Moviefan1988's Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

#48. This is the End (2013)
Directors: Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen
Writers: Seth Rogen(screenplay), Evan Goldberg(screenplay) and Jason Stone(based on the short film "Jay and Seth vs. The Apocalypse" by)
Stars: James Franco, Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride, Craig Robison, Emma Watson, Michael Cera
Genre: Comedy and Fantasy
Runtime: 1 Hour and 47 Minutes
Film Locations: New Orleans, LA and Los Angeles, CA
Distributed by: Columbia Pictures
Release Date: June 12 2013
Did it make the original 100 favorite movies list? Yes

What I liked about this movie is the actors play as themselves and making it a good comedy.

"A huge earthquake happens, who do they rescue first? Actors. They'll rescue Clooney, Sandra Bullock, me. If there's room, you guys will come." - Jonah Hill played by himself

[/url]

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Victim of The Night

#38. Lethal Weapon (1987)
Director: Richard Donner
Writer: Shane Black
Stars: Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Gary Busey, Tom Atkins, Mitchell Ryan
Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 49 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: El Mirage Dry Lake and Los Angeles, CA
Distributed by: Warner Bros.
Release Date: March 6 1987

A great buddy cop movie from the 80's and one of the best action films ever made, Mel Gibson and Danny Glover did amazing in their lead roles as two newly paired cops (Murtaugh as the unlucky cop and Riggs as the suicidal crazy cop) and the chemistry between the two is cool to watch as they go after the bad guys.

"What did one shepherd say to the other shepherd? Let's get the flock out of here!" - Martin Riggs played by Mel Gibson

#39. Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
Director: Richard Donner
Writers: Jeffrey Boam (screenplay) and Shane Black (story)
Stars: Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Joe Pesci, Patsy Kensit
Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 54 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Los Angeles, CA
Release Date: July 7 1989
Did it make the original 100 favorite movies list? No

A good action packed film and the sequel was able to stand on its own, almost good as the original movie. As usual the great chemistry between Riggs and Murtaugh was a delightful thing to see as they fight off the new villains on the streets of Los Angeles. I would also like to add that Joe Pesci was a good addition to the film and adding some humor the movie as well.

"I'm too old for this shit." - Roger Murtaugh played by Danny Glover

I would consider Lethal Weapon 3 and 4 honorable mentions, still decent movies to watch though.
I actually have always thought that Lethal Weapon 2, setting genres and all that aside and just considering how good a sequel to a good movie was, to be one of the better sequels in movies.

#49. The Departed (2006)
Director: Martin Scorsese
Writers: William Monahan(screenplay), Alan Mak (2002 screenplay Mou gaan dou) and Felix Chong(2002 screenplay Mou gaan dou)
Stars: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Martin Sheen, Ray Winstone, Vera Farmiga, Anthony Anderson, Alec Baldwin
Genre: Crime, Drama and Thriller
Runtime: 2 Hours and 31 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Boston, MA and New York City, NY
Release Date: October 6 2006
Did it make the original 100 favorite movies list?Yes

First, I got to say having Wahlberg and Damon in the same movie is just awesome as they are both my favorite movie actors.

This movie is more like the police going against this organized mob and finding out as the movie goes on that there is a rat in the police department secretly helping out the mob, which they must find out and stop them before more sh*t hits the fan.

"When you decide to be something, you can be it. That's what they don't tell you in the church. When I was your age they would say we can become cops, or criminals. Today, what I'm saying to you is this: when you're facing a loaded gun, what's the difference?" – Costello played by Jack Nicholson

#50. A Bronx Tale (1993)
Director: Robert De Niro
Writers: Chazz Palminteri (screenplay by) and Chazz Palminteri (based on his play)
Stars: Robert De Niro, Chazz Palminteri, Lillo Brancato, Francis Capra, Taral Hicks, Kathrine Narducci, Joe Pesci
Genre: Crime, Drama and Romance
Runtime: 2 Hours and 1 Minute
Rated R
Film Location: New York City, NY
Distributed by: Savoy Pictures
Release Date: October 1 1993

A great tale that takes place in the 60’s about a father that is a hardworking bus driver trying to raise his kid right and staying away from trouble especially when the kid is taken in control by neighborhood mobster Sonny. This film did a good job with the story, acting and well directed by Robert De Niro.

