Documentaries

Tools    

Do we have threads that are divided by the streaming platform? Might not be a bad idea. Sometimes I'll see something on Prime, and you are given the chance to choose between the two channels for a trial, and knowing that information could help make decisions easier.
There’s an Amazon Prime thread, which, actually, you started.

I also found a Netflix thread & a Hulu thread. No HBO thread that I could find.

Leaving momentarily so don’t have time to post links.

Any love for Rich Hall?

I love documentary movies and films, I don't think that documentary forum would fly. Many people watch documentaries and also love to produce or create documentaries.

This is clearly not my genre of cinema, but a couple of times I still watched such films with my father.

Re-watch. Interesting, mostly for seeing Jimmy Page. How Jack White got in the same room as him and The Edge is puzzling, but he was ok I guess.

A system of cells interlinked
Most recently for me...

I don't actually wear pants.
For documentaries I normally watch documentary series over documentary features. My favorites are World War II in Colour, Great Raids of World War II, Monty Python Almost the Truth, Patton 360, Life of Python, Animal Planet's Most Extreme, Monty Python Live at Aspen, and 30 Years of Monty Python.

I hate pop music with a passion, but this documentary was quite good. She seems like a nice lady who, maybe, is in her head too much. On the other hand she’s had lupus & a kidney transplant so who am I to judge.

Don’t waste time watching this. Unbelievable that in 2022 someone would actually present this as new. I would say 99% of it has been seen before. Worst thing is the horrible quality of the footage. They could at least have found some decent quality stuff. Does footage really degrade that fast?

Don’t believe any of the encomia on the cover. All untrue.

So interesting. Martin Scorsese interviews his parents in their apartment in Little Italy in 1974. Lots of stories about their families coming to America from the old country & how each generation raised their kids. His mother lived with her 8 siblings, 2 boarders & her parents in a tiny apartment.

Does footage really degrade that fast?

If it is on magnetic tape? If the image has been reformatted for different media several times? Yeah.

I just popped on the King of Marvin Gardens last night and was floored (I shouldn't have been, but I was) and how clear and crisp the image was. Compare that to made-for-TV fare made years later that has been preserved on video tape and it's amazing how horrible 480p really is. No offense, I loved the format and it can look great on an old CRT, but video quality took a massive dip in the age video tape masters.