Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I’ve never seen this. I’ll put it in my Netflix Q.

IIRC, wasn’t Abbie Cornish the reason Ledger broke up with the mother of his child Michelle Williams? Old news, but I think that’s what happened.
LOVED this movie...Ledger was brilliant.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
L'Avventura - 7.5/10

I told myself I would stick to watching movies I had never seen before, but I didn't like this at all on my first viewing about ten years ago, and wanted to give it another chance. Maybe a "Redemption Movie-Viewing Tour"? I gave the subsequent three movies an 8/10... It's been a while, but it seems like "Red Desert" was shot in the same spot at times, only colorized. TCM had "L'Eclisse" on, and I might just see the trilogy again, especially because I am a fan of Mastroianni (just never cared for Moreau). Ironically, Monica Vitti has a pretty face (which I can't say for a majority of the movies) but I didn't like her character/acting.. It's the same old bullshit between men/women. Nature’s joke on men is sex, and nature’s joke on women is love. And because of this stupid game, he knows if he expresses too much, the supply/demand of sex will not be in his favor, much like a man loses interest in a woman after bedding her. A very good story line - not a common one.

I forgot the opening line.

By The poster art can or could be obtained from Netflix., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=71696309

All Quiet on the Western Front - (2022)

Yes - I had to pick myself up off the floor after watching the latest iteration of All Quiet on the Western Front, and when I looked I noticed I wasn't wearing my socks anymore. It's easy to add pyrotechnics to a war movie, as well as blood and guts - but it's not easy to weave terror and horror into it. All Quiet on the Western Front has all of it - it disturbs you to the proper degree, and that's satisfying for a film with this venerated title. You shouldn't leave entertained or jazzed - and you leave just as you should, thinking "going through that would probably drive me insane." This film also reminds you, on occasion, of just what was going on behind the front lines. The generals needlessly wasting lives by the thousand for their own purposes, and the statesmen champing at the bit to end the slaughter. This film goes where the 1930 and 1979 versions couldn't - and almost directly confronts the absurdity of calling soldiers "heroes" for participating in bloodbaths. Be warned - there are some scenes that are quite confronting. Some films paint scenes so vividly that you can almost smell them - and that's what All Quiet on the Western Front does.

9/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from the distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=55545411

Better Watch Out - (2017)

Most of this film's plot is wrapped in a big spoiler - so I'll just say that young Levi Miller is one to look out for as he grows. Obviously inspired by Home Alone, it treads an uncomfortable and dark path - making for another violent and bloody Xmas offering. You're never really comfortable watching it, because it's never very clear where the filmmakers are going to take this. Will they go full-on Michael Haneke on us, or give us a reprieve? If you live in movie world, don't become a babysitter. It doesn't aspire to be anything but psychological horror - but it does what it does well.

6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Dersu Uzala is an Akira Kurosawa film that chronicles a group of Russian soldiers exploring their country's uncharted territories with the help of the eponymous Goldi mountain man as a guide. It's a sweet story about an unlikely friendship between very different people. Dersu teaches the Russians how to survive in the Siberian wilderness and reminds them of the importance of compassion for nature and your fellow man.

This movie is beautifully shot and showcases a wide variety of different landscapes. I got the impression that some of the locations seemed legitimately dangerous to the cast and crew. Despite knowing how great a director Kurosawa was, I'm impressed how he was able to overcome some major difficulties and turn this into a good film. It's not one of his best and it gets a bit repetitive in the middle, but it's still an enjoyable adventure with a nice message.

The Fabelmans (2022) This was wonderful. Gabriel LaBelle is very good and I'm rooting for him to get an Oscar nomination. Michelle Williams was excellent and I loved Paul Dano's performance too. The parts of the story with Sammy making films worked the best for me. The family and school drama wasn't as strong, but overall the film is well written and this is Spielberg's best film in over a decade. Currently, my 3rd favourite film of 2022 and my prediction to win best picture.

The Fabelmans (2022) This was wonderful. Gabriel LaBelle is very good and I'm rooting for him to get an Oscar nomination. Michelle Williams was excellent and I loved Paul Dano's performance too. The parts of the story with Sammy making films worked the best for me. The family and school drama wasn't as strong, but overall the film is well written and this is Spielberg's best film in over a decade. Currently, my 3rd favourite film of 2022 and my prediction to win best picture.
Oddly, I was hoping for more out of this, like some of the old Spielberg magic, applied to the Spielberg story. I felt strange that they didn't just name names, like what family this was that gave birth to an epic movie director. It felt a bit like making a movie about that president who served during the civil war and naming him Anderson. We all know who's being portrayed there, so I assume that the "Fabelman" fiction had something to do with the lawyers and royalties.

Thanks for the tip. I'd forgotten that this film has been released already. Looking forward to it.

Is It Me (2022) 2.5/5 I was very disappointed in this comedy concert film of Sebastian Maniscalco. All his other specials were top notch. Hilarious stuff. Sad to see it. Everything was somewhat amusing but nothing had me howling. Bill Burr's lastest Bill Burr live at Red Rocks. wasn't the greatest some of it was just alright. But some of it was genius. I guess being dad's has eaten into some of their time on the road refining their work. But if you want to see a young comic who is at the top of their game Sam Morril's Same Time Tomorrow is great. Oh almost forgot, Ari Shaffir's Jew is great.

I forgot the opening line.

By The Numbers, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=69028880

The Batman - (2022)

I have to confess right off the bat (no pun intended) - I'm not really a Batman fan. I am a fan of Tim Burton's initial Batman film, and Christopher Nolan's second entry in his trilogy - The Dark Knight - but I never read comics as a kid. Most comic book superhero movies do nothing for me, but there are notable exceptions. Joker was one of the best films of 2019 for me, if not the best. The first two Superman films to feature Christopher Reeve were fantastic. X-Men First Class and Logan are up there. Dredd made up for the crime that was Danny Cannon's Judge Dredd, which Stallone and Armand Assante made laughable. These are the exceptions - but they are great exceptions. Whenever a new comic book character-inspired film is coming out, I'm not one of those people champing at the bit to see it. Once one has rave reviews and great box office returns however, I decide to check it out - so of course I had to see The Batman.

We were going to get here eventually - Batman films were getting darker and darker, so after Nolan took things a step further than Burton we seem to be getting one now that has been inspired by Fincher's Se7en. The Riddler - far from a prancing Jim Carrey, has now been directly correlated with real-life serial killer The Zodiac. I don't mind these two aspects to The Batman at all. What did throw me a little though was our semi-goth Bruce Wayne - alone, depressed and with an emo look that he has down pat. I found that bizarre - and the 3-hour long movie a little bloated and grindingly dispiriting. Gotham is so corrupt and crime-ridden it now resembles the New York of Escape From New York. The finale was grand however, and brilliantly put together. John Turturro was wonderful as Carmine Falcone - perfect casting. For fans, this seems like an interesting take on the character that some might love. For me though, the great and good balances with the bad to get me into middling territory. Perhaps in time I'll love it more, or hate it more - but it's also possible this will end up my only viewing of The Batman. If the sequel pans out and is great though, I'll watch this again.

6.5/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from Paramount Pictures., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=56446456

Clueless - (1995)

I don't know what to say here because everyone loves this film so much and I didn't like it. So never mind this review and rating.

5/10

For whatever reason, the film didn't tickle my funny bone, and the silly, dumb teenage stuff grated on me. I liked that it was a modernized version of Emma, and the performances were okay - but where others see quotable quote after quotable quote all I saw was a movie that differed too much from my usual taste.