Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

come and see

watched this a week ago and submitted my list but haven't gotten around to writing about it until now. there are a handful of war films i like better, but this certainly has a strong claim to the most anti-war film in that it spends the majority of the film alienating us from the narrative, rejecting traditional structure in favor of these nightmare vignettes that often operate according to their own unpleasant logic as a means of denying us any thrills or catharsis. the character development, such as it is, is just us witnessing a child growing increasingly shell-shocked and non-verbal until he's basically a husk. there's a reason his facial reactions are the most iconic aspect of this film, as it may be the closest approximation of what it must feel like to come face to face with such unimaginable horror. until the barn scene, i'd argue that the film is more deliberately unsatisfying than it is disturbing, but then you realize what's happening to the village and it just hits you like a wave. what follows is maybe the closest thing there is to "catharsis" in the film, but it's come at such a cost that it can't register as such.

not much else to say about this that isn't self-evident, but i also feel the need to mention how incredible the sound design is. quite possibly the best ever.

-
criticker

The trick is not minding
Magnolia

PTA’s Magnolia is a film about guilt, regret and the inability to reconcile the two.

Most of these people portrayed in this film are running from a past they don’t care to revisit, or are dealing with unresolved conflicts with a parent. In two cases separate fathers seeks to reconcile with their respective daughter and son. Both fathers, both ostensibly rich, with one being a famous game show host, are dying of cancer and are looking to somehow make amends for the past. The daughter is a drug addict, and the son, played with gusto by Tom Cruise, is a misogynistic self help guru who promises men that he can teach them the art of the seduction (years before an actual self help guru and self proclaimed pick up artist by the name of ‘Mystery’ ran a show that also taught the art of seduction). He barks out his catch phrase, Respect the Cock, while gyrating around on stage He lies about his past, claims it holds no interest to him.

There are other characters that populate this film. Many of whom interact with each other throughout. Such is the template of a hyperlink film.

There’s the inept police officer (John C Reilly) , who meets and asks the daughter out on a date. There’s the former wonder kid Donnie Smith (William H Macy) and the current owner kid, who both knew all the answers to the show What do Kids Know? hosted by the ailing father of the drug addicted daughter. There’s the distraught wife of aiming father #2, played by Julianne Moore, carrying a secret with herself that the guilt overwhelms her.

Confused? Lost? You won’t be watching this film, as PTA handles them and interweaves their stories better than I ever could describe.

The acting band the writing are both great here, with the exception of Moore who I found to be rather weak, and Macy who was a little weak as well. Those are minor quibbles, as the story is worth the watch alone.

Great pick.

Quick recap of the few I've seen:

Brothers Keeper - I really liked it even if it is a bit rough on the eyes. Would probably be on my top 25 Doc list if we ever get around to one of them.

Hud - Just watched this a couple weeks ago and loved it. As good as Newman was, and he was great, Patricia Neal was even better when she was on screen.

The Red Shoes - Is probably going to be pretty high on my ballot. Number 1? Don't know, but of all the movies I watched this go around, The Red Shoes is the one that seems most likely to get a jump in appreciation from a rewatch.

Leaving Las Vegas - Can't say I loved it but it was good. Cage was great, Shue was great but watching a guy trying drink himself to death isn't exactly a good time unless it's in Beerfest.

Come and See - I should probably watch it again, but I don't really want to, as I'm obviously missing something. Thought it was good not great.

Die Hard - The perfect 80's action flick. We had Stallone, Schwarzenegger and... the guy from Moonlighting? Was a bit surprised that it was as good as it was.

Peeping Tom - Need to see it again. Didn't like it at all but it's been over 20 years and it seems to be growing in stature.

King of Kong - Another top Doc. If it wasn't for Donkey Kong and DK Junior I could probably retire tomorrow. The amount of suck up to that cheating, mullet wearing, hot sauce pushing, d-bag was astonishing and infuriating.

Little Dieter Needs to Fly - Can hardly remember it. Clicked on IMDb to see what I thought of it right after I watched it and...I must've watched it before IMDb was a thing.

Diabolique - One of my favorite French films.

It's Such A Beautiful Day - It has a good shot at cracking my top 25 of the 2010's. Seen it three times since it was recommended to me in the last PRHoF. The animation fit perfectly with the narration which fits perfectly with the subject.

Magnolia - I used to love this but the last time I watched it it was a little meh. Still has great performances and PTA somehow keeps it all flowing but it was so fresh when it came out I think the oooooh feeling of that first watch has worn off.

The trick is not minding
Hedwig and the Angry Inch

A flamboyant film told about an equally flamboyant woman, born Hansel in East Germany before a botched surgery left her with…..an angry inch.

Hedwig is a self absorbed, bitter, woman, who tours with her band. They play in what seems like little cafe type places. Small crowds attend, and mostly are probably just there for the food

Hedwig narrates her story beginning from her time as a child, and unfolds as a series of unfortunate events. Her first husband leaves her for another man. Her protege/lover steals their songs and takes sole credit, becoming a sensation. We see her controlling her band members and berates them for minor issues. Thai leads to the inevitable moment of self discovery.

I wish I had more to say, but honestly? I just didn’t get into this film. Sure, the performances are great, but I found the story pretty uninteresting, maybe because I didn’t find Hedwig a very compelling character.

Shame you didn't like Hedwig.

I first watched it back in 2012 after it made the Millennium Countdown. Mark F and honeykid thought I would like it. I wasn't sure what to think of it the first time, but I rewatched it right away and it clicked more the second time. Obviously I absolutely adore the movie now.

I don't know if Miss Vicky thought I would like it or not but that's who recommended it to me. I enjoyed it on the first watch and it was pretty much because of Hedwig, who I thought was a great character.

I forgot the opening line.
I've never been more certain of finishing last in anything than I am finishing last in this - but the films that were nominated for me were brilliant, so nice work everyone else

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Body and Soul (1947)

If this was a film made before The Champ I'd call this a masterpiece the fact that this movie came out in the later forties makes it feel dated. 85% of this film feels like it was made as an early talkie it's the story of a poor guy who decides to get into boxing to escape poverty gets in trouble with a group of gangsters and has to deal with all the moral elements of his life in boxing.

This film leans heavy into melodrama and one of the characters dies in very uncomfortable way, like the character exists just to teach the other character a lesson. But while the film is dated and poorly paced the last 15 minutes are pure cinema and why it's considered a classic. The actual boxing match is the climax of the film and it looks like it was shot 20 years later. The filming is just night and day between the majority of the film which I would describe as rote and uninteresting and the fight which was exceptional.

I don't know if I can really blame the film for being so old fashioned because it's an old film. It just tries to be a noir but it's just such a melodrama. John Garfield is solid in this but to me he just felt like he was doing a James Cagney impersonation. He actually got an Oscar nomination which I was floored by until I saw everything else that came out that year and realized this was a post-war film and was likely rushed. Still it was fine for what it was I just needed to watch it twice.

I've never been more certain of finishing last in anything than I am finishing last in this - but the films that were nominated for me were brilliant, so nice work everyone else
I've been finished with this for a long time so I've forgotten who chose what for me. I don't remember your film BUT I just looked at all the films that were chose for me this round and all I can say is excellent pickin' everyone