Noirvember 2022

Tools    

Ha Great line in the movie too. My favorite part is when Bogart comes down hard on Mary Astor at the end of the film. In that scene he really tapped into darkened emotions that came across as repressed rage, much like he did in In A Lonely Place.
Have you seen Petrified Forest? It's Bogie at his most underrated, fully tapping into that powder keg about to go explode in rage and fury. Like a coiled rattler, ready to strike. Steals the movie from Bette Davis.

Have you seen Petrified Forest? It's Bogie at his most underrated, fully tapping into that powder keg about to go explode in rage and fury. Like a coiled rattler, ready to strike. Steals the movie from Bette Davis.
Oh yeah, love that one. On the last rewatch a few months ago, I realized just how all the elements really come together to make one superb movie. Like you said Bogie is great in this with his controlled rage just under his wishes-he-was really in full control demeanor. A fine performance indeed. I have to say Leslie Howard blew me away, so much that I need to seek out more of his film.

Phantom Lady (Robert Siodmak 1944)

Phantom Lady was only the 7th film Robert Sidomak made after coming to America and his very first noir. Visually the film is stunning being steeped in the German Expressionist /Noir lighting and compositing style. I swear literally ever frame of this movie could do double duty in a still photo exhibit...it looks that good. That's why I went to the trouble to do the 5 frame film strip.

Unfortunately the screenplay that was undoubtedly forced onto Sidomak is a non-sequitur idea that even the most casual viewer will immediately see makes no sense at all. Phantom Lady is based on a Cornell Woolrich novel and while I haven't read it from reviews it revolved around a 'phantom lady' who was sole alibi to an innocent man accused of murdering his wife. In the novel each time the investigators thought the had came close to locating the mystery woman they instead found nothing which further cost guilt of the accused man. The real killer was only revealed in the last part of the book.

However in the movie the accused man was seen in a bar and in a cab probing he wasn't at the murder seen and yet no one can remember the mystery woman, but she's not part of the alibi so all that is for naught. Even sillier is the scene that shows the locating of her hat to have significance when it proves nothing.

Siodmak does a first class job directing and that alone along with the beauty of Ella Raines and a potent jazz jam scene with Elisha Cook banging on the skins in what must have been meant to be a hopped up on drugs drummer. At least he plays the scene like someone high as a kite.

Sidomak's direction: A
Cast acting overall: B+
Script: C-

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Hey that's Howard Keel. I just seen him on an episode of The Love Boat. I always liked Keel and Day too of course.

I thought you would like those pictures.

The Black Glove

A modest noir from the great horror director Terence Fisher before he did Curse of Frankenstein or Horror of Dracula. More Christie than Chandler but has a sequence that just may have inspired the giallo genre.

3.5/5

Harper

While contemporarily praised, this film seems to have gotten a little lost in Newman's career. It's an excellent homage to Bogart, with Newman doing one of the best Marlowe/Spade impressions in a flawly neo-noir script from the great William Goldman. Everything you could expect or want in a love-letter to the genre, with excellent supporting roles from noir icons like Lauren Bacall and Shelley Winters.

Plus, it seems to be a visual influence on how Tarantino captured late '60s Hollywood in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

4.5/5

Harper

While contemporarily praised, this film seems to have gotten a little lost in Newman's career. It's an excellent homage to Bogart, with Newman doing one of the best Marlowe/Spade impressions in a flawly neo-noir script from the great William Goldman. Everything you could expect or want in a love-letter to the genre, with excellent supporting roles from noir icons like Lauren Bacall and Shelley Winters.

Plus, it seems to be a visual influence on how Tarantino captured late '60s Hollywood in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

4.5/5
I agree with you for sure. Even though Harper was based upon Ross MacDonald's The Moving Target, it was practically a contemporary update of The Big Sleep, even casting Lauren Bacall.

I really liked the film, which was a perfect role for Newman. I also like his 2nd Harper character role in 1975's The Drowning Pool.

I agree with you for sure. Even though Harper was based upon Ross MacDonald's The Moving Target, it was practically a contemporary update of The Big Sleep, even casting Lauren Bacall.

I really liked the film, which was a perfect role for Newman. I also like his 2nd Harper character role in 1975's The Drowning Pool.
I seek to acquire The Drowning Pool soon. I didn't realize how much I wanted to see Newman as a hard-boiled PI and now I can't get enough.

The Guilty (1947)

This is an “A” noir story filmed as a “B” movie by Monogram Pictures. Cornell Woolrich’s work was a cornucopia of noir stories used as a basis for many films. Here Woolrich’s short story Two Men in a Furnished Room provided the dark and claustrophobic tale. Along with the able direction of John Reinhardt (HighTide) underpinned by the effective score of Rudy Schrager (Deadline for Murder, Gunsmoke) this film’s innovative production deserved far better than the paltry budget it had to work with.

Much of the story is told in flash back. Two ex-army pals, Mike and Johnny, share an apartment. Mike gives support and comfort to Johnny’s PTSD from the war. Johnny had dated a gal (Linda), but for various reasons broke the relationship and started dating her twin sister (Estelle). Mike starts half-heartedly seeing Estelle, but we learn that both of the sisters were after Johnny. One thing is common in noir: if there are twins, generally one is good and one is bad. Here, which one is which keeps changing. One of the sisters is murdered, and for the rest of the film we’re treated to a number of twists and a surprise ending.

The cast is surprisingly effective for a cheapo production. Bonita Granville (Nancy Drew; Now Voyager) plays the twins, while Don Castle (High Tide; The Invisible Wall) plays Mike, and Wally Cassell (White Heat; City That Never Sleeps) plays the troubled ex-soldier. The dependable Regis Toomey turns in a nice part as the world weary and shady police detective.