"The saddest thing in life is wasted talent." Lorenzo played by Robert De Niro

The Stats Part 1

Movies with the most film distribution on the list so far
Universal Pictures - 14
Paramount Pictures - 7
Warner Bros. - 5
Dimension Films - 4
Columbia Pictures - 4
New Line Cinema - 4
Blumhouse Productions - 2
20th Century Fox - 2
Films from different film distributors - 8 (1 point each)

Decade Breakdown for list so far
70's - 3
80's - 9
90s - 14
2000s - 13
2010s - 10
2020s - 1

I may add more stats on Part 2, not sure yet

#51. Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Director: Steven Spielberg
Writers: Lawrence Kasdan (screenplay by) and George Lucas (story by)
Stars: Harrison Ford, Karen Allen, Paul Freeman, Ronald Lacey, Denholm Elliott, John Rhys-Davies
Genre: Action and Adventure
Runtime: 1 Hour and 55 Minutes
Rated PG
Film Locations: USA - San Rafael, San Francisco, Stockton, CA
Other Countries - La Rochelle, France. Tunisia in North Africa. and Kauai, Hawaii. Hertfordshire and on sets at Elstree Studios in Borehamwood, UK.
Distributed by: Paramount Pictures
Release Date: June 12 1981

"It's not the years, honey; it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones played by Harrison Ford

#52. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
Writers: Willard Huyck (screenplay by) and Gloria Katz (screenplay by)
Stars: Harrison Ford, Kate Capshaw, Ke Huy Quan
Runtime: 1 Hour and 58 Minutes
Rated PG
Film Locations: USA - Grand Coulee Dam, WA. Stockton, Novato, Tuolumne River, Mammoth Lakes, San Francisco, CA. Grand Falls, Blue Canyon, AR.
Other Countries - Sri Lanka. Macau, China, Borehamwood, UK.
Release Date: May 23 1984

Not as good as the other two indy films in the 80s but Harrison Ford as Indy never disappoints and still makes this film a fun and exciting adventure.

Also he has two new sidekicks in this movie named Short Round (a funny Chinese kid) and Willy (a hot high maintenance woman) and they wind up in India as they must help this village save these kidnapped children that's held as human enslavement inside the catacombs of an ancient palace.

"Are you trying to develop a sense of humor or am I going deaf?" - Indiana Jones played by Harrison Ford

#53. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade (1989)
Writers: Jeffrey Boam(screenplay) George Lucas(story) Menno Meyjes(story)
Stars: Harrison Ford, Sean Connery, Alison Doody, Denholm Elliott, John Rhys-Davies
Runtime: 2 Hours and 7 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Film Locations: USA - Moab and Arches National Park, UT. Alamosa, Cortez and Pagosa Springs, CO. Amarillo, TX. Chama, NM. San Francisco, CA.
Other Countries - Petra, Jordan Germany. Venice, Italy. Andalucνa, Spain. Hertfordshire, Borehamwood and Tilbury, UK.
Release Date: May 24 1989

Another enjoyable Indiana Jones movie with great action packed scenes and full of excitement. In this movie Indy teams up with his father to try and capture the holy grail, but they got Nazis that stand in their way and must fight them off to get it.

It was nice to see Indy as a kid as well and see him outsmart the thieves as he tries to steal a golden crucifix from them.

“I'm like a bad penny, I always turn up.” - Indiana Jones played by Harrison Ford

Indiana Jones and The Crystal skull was decent, consider it more as an honorable mention.

#54. Dog Day Afternoon (1976)
Director: Sidney Lumet
Writers: Frank Pierson(screenplay), P.F. Kluge(based upon a magazine article by) and Thomas Moore(based upon a magazine article by)
Stars: Al Pacino, John Cazale, Penelope Allen, Sully Boyar
Genre: Biography, Crime and Drama
Runtime: 2 Hours and 5 Minutes
Film Location: New York City, NY
Release Date: December 25 1975

A movie about some optimistic loser named Sonny attempting to rob a bank with his friend, Sal so he can have enough money for his wife's sex change operation.

Pacino's performance was great in this movie and what I liked a lot about this movie is it shows you when you rob a bank, a lot of things can go wrong and it's a road that you never want to venture on.

"Attica! Attica!" - Sonny played by Al Pacino

#55. Superbad (2007)
Director: Greg Mottola
Writers: Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg
Stars: Michael Cera, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Bill Hader, Seth Rogen, Emma Stone, Martha MacIsaac
Genre: Comedy
Runtime: 1 Hour and 53 Minutes
Rated R
Film Location: Los Angeles, CA
Release Date: August 17 2007

This was a good comedy movie with a few laughs here and there.

