybe Upper Fifty
17. Mid Pack
18. Upper Fifty
19. Mid to Upper Pack
20. Lower Fifty
21. Hopefully Places
22. Lower Fifty
23. Mid Pack
24. Mid Pack or Higher
25. A Royal Affair (2012) (One Pointer)

One Pointers Seen 7 out of 35 (20%)

Rectification List
86. 1917 (2019)
71. Ida (2013)

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. Another couple of perfectly fine films that I watched once and haven't thought about much since.

I forgot the opening line.
68. Edge of Tomorrow - My expectations were actually pretty low coming into Edge of Tomorrow, and I did end up having that snarky look of "I know this big budget film is probably going to be dumb" wiped right off my face, and instead I enjoyed myself a pretty hard-hitting, clever and well-written science-fiction/action film. I knew people were really rating this film highly, but I still didn't expect a movie as good as I got. Chalk up another great film to that guy who I wish was either a half-decent person or would go away - but Cruise refuses to be pushed out of our living rooms and cinemas by grabbing the absolute best projects and daring us not to watch great movies like Valkyrie, Top Gun : Maverick or this. Groundhog Day was crying out for a hard-edged, gory and explosively serious film that played with it's central design, and Edge of Tomorrow does just that. Just thinking about it is making me want to watch it. It didn't make it onto my ballot, but it wasn't too far off it.

67. Take Shelter - Heard about this one, but still haven't seen it yet. I look forward to it.

Seen 26/34

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
20. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)

A film shot near me, for my generation, with the perfect director to adapt the source material. There is so much going on in every frame of this movie that it bares repeated viewings to get all the gags. I had it on my list for its unique charm, re-watchability factor, and awesome soundtrack. It also has a great cast of people who were on the peak of getting famous.

17. Shutter Island (2010)

Scorsese and Horror? Yes, please. One of my favourite directors working in my favourite genre was a dream come true when I sat in the theatre to watch Shutter Island. Scorsese did not disappoint as he went for it. The over-the-top score, dreary depicted island, and fun mystery to unravel made Shutter Island an easy choice for me. Even the ending works and makes me want to rewatch it to see little hidden details scattered throughout.

Edge of Tomorrow did not make my list, but it's a really fun movie.

Suspect's Reviews

I just watched The Man From Nowhere. Yo that movie was pretty ****ing cool.

I always wondered whether anyone actually reads the trivia posted here.
Dude I read it. I think it's interesting and want you to continue doing it.

@topic
No new flicks from my list. Love most them. Not seen Take Shelter. Will do, and I am intrigued by 12:01 which @LAMb EELYAK mentioned.

As for the hints

Rush & Life of Pi.

Going outside of the box that the box which held the box came in today:
66. Upstream Color
65. Logan