Bad Movies by Great Directors?

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Peter Yates, who is probably best known for the movies Bullitt (1968), The Hot Rock (1972), and Breaking Away (1979), also directed the movie Eyewitness (1981).

Somehow this movie was terrible, even with a cast that included William Hurt, Sigourney Weaver, Christopher Plummer, and James Woods.
Was that movie terrible? I haven't seen it in like 37 years but I liked it back then. But I was also very young.

Victim of The Night
Heh. I actually like Rise of Skywalker. It’s not great or anything, but I didn’t hate it.
Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade. But Jesus I thought that was the worst ratio of budget to badness I'd ever seen. It's still my standard because Oscar-winning Director, Chloe Zhao's Eternals didn't cost nearly as much to make.

Victim of The Night
Popeye from Altman stands out.
Wait, really?
I haven't seen it in a long time but my understanding was that it was close to a misunderstood masterpiece.
I assume your mileage varied.

Edit:
"Popeye," then, is lots of fun. It suggests that it is possible to take the broad strokes of a comic strip and turn them into sophisticated entertainment. What's needed is the right attitude toward the material. If Altman and his people had been the slightest bit condescending toward "Popeye," the movie might have crash-landed. But it's clear that this movie has an affection for "Popeye," and so much regard for the sailor man that it even bothers to reveal the real truth about his opinion of spinach.
- Roger Ebert, New Year's Day, 1980

Victim of The Night
Popeye is great!

I'm sure it's easier to find a worse Altman.....Gingerbread Man? Pret a Portez?
I didn't think Pret-a-Porter as bad so much as boring and pointless.

The trick is not minding
Wait, really?
I haven't seen it in a long time but my understanding was that it was close to a misunderstood masterpiece.
I assume your mileage varied.

Edit:
"Popeye," then, is lots of fun. It suggests that it is possible to take the broad strokes of a comic strip and turn them into sophisticated entertainment. What's needed is the right attitude toward the material. If Altman and his people had been the slightest bit condescending toward "Popeye," the movie might have crash-landed. But it's clear that this movie has an affection for "Popeye," and so much regard for the sailor man that it even bothers to reveal the real truth about his opinion of spinach.
- Roger Ebert, New Year's Day, 1980
I didn’t even find it “sophisticated”. What it tried to do, it didn’t do well.

The movie on the whole isn't bad, but Godard's segment in Far From Vietnam is pretty dreadful.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Was that movie terrible? I haven't seen it in like 37 years but I liked it back then. But I was also very young.

I saw it a few years ago, but all I really remember about it is that I couldn't believe that a movie with such a great cast could be that bad. I've never had a desire to rewatch it.

Victim of The Night
I didn’t even find it “sophisticated”. What it tried to do, it didn’t do well.
Interesting. I saw it way back when it first came on HBO, so '81 or '82 at the latest and I remember thinking it was just incomprehensible to me (at a time when I watched every movie on cable, this one gave me a hard time) but I have read so many times that it is actually really good I keep thinking about going back to it.

Interesting. I saw it way back when it first came on HBO, so '81 or '82 at the latest and I remember thinking it was just incomprehensible to me (at a time when I watched every movie on cable, this one gave me a hard time) but I have read so many times that it is actually really good I keep thinking about going back to it.

It is kind of incomprehensible. The whole film is barely controlled chaos at times. Things are always happening even if the main plot is the film is frequently inert.

I would never think to call it a masterpiece. It's just a really weird movie. And it's unique, which makes it worthwhile in my book.

Not that I would have agreed the first time I saw it, in the theater when I was about five, I fiercely hated it. As any child probably should. Altman's style is very much not for kids, even if the surface of Popeye makes it probably seem to most adults that only a kid could enjoy it.

It's basically a movie in limbo, without any real specific audience that would want it. Perfect for a scavenger like me.

Welcome to the human race...
The movie on the whole isn't bad, but Godard's segment in Far From Vietnam is pretty dreadful.
Assuming we can count anthologies with multiple directors, I'm pretty sure Four Rooms is this for Tarantino (even if his segment is far and away the best).

Assuming we can count anthologies with multiple directors, I'm pretty sure Four Rooms is this for Tarantino (even if his segment is far and away the best).
This is probably fair, although I like the movie enough (I like the Rodriguez segment the best, and the Rockwell one has some laughs, it’s really just the Anders one that’s terrible).

Eternals is a rather dubious addition to the superhero universe. So it remains a complete mystery to me why someone like Zhao is being appointed to do this. This isn't the first time Marvel has appointed directors who don't have much to do with the genre, but Zhao really doesn't fit the bill at all.

Victim of The Night
Eternals is a rather dubious addition to the superhero universe. So it remains a complete mystery to me why someone like Zhao is being appointed to do this. This isn't the first time Marvel has appointed directors who don't have much to do with the genre, but Zhao really doesn't fit the bill at all.
I don't really think Zhao was the problem with that movie, they had a bad script, they had to do all the little Marvel things, and they didn't spend enough money on the CGI.

Damn you. I was really hoping that one was real!
Then there was Capra's sequel: Connecticut Cannibals Go To Washington which most people choose to forget after the lengthy filibuster filet scene.

i've only seen a small percentage of his films but Obayashi is clearly an all-timer and boy is The Drifting Classroom a huge miss.
I only saw House which I found to be a fun time. I noticed that another Obayashi movie was your number 1(Hangatami).

I only saw House which I found to be a fun time. I noticed that another Obayashi movie was your number 1(Hangatami).
his last 4 films is the best run of films any director has ever had. the man perfected the art form before he left us