I like how Seth (Jonah Hill) and Evan (Michael Cera) as two best friends go through separation anxiety as they reach the end of the school year and attending a crazy house party before they go their own separate ways when going to college.

“I am McLovin!” – Fogell played by Christopher Mintz-Plasse

#56. The Hangover (2009)
Director: Todd Phillips
Writers: Jon Lucas and Scott Moore
Stars: Zach Galifianakis, Bradley Cooper, Justin Bartha, Ed Helms, Ken Keong, Heather Graham, Mike Tyson
Runtime: 1 Hour and 40 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Los Angeles, CA and Las Vegas, NV
Release Date: June 5 2009

Whatever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas and that's what pretty much happens when four men go on a rowdy adventure before one of them is getting married.

I found this film funny and a delightful one to watch even though the film seems like a stupid but silly movie where all the things they do in vegas, would certainly land them into some serious trouble and wouldn't get away with it easily like they do in the film.

"Toodle-oo, mother f*kers." - Mr Chow playes by Ken Keong

#57. Zombieland (2009)
Director: Ruben Fleischer
Writers: Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick
Stars: Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson, Abigail Breslin, Amber Heard, Bill Murray
Genre: Action, Comedy and Horror
Runtime: 1 Hour and 28 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Atlanta, Rutledge, Decatur and Valdosta GA. Los Angeles, CA
Release Date: October 2 2009

One of the best things about the horror genre is when there's comedy in it with loads of zombie killing fun. The cast did a fantastic job with this movie and wishing the movie was a little longer because I found them interesting to watch as they explore the zombie apocalypse world.

"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties." – Columbus played by Jesse Eisenberg

#58. Zombieland Double Tap (2019)
Director: Ruben Fleischer
Writers: Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick and Dave Callaham
Stars: Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson, Abigail Breslin, Zoey Deutch, Avan Jogia, Rosario Dawson, Luke Wilson, Thomas Middleditch
Genre: Action, Comedy and Horror
Runtime: 1 Hour and 39 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Atlanta, Macon, Jackson and Decatur, GA
Release Date: October 18 2019

I thought this was a good and enjoyable sequel with a few laughs here and there. It's nice to see the main four main characters back for another round of zombie killing.

“It's time to nut up or shut up.” - Tallahassee played by Woody Harrelson

#59. Deadpool (2016)
Director: Tim Miller
Writers: Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick
Stars: Ryan Reynolds, Morena Baccarin, T.J. Miller, Karan Soni, Ed Skrein, Michael Benyaer, Stefan Kapicic
Genre: Action, Adventure and Comedy
Runtime: 1 Hour and 47 Minutes
Rated R
Film Location: Vancouver, Canada
Distributed by: 20th Century Fox
Release Date: February 12 2016

Deadpool, the foul mouthed mercenary that brings alot of humor with him when he's fighting bad guys, better yet breaking the fourth wall to tell the audience on what his character is all about.

Ryan Reynolds does good playing as Dead pool and one of Marvel's best movies yet, imo.

"If I ever decide to become a crime-fighting sh*t swizzler who rooms with a bunch of other little whiners at Neverland Mansion with some creepy, old, bald, Heaven’s Gate-looking motherf*cker…on that day, I’ll send your shiny, happy ass a friend request."

The 2nd Deadpool movie was decent, more of an honorable mention.

#60. Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
Director: Martin Brest
Writers: Daniel Petrie Jr.(screenplay by) and Danilo Bach (story by)
Stars: Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold, John Ashton, Lisa Eilbacher, Ronny Cox
Genre: Action, Comedy and Crime
Runtime: 1 Hour and 45 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Los Angeles, CA and Detroit, MI
Release Date: December 5 1984

A fun, fast paced comedy action movie with a great cast and soundtrack. Eddie Murphy sure made this film enjoyable as he plays a smart and wise ass Detroit cop named Axel Foley who goes to Beverly Hills, California to find the men who killed his best friend.

