Iro's Top 100 Movies v3.0

→ in
Tools    

Victim of The Night
#34. Stop Making Sense
(Jonathan Demme, 1984)

"Hi, I've got a tape I want to play."

I've been fortunate enough to see David Byrne perform live twice, both times involving a considerable cross-section of songs from his time as frontman of iconic art-rock outfit Talking Heads. Both times made for some of the best live music I've ever experienced, but I can't help but wonder how it would've felt to experience the Heads at the peak of their powers. At least we have Stop Making Sense to serve as a vibrant document of the band touring their commercial breakout album Speaking in Tongues. Not content to simply intensify their genre-bending approach to New Wave through an electrifying performance by an expanded nine-piece ensemble, Byrne collaborates with Demme to develop a distinctly cinematic approach to the concert film that begins with the musicians slowly trickling in over the first few numbers and then crafting all manner of elaborate (or even pointedly minimal in the case of "Once in a Lifetime") numbers that are designed to be captured in as visually arresting a manner as possible. The oversized business suit used in "Girlfriend Is Better" rightfully became iconic for emphasising the nervy and absurd nature of the band's lyrics, but Byrne dancing with a floor lamp in "This Must Be The Place" underscores that song's own simple delights so very well. There's not even any slowing down proceedings for interviews or backstage footage, just a pure replication of the concert experience. Story time: I saw this in theatres a couple of years ago and heard some people try to clap after every number - at first nobody else joined in, but it didn't take long before everyone decided to stop making sense and clap for a forty-year-old concert. That's movie (and music) magic right there.

2005 ranking: N/A
2013 ranking: #48
Man, I just rewatched this last weekend I was absolutely floored. It's even better than I remembered and challenged my notion of what the best concert film ever made is (The Last Waltz, but now, maybe...).

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Congrats on finishing the latest update of your list Iro I shall work my way through it at some point but just to quickly say that I've added it to the favourite movies list

Welcome to the human race...
As with last time, here's a list of all the titles from the previous version of the list that didn't make the cut this time around...

Stand By Me (#100)

Reiner, King, and period-piece coming-of-age movies are all represented on my list by much better movies.

Near Dark (#98)

Still a pretty cool movie and all, but I have to admit that cool only gets you so far these days.

Beavis and Butt-Head Do America (#96)

Think I always wanted to like this one more than I do.

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut (#95)

I don't think I've even watched the show in like 10 years, let alone this.

Super Troopers (#94)

If you were wondering why I dropped or cut so many comedies on this latest version of the list, having films like this on the last version was a big contributor. Also fell prey to the aforementioned problem of being a more quotable comedy than a watchable one.

Team America: World Police (#93)

Definitely find Parker and Stone's politics more questionable than I used to, plus the novelty of "blockbuster with marionettes" has run its course.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (#91)

Including this always did feel like I just wanted to rep the show more than because I thought the movie itself was particularly great.

Once Upon a Time in America (#90)

More interesting films for me to spend four hours on these days.

Trainspotting (#88)

Just another one of those cool filmbro movies that fell by the wayside as the years wore on. Still Boyle's best, though.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (#87)

There are great moments scattered throughout, of course, but Raiders is the only one of these that feels truly essential.

Star Wars (#86)

Who knows, maybe next time around I'll have dropped Empire off the list as well.

Naked (#81)

This is probably still great, but it's such a bleak and miserable film that I basically never feel like revisiting it to make sure.

Full Metal Jacket (#80)

Still pretty solid even with its notoriously lopsided structure but Kubrick has definitely done better at outlining the absurdity of war.

Ed Wood (#78)

Don't have much use for Burton or Depp these days, much less this well-intentioned exercise in mining the titular director's cinematic shortcomings for humour and pathos.

Se7en (#77)

I still like Fincher well enough but I think I'm more likely to pick Zodiac and Social Network as favourites even if this one's influence on the modern thriller is still undeniable.

Children of Men (#75)

Long takes aren't cool anymore.

