'The Changeling' (1980) Better Than 'The Shining' (1980)?

Tools    

I had two people the other day tell me that these movies were both basically the same movie, and The Changeling is superior to The Shining because The Changeling is true to the genre it's working in, whereas The Shining was incoherently masquerading as a horror movie in order to punctuate Kubrick's point on the true horrors of the world.

Not gonna lie, it kind of shook me a little. I'm about to watch The Changeling and I was just wondering if any other cinephiles thought that the Changeling was superior?

No. They're both great but the Changeling isn't as good nor is it more "true to the genre" (nonsense).

The Changeling is similar to the Ring and arguably superior though I'd consider them equals.

I had two people the other day tell me that these movies were both basically the same movie, and The Changeling is superior to The Shining because The Changeling is true to the genre it's working in, whereas The Shining was incoherently masquerading as a horror movie in order to punctuate Kubrick's point or the true horrors of the world.

Not gonna lie, it kind of shook me a little. I'm about to watch The Changeling and I was just wondering if any other cinephiles thought that the Changeling was superior?
I'm a huge Changeling fan, have the poster on my wall, but I would never try to convince anyone that it's better than The Shining.

It's a more straightforward ghost story, yes, so if that's what you're after I guess it's "better". But my advice is to dial the expectations down many notches before you watch it or else you're bound to be disappointed.

In my opinion that is a strange argument to make. Being "more true" to a genre isn't a sign of superiority, and many films distinguish themselves in the way that they don't always adhere to the trappings of their genres.

That said, I'm not sure what your metric of "better" is, but I could see someone enjoying The Changeling more than The Shining. I admired The Shining but would probably rather rewatch The Changeling if given the choice.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more it seems like maybe someone watched The Changeling, genuinely liked it better than The Shining, knew that opinion would get shredded/shouted down, and had to come up with a rationale for liking it more. I kind of get it, because I have a complicated relationship with a lot of classics (like 2001 or Stalker) where I respect the craft but feel detached from the films. I can honestly say that, for me, Brain Damage is a better movie than Stalker. And because a lot of people devalue arguments that are made from a place of emotion (the basis for my preference), you feel pressured to come up with a more "real" sounding argument.

The trick is not minding
I prefer The Changeling, although not by much. I’m in the minority as feeling The Shining is in Kubrick’s middle of the pack films, and often feel it’s slightly over rated

I don't know what to choose. It's too complicated.

I would struggle to not respond with a flippant, "lol, no," because I don't want to be too dismissive of other people's preferences, but that would be my instinctive, internal thoughts at least.

I think there's a possibility someone would say that if they don't care for or like The Shining very much. Which from the sounds of their reasoning, they don't. And as much as I have a different opinion, my brain can understand statements like, "I don't like [generally well regarded masterpiece]," more easily than when it's expressed via a comparison statement.

I like The Changeling better than The Shining, but I've never considered them to be similar movies.

The Changeling is similar to the Ring and arguably superior though I'd consider them equals.
Now, this is a similarity I agree with, but I do prefer Ringu myself. They're both great films, though.

I like The Changeling better than The Shining, but I've never considered them to be similar movies.

Now, this is a similarity I agree with, but I do prefer Ringu myself. They're both great films, though.
I may prefer Ringu or even the remake. They all have elements I like a lot and little weaknesses that make it hard for me to decide between them without a rewatch of all three. Wouldn't fault anyone for favoring any of em.

yes

The Shining is obviously, obviously, obviously better. But that isn't to say there isn't good reason to like The Changeling more. It has a tidy little story and it is told impeccably well. It's kind of perfect in its own way. But if you are looking for an itch that can't be scratched, Shining should be your daddy. And horror is always better unscratched.

I don't actually wear pants.
I would probably think so since I hate Kubrick and find his version of Shining bad. The book is coherent. The movie has no direction. And the way Kubrick butchered the story gets on my nerves.

Yeah, I don't know how anybody could declare The Changeling superior without having prejudices towards Kubrick's The Shining.

I don't actually wear pants.
I went ahead and requested Changeling from the library. I don't like Kubrick at all, so I'll probably prefer Changeling to that film. Shining nearly put me to sleep (but I guess I can't dislike a popular film without being prejudiced) (whatever that means) so we'll see. It's pretty stupid that people think they have to attack anyone for having a different opinion. Does someone disliking your favorite film somehow make him a bad person? If so, please explain the logic there because I see none.

Victim of The Night
No.
And what Cap and Takoma said.
Particularly, if not using Horror to say something larger than straight up ghost stories and boogeymen is a major criteria for how good a Horror movie is, where does that leave Night Of The Living Dead? The Bride Of Frankenstein? The Creature From The Black Lagoon and Them!? Invasion Of The Body Snatchers/The Thing From Another World? Hell, Dracula comes off as a straight-up xenophobia possibly over the rise of European fascism and the threat of it coming West.

I went ahead and requested Changeling from the library. I don't like Kubrick at all, so I'll probably prefer Changeling to that film. Shining nearly put me to sleep (but I guess I can't dislike a popular film without being prejudiced) (whatever that means)
I think it's just "prejudice."

It means: "preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience." Basically, hating the movie before you see it.