The movie basically uses three rather threadbare sets, which has the unintended result of enhancing the story. It features not only twin ladies but an “unreliable narrator”, which adds to the mystery. And DP Henry Sharp frequently shows his talent for noir lighting and staging.

This is a little gem of a noir doesn’t get enough notice due to it’s “B” status. It does share some similarity to Robert Siodmak’s The Dark Mirror (1946)-- a full on “A” picture from Universal. The Guilty is a fine example of noir, and it’s available on YouTube.

Doc’s rating: 8/10

Ha Great line in the movie too. My favorite part is when Bogart comes down hard on Mary Astor at the end of the film. In that scene he really tapped into darkened emotions that came across as repressed rage, much like he did in In A Lonely Place.
I think it's interesting that although The Maltese Falcon is generally regarded by the experts as the first film of the recognizable noir movement in Hollywood, I Wake Up Screaming, released a month later actually displays more noir characteristics than does Falcon.

Falcon is more of a mystery/adventure character study, whereas Screaming has a more noir story along with much more chiaroscuro lighting and settings by the ace DP Edward Cronjager (who has not been known as a noir DP).

But Falcon had a heavyweight cast along with a wonderful mood and dialogue. Both are great films.

I think it's interesting that although The Maltese Falcon is generally regarded by the experts as the first film of the recognizable noir movement in Hollywood, I Wake Up Screaming, released a month later is actually displays more noir characteristics than does Falcon.

Falcon is more of a mystery/adventure character study, whereas Screaming has a more noir story along with much more chiaroscuro lighting and settings by the ace DP Edward Cronjager (who has not been known as a noir DP).

But Falcon had a heavyweight cast along with a wonderful mood and dialogue. Both are great films.
I have I Wake Up Screaming to watch. I don't think I've even seen it before. I know I haven't seen many of Betty Grable's movies...well one of the days

I have I Wake Up Screaming to watch. I don't think I've even seen it before. I know I haven't seen many of Betty Grable's movies...well one of the days
I recall it being solid, with good lead performances with Grabel and Mature, but not in the same league as Maltese Falcon.

I recall it being solid, with good lead performances with Grabel and Mature, but not in the same league as Maltese Falcon.
I'm lukewarm on Grabel. Though like I said I haven't really seen her in much. Mostly I associate her with musicals. I do like Victor Mature and I have that movie ready to watch. Not sure if it will be tonight or later.

Nora Prentiss (Vincent Sherman 1947)

I was looking through Ann Sheridan's filmography and seen this noir. I knew when I seen that it starred an actress and was 2 hours long and had a titular title relating to the lead woman character, that this would be heavy on melodrama like Mildred Pierce...But I didn't know I'd like it so much. I have to say the opening and closing scenes are heavily noir. I won't give away the plot, I'll just quote IMDB
A nightclub singer inspires a doctor to fake his own murder, leading to plenty of complications.
Ann Sheridan was good in this and has a lot of screen time. And for the first time I can say Kent Smith was interesting. Usually he's not, but here he's cast as a married doctor who's always on time and boring to boot. That is until he meets up with Ann Sheridan's character when he treats her for an injury, then he's hooked.

Nora Prentiss was a solid look an infidelity done up in melodrama-noir fashion with a very dark, sad ending.

I Wake Up Screaming (1941)

I have I Wake Up Screaming to watch. I don't think I've even seen it before...
Yes I had seen it!...As soon as we started watching this last night my wife tells me we've seen this movie before...Part of the reason this was so fresh in my mind is that I had recently seen Vicki (1953) which is a remake.

I Wake Up Screaming is a very early noir that has it's foot in the upbeat late 1930s. The title credits start with a bouncy tune and during the movie 'Over The Rainbow' plays in the background at the most un-opportune times. I mean The Wizard of Oz was only two years old at the time so I can't figure why that trademark song was used over and over again in this movie? If this had a more traditional and appropriate score the movie might have seemed more grounded in reality.

As it was the tone of the movie is akin to a stage play about 'murder in the boudoir' where nothing is taken too seriously and it's clear to the audience that you're watching for entertainment purposes.

That might sound like I disliked I Wake Up Screaming but I actually enjoyed it: Victor Mature is a blast as a smart mouthed promoter who's accused of murdering his latest talent find (Carole Landis). Laird Cregar is equally entertaining as a poetry spouting cop who wants to see Victor Mature fry for the model's death. Betty Grable was pretty snappy in the film. Good dramatic acting from her and she's pretty too. So I'm glad to have watched this very early noir again.

Some recent watches:

The MacKintosh Man: 4/5
The Connection: 3.5/5
The Paradine Case: 3.5/5
Night Moves (‘13): 4.5/5

Some recent watches:

The MacKintosh Man: 4/5
The Connection: 3.5/5
The Paradine Case: 3.5/5
Night Moves (‘13): 4.5/5
Night Moves (2013) was an interesting movie in that it puts the viewer in the mindset of what happened if you did something that turned out to be really stupid and deadly. At least that's how I seen it/felt about it.

I'm lukewarm on Grabel. Though like I said I haven't really seen her in much. Mostly I associate her with musicals. I do like Victor Mature and I have that movie ready to watch. Not sure if it will be tonight or later.
Well you're right. Betty Grable did 42 movies, and probably only a couple were dramatic roles. She was strictly musicals and comedies. She did a nice job in IWUS though.

Well you're right. Betty Grable did 42 movies, and probably only a couple were dramatic roles. She was strictly musicals and comedies. She did a nice job in IWUS though.
I read on IMDB it was her only noir and she had a song she sang in IWUS but they cut it to promote her as a dramatic actress. Sad about Carole Landis and her untimely departure.