Commando (#74)

I've got enough Arnold on the list already, though this is probably his most flat-out fun movie to watch.

Airplane! (#69)

Pour one out for another victim of my "less comedies" ruling.

They Live (#66)

I already have multiple Carpenter films and The Matrix on the list, so as fun as this is, it felt a little like overkill.

Blue Velvet (#65)

Decided to go one-and-done when it came to putting Lynch on the list, plus this does just feel more like something he'd build on more than anything else.

Hot Fuzz (#63)

As noted, probably my least favourite of the Cornetto films. Still pretty good, though.

Reservoir Dogs (#61)

I still dig its cool heist thing even if it does start looking rougher as the years go by both as Tarantino refines his approach and as I see more of the films that influenced it.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (#60)

Definitely fine leaving this one in my childhood as opposed to revisiting it with any regularity.

The Evil Dead (#59)

The sequel proves a better rep of the franchise's whole deal, though I can't deny this one's effectiveness as a straight horror (cheapness and camp be damned).

Clerks (#58)

Ah, Kevin Smith. I guess it was inevitable that this would fall off the list entirely even if it is still the best thing he's ever made by some distance.

Harold and Maude (#57)

Once I realised this was basically a manic pixie dream girl movie where the girl was 80 years old, it started to lose a little of its charm - not much, but enough.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (#54)

Another great film that I'm never really in the mood for revisiting.

Midnight Cowboy (#51)

See above.

Excalibur (#50)

Still about as enjoyable as sword-and-sorcery movies tend to get outside of Lord of the Rings, but they don't need representation that badly.

Glengarry Glen Ross (#45)

A great talky movie, though that doesn't necessarily translate to repeat viewings.

Fight Club (#36)

I think Taxi Driver does a good enough job of covering the misanthrope side of things that this Gen X successor can be left off just fine.

Miller's Crossing (#34)

The Coens also get the one-and-done treatment so this enjoyable little gangster caper, while still one of their better ones, is going to be shifted off the list.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (#27)

Does feel like it's trying too hard at times to overcompensate for the less enthusiastic reaction to Temple, but outside of that it's still a classic I left off for franchise representation reasons.

Die Hard (#21)

As great as it is, I get the feeling that watching this every single Christmas has made me a little sick of it.

A Clockwork Orange (#18)

Definitely weird to realise how much of a hit Kubrick's taken even if I'm still including three of his films on this latest iteration - as with Full Metal Jacket, you can argue that everything he covers here is covered better in other films.

Dr. Strangelove, Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb (#15)

I think including Barry Lyndon on this list for the first time manages to compensate for all three of the Kubricks I left off this time - the wartime absurdity of Full Metal Jacket, the brutal society of A Clockwork Orange, and the acidic satire of this film can all be found in that one.

Army of Darkness (#13)

Like I said about the original Evil Dead, II covers all the bases as far as the franchise is concerned. This one's still pretty fun, though.

A system of cells interlinked
Excellent list. Love most of your top picks, but need to revisit Apocalypse Now.

As with last time, here's a list of all the titles from the previous version of the list that didn't make the cut this time around...

Stand By Me (#100)

Reiner, King, and period-piece coming-of-age movies are all represented on my list by much better movies.

Once Upon a Time in America (#90)

More interesting films for me to spend four hours on these days.

Commando (#74)

I've got enough Arnold on the list already, though this is probably his most flat-out fun movie to watch.

Blue Velvet (#65)

Decided to go one-and-done when it came to putting Lynch on the list, plus this does just feel more like something he'd build on more than anything else.

Dr. Strangelove, Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb (#15)

I think including Barry Lyndon on this list for the first time manages to compensate for all three of the Kubricks I left off this time - the wartime absurdity of Full Metal Jacket, the brutal society of A Clockwork Orange, and the acidic satire of this film can all be found in that one.

Army of Darkness (#13)

Like I said about the original Evil Dead, II covers all the bases as far as the franchise is concerned. This one's still pretty fun, though.
Definitely should have found a way on your list.