Television Tab

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Just finished watching The Wire for the third time. It never gets boring. Gonna give CSI: NY a look. Hope it's good.

"CSI: NY" was my favorite of the "CSI" shows.

"CSI: NY" was my favorite of the "CSI" shows.
Hi gbgoodies. I'm a few episodes in and I like it a lot so far. It's very intriguing.

make sure to watch CSI miami,CSI cyber,CSI,CSI Vegas aswell and some did crossovers aswell
Will do. Thank you SookieStackhouse.

Twin Peaks [rewatch]

Season 1 -

Season 2 -

Season 3 -

Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story

Season 1 -

The Rehearsal

Season 1 -

How To with John Wilson

Season 1 -

Season 2 -

House of the Dragon

Season 1 -

Season 1 -

I liked this one, too, but not as much as you. It makes Baran bo Odar and Jantje Friese feel like one-trick ponies, but at least they master their trick. It's too much like Dark but worse. I haven't yet decided if I give it 3.5 or 4 out of 5.

Just finished watching The Wire for the third time. It never gets boring. Gonna give CSI: NY a look. Hope it's good.
I’ve seen The Wire 3 times too. After The Sopranos it’s my fave tv show.

I’ve seen The Wire 3 times too. After The Sopranos it’s my fave tv show.
The Sopranos is a fine show.

I liked this one, too, but not as much as you. It makes Baran bo Odar and Jantje Friese feel like one-trick ponies, but at least they master their trick. It's too much like Dark but worse. I haven't yet decided if I give it 3.5 or 4 out of 5.
That's fair enough and I can see why people might not enjoy this on as much because once it becomes clear what's happening, it makes certain elements feel less effective. It doesn't have the emotional core of Dark yet, but I've found it so thrilling. I probably should have gave it 4 out of 5, but I think it's a show we won't be able to fairly judge until we've had seasons 2 and 3.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Wednesday

There might be a certain group of a certain age, who have a soft spot for the 90’s Addams Family movies. Seeing a new show in that universe, from Tim Burton, created a lot of excitement and anticipation.

Jenna Ortega is great. Her eyes do most of the heavy lifting, but she nails the character. It was an enjoyable show and I realize this was probably more of a YA show than anything.

It just felt like they could have done such a better job. How can you miscast Gomez? Tim Burton directed (most) of this? Must be a new phase of his career. How excited was I by seeing Fred Armisen only to get sucker-punched by the performance. A lot of the stuff felt cheap, like they were rotating between sets on a sitcom. Maybe Wednesday needs to be balanced out by the family a little more?

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good time. Someone is probably just a little irrational in their attachment 🙄 Thing definitely felt like he was having a Baby Yoda moment. Here’s hoping s2 gets massaged a little more.

^ I was a bit put off by Luis Guzman at first but he grew on me, actually ended up enjoying him in the role. For looks he was perfect casting going by the original Gomez.

As for Uncle Fester, so glad he was only in one episode, didn't like that version much...

I'm just still embarrassed that they managed to nearly make me cry over a
WARNING: "wednesday" spoilers below
hand! when Thing nearly died from being stabbed
... my eyes started to water... but I stopped myself.

The Thing moment got me too. It being the only time she showed emotion, ramped it up for me.

The fudge cleanup was another moment that “almost” got me 🥹

Really? Wednesday series is now accused of racism... apparently having three black actors in 'negative' roles is racist. They seem to be ignoring how they change and the actual villains...

I don't see racism at all, or is it just me...

Really? Wednesday series is now accused of racism... apparently having three black actors in 'negative' roles is racist. They seem to be ignoring how they change and the actual villains...

I don't see racism at all, or is it just me...
My first thought was the show must have done better than I thought. See that Netflix reports record-breaking viewership. Confirm that someone/something is trying to draft on its success.

I also watched this new and apparently racist (see above) Netflix show Wednesday. I like the two Addams Family movies from the 90s, and Ricci's interpretation of Wednesday was a thing of morbid beauty. So, I had my hopes and fears for the new series.

Ortega is surprisingly good as Mary Sue Wednesday. The writing is poor and results in butchering the character, but that's not her fault. The whole Hogwarts high school feels like the wrong setting and is nothing more than a cheap way to turn the show into a teen drama. It's like a crossover fanfiction of the Addams Family (Values) and Harry Potter.

Ricci's Wednesday was a truly insane sociopath, but the show's version is a know-all and can-all jerk whose darker side is composed of empty words. I guess you couldn't make a family-friendly show of a teen version of Ricci's Wednesday, but at least don't make her spout modern bullshit like mansplaining while at the same time saying that she doesn't use social media, phone, or computer.

There are enough moments to keep this from completely sucking, but it's more on the side of disappointment. Either
or

I haven't done one of these in ages. Neighbours was still on the last time I did one. Anyway, here's what's mostly being watched over the last week or so.

In Suspicious Circumstances - A 90's British true crime drama series which features cases in which people died, as the title suggests, in suspicious circumstances. Each episode is seperated into two cases and are often from the 'golden age' of crime writing (Edwardian and interwar eras) which helps with that period murder mystery feel.

The Traitor - Three episodes into this 'reality game show' and enjoying it very much. The psychology and group dynamics are more interesting than the rest of it, but it's also presented by Claudia Winkleman who I just love.

House Of Cards - The brilliant original (I've not seen the reboot) is still brilliant and feels as prescient as ever. The more things change, the more the stay the same seems to be as true as ever.

Louis Theroux Interviews - I've watched three so far. Usual stuff is delivered as expected, which is good, though I can't say I could get into the one with Dame Judy Dench.

Stanley Tucci: Searching For Italy. The second series of this has been as glorious as the first, with the landscape and scenery looking as sumptuous as the food.

The Larkins - I think I have one more episode of series 2 to watch and I've really enjoyed this one. Maybe more than the first? I know it gets a bit of a bashing for not being the its famous predecesor (which had such a beloved cast) nor as faithful to the books and times as fans would like, but I really like it all the same and it's perfik Sunday night entertainment.

Taskmaster - A wonderful series which has fully found its feet again after the difficult Covid series. This series was helped enormously by having a few people who I really love and the next series line up looks really promising too.

Magnum P.I. - No, the original one, of course. Just good 80's tv entertainment. Some episodes miss, but then, they always did but on the whole it's a pleasant way to spend 40 mimutes.

'Allo, 'Allo - I've never watched them like this before, in such close proximity to each other and it makes the later series (by which time the farce and confusion is turned up to 11) easier to follow and all the more enjoyable.

True Blood - I didn't watch this when it was first broadcast, so this is new to me. At the end of season 2 now and enjoying it, though Stephen Moyer face still annoys me a little. But that's nothing to do with the show.

Taskmaster - A wonderful series which has fully found its feet again after the difficult Covid series. This series was helped enormously by having a few people who I really love and the next series line up looks really promising too.
It really is just the best. I'm not sure I've seen many shows that went from "I don't watch this at all" to "this is one of my favorite shows of all-time" quicker. Just a great format, brilliantly realized from the start (very little evolution or tweaking has been necessary since that first series). Can't praise it enough.