The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I watched The Raid:

Countdown Rectification #2

The Raid: Redemption (Serbuan maut) (Gareth Evans, 2011)

The action in this movie is absolutely relentless and it features some incredibly well choreographed fights that display some truly impressive skill. If I was a fan of martial arts and martial art films, I might have loved this.

But the reality is that I'm not a fan of such things and that non-stop action quickly began to feel monotonous. This feeling was not helped by the fact that this film has very little else to offer. It has the skeleton of a good story here, but neither that story nor the characters in it felt fleshed out to me really at all and so, as impressive as those fights were, I simply didn't care who won. The end result was that I was rather bored by it all and its 100 minute runtime felt far longer. I don't regret watching it, but I certainly won't be revisiting it nor am I likely to bother with its sequel.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Have I seen The Raid? Or have I seen Dredd? I've definitely seen a film in which cops go into a building and there's a drug lord, all the residents are out to kill them (except one who ends up helping them) and someone gets thrown down a stairwell. Which one is that?

Perhaps I'm just imagining that I remember seeing it because my future clone showed me the memory...

I had not seen World of Tomorrow until yesterday, but today I can say I have definitely seen it. I liked the design and the ideas. It has the same strangely successful mixture of humour and existential angst as It's Such A Beautiful Day. What both do so well is to imagine a fate worse than death, in sending up the ways people might try to cheat death which would inevitably be horrific. I would like to see the next two films in the sequence.

Seen the clues and they seem to fit my faildictions of
98. La La Land
97. Manchester By The Sea

edit: Just watched World Of Tomorrow, being a short it wouldn't have made my ballot but it's a really nice and clever watch that made me smile and I've absolutely no problem with it making the countdown. I'll probably seek out more from Hertzfeldt as the tone is definitely my type of thing.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
The Mill and the Cross was my 1-pointer. It's a beautiful, meditative film which takes us into the world of the painting The Procession to Calary from the 1500s, bringing the painting to life and introducing us to several of the figures in the painting. I felt like it deserved a tiny bit of recognition. If interested, the full movie is available on youtube.
Thanks for promoting this film!

When I saw Pieter Bruegel's painting and Rutger Hauer and Charlotte Rampling in the cast I was in a hurry to find this movie.
Several years ago, I had a highly emotional moments in Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna exactly with Bruegel's works... and the film is about one of these paintings ...and in the final scene they've included a shots from the museum space... Wow.

Saw the movie yesterday. An Hour and a half of Bruegel visualizations, a great experience. Highly recommended for art addicts.

Hello all, I haven't seen any of the films so far (one pointers, Raid and World of Tomorrow). But I heard the last two and actually I am really happy to see a film like World of Tomorrow in the list.

Btw, I want to answer these questions.

Here are a few questions:

1. What director do you think will be represented the most?

2. What year do you think will appear on this list the most?

3. What film do you think will be at #1? HINT: It's Mall Cop 2
1)I'll go with Villeneuve, if he is not, it will be Nolan I guess.

2)2013-2014

3)I think it will be Mad Max or Parasite

Here are some more questions:

1) What films do you think will be at #100 and #99?

2) What genre do you think will be represented the most?

3) What foreign country do you think will be represented the most?
1)It's too late to answer but I'd say some Marvel movie. And actually I was expecting something like Raid in these spots.

2)Action

3)Korea may be

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Raid: Redemption struck me as a rather soulless exercise in bone-breaking, neck-twisting martial arts ballyhoo that had nothing of the charm of the fighting films of the yore nor the specks of the style of its sequel.

Ever since the two sequels were released, it's hard for me to look at World of Tomorrow as a separate work. It's good but it feels better in my memory when coupled with its sequels, if not all of Hertzfeldt's output. A sort of "the whole thing is better than the sum of its parts" thing, ya know?

Unsurprisingly bland start to the list.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Hints:

Okay, so for the next set of hints, you're actually going to have to search this forum to find them. Try to think of a time where I acted narcissistic in the past.
Too much work. You win.

Hints:

Okay, so for the next set of hints, you're actually going to have to search this forum to find them. Try to think of a time where I acted narcissistic in the past.
I can tell you're being narcissistic NOW thinking we're gonna remember a specific time where you said this or that!

The Raid is like the Citizen Kane of martial arts films. Having said that, if you're not a fan of the genre, you're not going to like it much.

You know what, if the hint is about narcissism, in going to guess that Michael Keaton Birdman movie. Or maybe Spiderman: Homecoming?
(Is that from this decade?)

A system of cells interlinked
You know what, if the hint is about narcissism, in going to guess that Michael Keaton Birdman movie. Or maybe Spiderman: Homecoming?
(Is that from this decade?)
This was my first guess when I saw the clue about the clues he had posted.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Raid is like the Citizen Kane of martial arts films. Having said that, if you're not a fan of the genre, you're not going to like it much.
I only agree with that statement on the basis that I'm not a fan of Kane either.

80 points, 5 lists
The Descendants
Director

Alexander Payne, 2011

Starring

George Clooney, Shailene Woodley, Beau Bridges, Robert Forster

80 points, 6 lists
Room
Director

Lenny Abrahamson, 2015

Starring

Brie Larson, Jacob Tremblay, Joan Allen, William H. Macy

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Descendants is really popular with some people on here. I think I watched it for a hall of fame. It was decent but not a favourite for me.

Room is good, I've seen it twice and it's a solid film with good performances but it doesn't quite live up to the book, which I loved.

Reply to Topic