There's also a nice comedy addition to this movie when he meets two Beverly Hills cops, Det. Billy Rosewood and Sgt. John Taggart which are played by Judge Reinhold and John Ashton

"Disturbing the peace? I got thrown out of a window! What's the f*ckin' charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?" - Axel Foley played by Eddie Murphy

#61. Beverly Hills Cop 2 (1987)
Director: Tony Scott
Writers: Danilo Bach (characters) and Daniel Petrie Jr. (characters)
Stars: Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold, John Ashton, Ronny Cox
Genre: Action, Comedy, Crime
Rated R
Film Location: Los Angeles, CA
Release Date: May 20 1987

Axel Foley is at it again in this exciting action packed sequel, not as good as the original but the movie still holds on its own.

In this sequel we have Axel returning to Beverly Hills to help his two cop buddies, Billy Rosewood and John Taggart investigate the near fatal shooting of Beverly Hills police captain, Andrew Bogomil and also trying to solve this series of alphabet crimes.

"Are you driving with your eyes open? Or are you, like, using "the force"?"- Axel Foley played by Eddie Murphy

The 3rd movie was alright, not a favorite of mines though

#62. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994)
Director: Tom Shadyac
Writers: Jack Bernstein(story), Tom Shadyac(screenplay) and Jim Carrey(screenplay)
Stars: Jim Carrey, Courteney Cox, Sean Young, Tone Loc
Runtime: 1 Hour and 26 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Film Location: Miami, FL
Release Date: February 4 1994

Jim Carrey is one of favorite actors in comedy and found this film entertaining to watch as he plays this goofy and wildly eccentric pet detective that is hired to solve this crime involving the kidnapping of the Miami Dolphins mascot.

They sure don’t make movies like these anymore, if they did it would get shunned upon which is a shame which the whole film was made to make people laugh and enjoy it.

"Alllrighty then." - Ace Ventura played by Jim Carrey

The 2nd movie was decent, not as good as the first movie

#63. The Simpsons Movie (2007)
Director: David Silverman
Writers: James L. Brooks(screenplay), Matt Groening(screenplay) and Al Jean(screenplay)
Stars: Dan Castellaneta(voice), Julie Kavner(voice), Nancy Cartwright(voice), Hank Azaria(voice), Harry Shearer(voice), Pamela Hayden(voice)
Genre: Animation, Adventure and Comedy
Runtime: 1 Hour and 27 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Film Location: Los Angeles, CA – Grace Films Studio
Distributed by: 20th Century Fox
Release Date: July 27 2007

As a fan of the tv show, I liked this movie and thought it was a fun one to watch from the people that made this film. My favorite character of the Simpsons would have to be Bart Simpson, I find him humorous and like how he gives Homer a hard time.

“He's not Spider-Pig anymore, he's Harry Plopper.” – Homer Simpson played by Dan Castellaneta

#64. The Duff (2015)
Director: Ari Sandel
Writers: Josh A. Cagan(screenplay) and Kody Keplinger(novel)
Stars: Mae Whitman, Robbie Amell, Bella Thorne, Bianca A. Santos, Skyler Samuels
Genre: Comedy and Romance
Runtime: 1 Hour and 41 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Film Locations: Conyers and Atlanta, GA
Distributed by: Lionsgate
Release Date: February 10 2015

A movie that I thought was not going to be good ended up proving me wrong and was a great teenage high school film and the cast did a good job in it. The film had a few laughs here and there, but a fun one to watch.

"In the end, it isn't about popularity or even getting the guy. It's about understanding that no matter what label is thrown your way, only you can define yourself." Bianca Piper played by Mae Whitman

#65. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
Director: Edgar Wright
Writers: Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright
Stars: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Kate Ashfield, Lucy Davis, Dylan Moran
Genre: Comedy and Horror
Runtime: 1 Hour and 39 Minutes
Rated R
Film Location: London, UK
Distributed by: Universal Pictures
Release Date: September 24 2004

#66. Resident Evil (2002)
Director: Paul W.S. Anderson
Writer: Paul W.S. Anderson
Stars: Milla Jovovich, Michelle Rodriguez, Ryan McCluskey, Eric Mabius, Martin Crewes
Genre: Action, Horror and Sci-Fi
Rated R
Film Locations: Toronto Ontario, Canada. Berlin and Bradenburg, Germany
Distributed by: Sony Pictures
Release Date: March 15 2002

As a fan of the video games, I enjoyed this fun horror sci fi film with zombies and other living dead creatures in it. Mila Jovovich that plays as Alice which was a cool character but wished the film used the characters from the video games first before making a new character, so in overall the movie was still a good one.

“You’re all going to die down here.” – Red Queen played by Michaela Dicker

#67. Resident Evil Apocalypse (2004)
Director: Alexander Witt
Writer: Paul W.S. Anderson
Stars: Milla Jovovich, Sienna Guillory, Oded Fehr, Thomas Kretschmann, Sophie Vavasseur, Iain Glenn, Matthew G, Taylor
Genre: Action, Horror and Sci-Fi
Runtime: 1 Hour and 34 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Brampton, Hamilton, Toronto Ontario and Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada. Berlin, Germany
Distributed by: Sony Pictures
Release Date: September 10 2004

[

Resident Evil: Extinction, Afterlife and Welcome to Racoon City were decent movies, still a fun watch I consider them honorable mentions same goes for the animated films. Retribution and The Final Chapter were okay, my least favorites in the series.

#68. The Godfather (1972)
Director: Francis Ford Coppola
Writers: Mario Puzo(screenplay by) and Francis Ford Coppola(screenplay by)
Stars: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Diane Keaton, Robert Duvall
Genre: Crime and Drama
Runtime: 2 Hours and 55 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: New York City, NY. Ross and Los Angeles, CA. Las Vegas, Nevada. Sicily, Italy
Release Date: March 24 1972

One of the best mafia movies ever made with a good cast in it and it's always a pleasure to see Pacino in these type of movies.

The thing I like about these mob movies that they show you the dangerous life of being in a mafia and being the target of rival mafia families, if you're not careful enough you may get whacked at the wrong place and the wrong time. Heck you may even get whacked by your own family if you screw things up for them.

"You talk about vengeance. Is vengeance going to bring your son back to you? Or my boy to me?" - Don Vito Corleone played by Marlon Brando

#69. The Godfather Part 2 (1974)
Director: Francis Ford Coppola
Writers: Mario Puzo(screenplay by) and Francis Ford Coppola(screenplay by)
Stars: Al Pacino, Diane Keaton, Robert Duvall, Robert De Niro, John Cazale, Talia Shire
Runtime: 3 Hours and 22 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: USA- Lake Tahoe and Los Angeles, CA. New York City, NY. Las Vegas, Nevada. Miami, Florida.
Other Countries – Catania and Sicily, Italy. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
Release Date: December 18 1974

This was a great sequel to the original movie and Pacino's performance in the sequel was outstanding, showing us how much his character is such a cold hearted type person that only cares about power, money and nothing else.

Also I think Robert De Niro was a great addition to the movie, playing young Vito and seeing him rise from shop assistant to mob boss.

“My father taught me many things here - he taught me in this room. He taught me: keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.” - Michael Corleone played by Al Pacino

The Godfather Part 3 was alright, not a favorite of mines.

#70. Casino (1995)
Director: Martin Scorsese
Writers: Nicholas Pileggi(book) and Martin Scorsese(screenplay)
Stars: Robert De Niro, Sharon Stone, Joe Pesci, James Woods
Runtime: 2 Hours and 58 Minutes
Rated R
Film Location: Las Vegas, NV
Distributed by: Universal Pictures
Release Date: November 22 1995

A good Las Vegas mob movie and like how De Niro and Pesci narrates the movie, it gives you a real life preceptive on how it was like running a casino back in the old days.

The acting from De Niro, Pesci and Stone was brilliant as the film shows us the destruction and betrayal that goes on throughout the film.

"When you love someone, you've gotta trust them. There's no other way. You've got to give them the key to everything that's yours. Otherwise, what's the point? And for a while, I believed, that's the kind of love I had." - Sam 'Ace' Rothstein played by Robert De Niro

#71. The Final Girls (2015)
Director: Todd Strauss-Schulson
Writers: L M.A. Fortin and Joshua John Miller
Stars: Taissa Farmiga. Malin Akerman, Adam Devine, Alexander Ludwig, Nina Dobrev, Alia Shawkat, Thomas Middleditch
Genre: Comedy, Fantasy and Horror
Runtime: 1 Hour and 31 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Baton Rouge and St. Francisville, LA
Distributed by: Stage 6 Films
Release Date: October 9 2015 (Limited)

I found this an interesting and enjoyable film to watch. I like how the characters get sucked into a summer camp horror movie and must find a way to survive it.

"You Just F*cked With The Wrong Virgin." - Max Cartwright played by Taissa Farmiga