2023 Film Challenge

Tools    

Also answers to Jabba
Welcome everyone!

The 6th annual film challenge is here with old favorites returning and some new challenges set forth to shape your cinematic year. As always do let me know if any clarifications are necessary or if you see any mistakes.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Important Notes:
  • The challenge officially starts on January 1st 2023, so start updating your lists with films you watch after that date.
  • How you count films is up to you. This is not a contest and it is up to each and every one to decide how they want to do this. I would suggest going for one film per category either in the main challenge or in nightmare mode, preferably films you watched for the first time this year, but that's just me.
  • In order for everyone to be able to effortlessly scroll down the page, I would suggest wrapping your updates in collapsible text, like in this post.
Have fun watching films this year!

Relevant Lists
Below you will find some examples & ideas for certain categories.

Film Foundation’s World Cinema Project  

Previously featured Cinematic Waves  

Participant Recommendations  

Also answers to Jabba
Will be putting my updates below:

Main Challenge: Completed  

Nightmare Mode: Completed  

Leftovers: 47  

Welcome to the human race...
Of course he's dead, why else hasn't he made anything since 2010?

Seriously though, Hanna Schygulla is also not dead.

Thanks, Jabs. However, I'd double-check all of them just to be sure because I just noticed that Vittorio Storaro is still alive as well.

Also answers to Jabba
Thanks, Jabs. However, I'd double-check all of them just to be sure because I just noticed that Vittorio Storaro is still alive as well.

I suddenly have the impression that there is a good chance that I intended to change the category's description from deceased to something similar to legends and never got around to it.

Here we go:

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

I'm here for this.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

The trick is not minding
Saved. Will start choosing my categories throughout the next hour.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

My future updates:

Main Challenge [23/52]  

Nightmare Mode [45/110]  

Also answers to Jabba
@Iroquois I just want to clarify that Breaking the Waves can include as many different cinematic waves as you want, provided they belong to the ones we have covered throughout the years. You don't have to do all 10 from the same one.

@Iroquois I just want to clarify that Breaking the Waves can include as many different cinematic waves as you want, provided they belong to the ones we have covered throughout the years. You don't have to do all 10 from the same one.
Good to know. I think picking one movement helps to focus things a bit, but I'll use others if I need to.

The trick is not minding
I assumed the same as Iro. But I prefer your ida, as I was torn between Indian Parallell, Japanese New Wave and French New Wave.

Now I can mix and match. 😎

Also answers to Jabba
There's a couple of reasons for this. The first is clearly accessibility, as finding 10 films of a certain wave that you haven't seen might prove to be harder than expected. The second is that this should be treated as a last hoorah for cinematic waves, as we will be giving them a break after this year. It has been getting progressively harder to find new ones with enough prominence to justify covering them so it's either mostly repeats or give them a short break for a year or two.

Edit: Unless you guys have in mind 5-6 cinematic waves we haven't covered yet that fit the bill, in which case feel free to DM me.

Some suggestions for films to use:

Naked Lunch
The Last Emperor
Angel Heart
An Elephant Sitting Still
Who Killed Captain Alex
The Children of Paradise
The Sacrifice
Old Joy
Touki Bouki
The Proposition

Alternatively, you can just pick something off my Top 100.

The trick is not minding
My Recommendations:

The Thief (1997)
The Ox (1991)
La Leon (2007)
Witchhammer (1970)
The Whisperers (1967)
Dust in the Wind (1986)
In the Earth (2020)
The Molly Maguires (1970)
Zero Effect (1998)

The trick is not minding
I’ll have to take a closer look at some of the countries to see both what I haven’t seen anything from, and also what is available from those countries.

For instance, I’m having a hard time thinking of a single movie from Finland that I’ve seen and I find that odd. Somehow sipped through the cracks, but it’s a perfect time to crack into Kaurismaki’s films.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I am very much in this. I'll get my list up with a few second chances from last year's that I never broke into, like One Country/One Actor/ One MoFo List, and I quite like the new Hallmost list along with - hell, everything. GREAT job, @Jabs!!

For now, here is a list of Recommendations from previous Challenges with IMDb links:
Rome, Open City aka Roma città aperta (1945)
La Vérité (1960)
Panic in the Streets (1950)
The Servant (1963)
Badlands (1973)
The Cranes Are Flying aka Letyat zhuravli (1957)
You Can't Get Away With Murder (1939)
Dead End (1937)
Army of Shadows aka L'armée des ombres (1969)
A Monkey in Winter aka Un singe en hiver (1962)
Band of Outsiders aka Bande à part (1964)
The King and the Clown aka Wang-ui namja (2005)
In This Corner of the World (2016) (Animation)
Hôtel du Nord (1935)
Classe tous risques (1960)
Children of Paradise aka Les enfants du paradis (1945)

saved for later

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode