Succession

Tools    

Now Logan is suddenly concerned about Roman's safety. It's exasperating that all Logan is thinking about at the beginning of the second season finale is covering his own ass. "Welcome to our city on the water...it's like Venice, but it smells nice." Can't believe we didn't get to see Greg's questioning by congress. Why would they just skip over that? I'm hoping we get a real good reason down the pike. Have the bad reviews for Willa's play triggered the beginning of the end of her relationship with Connor? Surprising how Roman underplayed his return...was sure he would make a spectacle about the danger he was in. It was sad that Kendall seems to have given up. I think I just figured out what Logan means by taking the company private. I'm a little slow on the take sometimes, but if I'm correct, what he wants to do seems virtually impossible. It was refreshing to see Logan taking Roman seriously for a change and I'm trusting Logan's banker less and less. I couldn't tell if he quit or not. That scene between Connor and Logan was excellent. Not much fun watching Logan tighten his grip on Kendall's balls. It was obvious that Tom was not feeling this threesome but sweet that he was willing to go along for Shiv, though I'm not 100% sure what her motives were either. Loved Connor ordering an entire bottle of burgundy for breakfast. I hated Kendall referring to the family as "loyal servants." Loved watching the family turn on Tom and he kind of deserves to be the "blood sacrifice" as Logan so eloquently phrased it. "There's no need to say elephant in the room, there are fifteen other elephants in the room." The meeting with Stewie was awesome...love that he is not intimidate by Logan, like most of the rest of the cast of characters. I have never heard the phrase "I love you" spoken with less sincerity than when Shiv uses it about her husband. I can't believe she had the nerve to be shocked when he said he wasn't happy. Tom, Logan and the chicken...what was that about? Why is Shiv able to show her love for Tom to her father but not to Tom? Sara Snook was wonderful in that brief scene with Brain Cox. Took me most of this episode to realize that Marcia left Logan. I think we all knew who was going to be the blood sacrifice all along, so why make us sweat the way they did? Logan literally stabbed Kendall in the heart when he told he wasn't a killer. And the final screw you to Roman from Logan seemed like an appropriate way to end season two.

The family is still on the move and apparently Kendall has not given up yet as season 3 commenced. Don't know where this resurgence came from, but loving the return of season 1 Kendall. That was awesome when Kendall threw Carolina out of the car. Loved when Kendall was giving Greg instructions and Greg didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Must have missed something in the season 2 finale because I'm not getting the gulf between Logan and Kendall. "This is like OJ...except if OJ didn't kill anyone." Is this family actually trying to escape federal charges by fleeing the country? That meeting between Kendall and his ex-wife was brilliantly awkward...so civil and icy. "Frank, you're not trusted...you're mashed potatoes." Why is Ewing taking what Logan is doing out on Greg's mother? Solid work by Kieran Culkin during that phone call between Logan and Roman. Nice guest shot from Sanaa Lathan as the high-powered attorney Lisa. "So I'm not giving you enough money for gender appropriate razors now?" Can't believe Kendall brought Naomi to Ravi's house. I'm thinking more and more that this hayseed thing that Greg is perpetrating is an act. I still think when this show is over, Greg is going to be running Waystar/Royco..

Ep 2 offered offered the first real look at the Roy siblings that we've really seen, Really starting to hate Tom, and I'd really like to see him thrown under the bus instead of Greg. Greg hasn't figured out yet that he's going to have to choose between his grandfather and the rest of the Roys. That lawyer who showed up at Greg's house was shady as hell. It was fun watching Logan kiss Connor's ass. Logan asking Roman to keep an eye on Gerri was like asking the mouse to watch the cheese factory. The return of Marcia...brrrr...nice to see that Marcia actually has a price and legal representation to make sure she got it. LOved Peter Reigert as Ewing's lawyer. They want us to think Gerri is the man now, bit is she really?

The third episode of the third season is finding the return of first season Kendall. I don't know what this game is that Greg is playing between Logan and Kendall, but it seems very dangerous. Don't really understand Roman's half-hearted efforts to stay in father' good graces when he seems to hate him so much. How does Shiv continue to believe anything that comes out of her father's mouth? It was nice ti see shiv fire her first real shot against Kendali in this war. Logan trying to hide from the FBI- maybe the funniest thing I've seen on this show thus far. Kendall watching the FBI entrance was priceless.

Greg looked like he was going to evaporate into a puddle of water at the beginning of ep 4. Loved Frank and Carl trying to talk to Kendall and Frank continually motioning Carl to shut up. Don't really understand how the President can get Logan out of this. "What I can't masturbate at the time and place of my choosing?" That scene between Logan and Greg was glorious. "Do you know they're calling me Terminal Tom down on 7 because I've go cancer of the career?" I'm giving Shiv and Tom's marriage about three months. Why is Connor all of a sudden interested in the company? I thought he wanted to be the POTUS. That scene between Shiv and Connor was nasty. Oscar winner Adrien Brody was properly smooth as Josh. Brody perfectly conveyed Josh's awkwardness about being a buffer between Logan and Kendall. That silence between Logan and Kendall after Josh left was deafening. That meeting that Roman and Hugo had with the guy with the marking on his head was weird...really couldn't tell if that guy knew why he was there. "You know the Beatles put out some of their best sh*t when they were suing each other." Matthew MacFayden was chilling in that scene where he was trying to intimidate Greg. Josh is playing Logan and Kendall like a fiddle. Tom's terror about going to jail is cracking me up and I don't feel the least bit sorry for him. "I don't like betting on blood feuds." As brilliant as those scenes with Josh, Kendall, and Logan were, I really didn't see what was accomplished. Every scene that Roman and Geri share is getting to be appointment television. "You tried to assassinate our dad with the sun." Once he saw the real Logan, Josh didn't waste anytime climbing into a different pocket.

Questions of where some allegences really are coming to light as the Shareholders Meeting opens up ep 5. "Tomorrow we're all going to look for jobs in the same branch of Target." Wonder exactly what Connor is up to. First ep where I've seen Stewie sweat. When did Sandy become incapacitated? Looks like Greg might have backed the wrong horse. Though he would never let Greg see it, Greg's actions have clearly broken his grandfather's heart. Despite Sandy's condition, the Roys better not count their chickens. Love the way Logan runs and hides every time he is really needed. Loved when he said "F*ck 'em" and no one knew exactly what he meant. I have to wonder if Sandy Jr might be faking his incapitation because as things progressed, Sandy Jr (beautifully played by Hope Davis) seemed to acting on her own. Logan and Tom in the bathroom...hilarious. That backstage panic at the meeting was brilliantly directed...great camerawork. Felt so bad about Frank tapdancing onstage. Cannot believe Greg is thinking about suing his grandfather. for cutting him off. Nothing good can come of that. Love that Connor wants to say no to the president. Did you see Sandy Jr's eyes light up when Shiv offered her a seat on the board? She's going to end up screwing her father somehow. Loved Roman's phone consversation with the president. What Kendall did on that stage took some real cajones. Greg kills me...he's going to sue Greenpeace. The relationship between Logan and Kendall might be the most complex father/son relationship I have ever seen on a television series.

The opening of ep 6 revealed that Kendall might not be taking what's going on as seriously as he should. Greg is still playing a very dangerius game waffling between Kendall and the rest of the Roys. Really don't understand Shiv's loyalty to Logan...he treats her differently every episoe. "Dpn't worry Greg, this is a safe space where you don't have to pretend to like Hamilton". I was wondering why Caroline would get married without informing her children, but as I typed this, I think I did figure out why. Tom's horror about going to prison is getting old and I still don't feel sorry for him. "With you on contraception, it's like throwing so much cake batter into a brick wall." Was Connor actually pimping out Willow to further his political ambitions? Greg really needs to stop trusting Tom. Can't believe Kendall fired Sanaa Latham. Justin Kirk was hysterical in this episode, hope we get to see more of him. Jeremy Strong and Matthew MacFayden played that scene in the restaurant, though I don't get how Kendall can keep Tom out of jail. Greg killed me talking about Connor being president. I'm beginning to think Logan is made of teflon.

Ep 7 actually opened with Jeremy Strong singing, which I didn't see coming at all. Not bad. It was a nice little acting showcase for Matthew MacFayden, but why did Tom have to destroy Gerg's office? "Where is he? Getting his nose done? ******* whitened?" Loved the dress that Shiv wore to Kendall's party. I can't believe Kedall had all those tabloid headlines blown up to poster size for party decorations. That wasa really messed up. Love those screens of fire...very creepy. Logan's "offer" to Kendall really got to Kendall, even if he's in deep denial about it. "May we please step inside your mental disorder?" Big props for the imegainatin Kendall put into his own birthday party. Don't know why Shiv hasn't walked away from this family decades ago. Kendall's encounter with Ravi was beautifully awkward. Loved when Kendall was looking for the present from his kids. Actually, Jeremy Strong has knocked it out of the park this entire ep. He should have won an Emmy for this ep alone. Rome put Shiv in her place. Rome seems the only person who seems to be abe to get to Shiv.

The return of Hope Davis as Sandy Jr was a strong start to ep 8. Kendall's relationship with his mother seems to be just as toxic as the one with his father. More Geri and Roman please...and could we please get some clarificstion regarding the fluidity of Roman's sexuality? No one has told Connor yet that he can't be POTUS with a prostitute girlfriend. Tom and Shiv were so mean to Greg, that was so uncalled for. That private meeting between Kendall and Logan was beautifully written and performed. Kendall actually seemed to be attempting what he thought was sincerity but Logan was having none of it. Do the Roys realize how seriously broken this Madsen guy is? Why do they want to be in business with this guy? "Firing people is about 85% of the reason I get up in the morning." I was surprised that Shiv knew as much about Roman as she did. That final shot of Kendall was a heartbreaker...very Marilyn Monroe.

The opening of the third season finale with Logan reading to his grandson was so sweet. I've never found Logan so likable, but he bounced back to the Logan we know and love pretty quickly. The sibs playing Monopoly had a delicious irony to it. That shot of the helicopter cruising over the Greek Islands was breathtaking. Does Logan think Roman is gay? The siblings intervention scene with Kendall was brilliantly performed. I can't believe what Connor said to Kendall. Alan Ruck was particularly awesome in that scene. I like that Connor is finally showing interest in the family business. The wedding venue was one of the mist beautiful churches I have ever seen. "Get in there, Greg. If Roman marries her, he'll invade France." HATED Caroline's so-called wedding attire...what was she thinking? Lost it when shiv wished that her mother's marriage would be as happy and fulfilling as hers is. Can't believe Greg called Roman a sexual pervert...Greg's really out of his league here. I don't know what's going on with Kendall, but it's scaring me. I don't think anyone in the family should be trusting Madsen, getting a bad vibe from him. Can't believe Kendall confessed to Shiv and Roman...Jeremy Strong should have won an Emmy for this scene alone. Loved the way Shiv and Roman supported their brother, which I didn't see coming. That scene with Kendall, Shiv, and Roman was AMAZING. I was sort of shocked by Kendall, Shiv, and Rome's plan, but not really. Is Greg getting ready to marry royalty? Can't believe Greg is considering getting in bed with Tom again? He hasn't figured out that he can't trust Tom? Loved that last scene...you could tell it ws killing Roman to go against his father. Caroline was quite the knife in the back...can't believe she would do that to her own children, Logan, yeah, but their mother? I'm hoping that everything Logan has done will bring the siblings closer together in season 4. Helluva three season ride, really enjoyed it.

Loved Greg describing Logan at the beginning of season 4 ep 2 as if Santa Claus was a hitman. This Shiv/Tom divorce is going to get UG-LY. So Carrie is just using Logan to become an anchor? Should have seen that coming. Of course, we can't tell how Logan feels about it. Loved that her audition tape was terrible. Brian Cox nailed Logan's speech to the troops. It brought to mind Orson Welles in Citizen Kane. The scene with the siblings at the heliport was a riot. Loved that Hugo and Gerri were cracking up at Carrie's audition tape. Loved the return of Sandy I still don't think the siblings should trust himas far as they can throw him. Willa walking out on her wedding rehearsal staggering drunk? What's that about? Rome;s insensitivity to Conner did make me laugh though. Logan trying to throw Tom under the bus regarding Carrie is classic Logan. Shiv ordered club soda at the bar, is it possible that she's pregnant? Kendall's video call to Lucas was awesome, loving Alexander Skarsgaard as Lucas. The Tom throwing Greg under the bus regarding Carrie scene was excellent. It's a little creepy seeing Kendall and Shiv on the same page. Nicholas Braun played that scene with Carrie brilliantly. "If this focus group isn't real, I'm going to take you apart like a human string cheese." is Rome really acting as a double agent? Logan has got to stop thinking his children are stupid. Gauging Logan's sincerity in that scene with the kids is pretty much impossible to determine and Brian Cox deserves a lot of the credit for that. Alan Ruck's farewell speech to his siblings was a heartbreaker. Conner is coming off as suicidal right now. Roman needs to watch his step with his father.

Connor's wedding turned out to be the canvas for a real turning point in this show. Not really sure why Logan wants to fire Gerri and the fact that he's making Roman do it is a real pussy movie. Couldn't really tell if Tom was lying to Greg or not. Even though it's not traditional, LOVED Willa's wedding dress. Tom's lips were very firmly attached to Logan's ass during the opening scenes, not that I'm convinced it's going to help once he and Shiv are divorced. Loved Shiv's suit with the little gold lock on the belt. Keiran Culkin totally played that scene where he first tried to fire Gerri. Loved that Gerri figured it out without Roman actually saying it. Wondering if firing Gerri is a good idea...she knows where a lot of bodies are buried. Didn't realize until today that Connor has a different mother than the other three siblings. Great to see the kids' real feeling about their dad come to the surface after getting the initial news about Logan. Tom made one lousy conduit between Logan and his kids. I was a little shocked when Kendall said that, even now, he couldn't forgive Logan. Loved the tracking shot of Kendall breaking the news to Shiv. Sarah Snook nailed it when she took the phone to talk to her father. Frank is really not handling this very well, second only to Tom. Loved Connor's reaction to the news about Logan. That scene in the cabin with the four siblings trying to decipher what's happening was intense and riveting, it had a real improvisational feel to it. "Judging by her grin, you'd think she caught a foul ball at Yankee Stadium." Not sure that I cared for the reference to Chuckles the Clown. Dying to know what's in Tom's file titled "logistics." Would love to see Greg throw Tom under the bus. It was heartbreaking that Connor was afraid that cancelling the wedding would imply that Willa was backing out. "My father's dead and I feel old." How refreshing that Willa admitted that Connor's money was a part of the package she liked. "We'll get a funeral off the racks." Interesting how the media got on to what was happening so quickly. I can already see the events of this episode bringing the siblings closer than they've ever been. Loved where Roman's head was during that last scene with Gerri. Loved the cameras behind the fence at the airport. Sarah Snook nailed the reading of the statement to the press. Very glad Connor and Willa went through with the wedding. Congrats to director Mark Mylod for pirating an hour of appoint television.

Connor's wedding turned out to be the canvas for a real turning point in this show. Not really sure why Logan wants to fire Gerri and the fact that he's making Roman do it is a real pussy movie. Couldn't really tell if Tom was lying to Greg or not. Even though it's not traditional, LOVED Willa's wedding dress. Tom's lips were very firmly attached to Logan's ass during the opening scenes, not that I'm convinced it's going to help once he and Shiv are divorced. Loved Shiv's suit with the little gold lock on the belt. Keiran Culkin totally played that scene where he first tried to fire Gerri. Loved that Gerri figured it out without Roman actually saying it. Wondering if firing Gerri is a good idea...she knows where a lot of bodies are buried. Didn't realize until today that Connor has a different mother than the other three siblings. Great to see the kids' real feeling about their dad come to the surface after getting the initial news about Logan. Tom made one lousy conduit between Logan and his kids. I was a little shocked when Kendall said that, even now, he couldn't forgive Logan. Loved the tracking shot of Kendall breaking the news to Shiv. Sarah Snook nailed it when she took the phone to talk to her father. Frank is really not handling this very well, second only to Tom. Loved Connor's reaction to the news about Logan. That scene in the cabin with the four siblings trying to decipher what's happening was intense and riveting, it had a real improvisational feel to it. "Judging by her grin, you'd think she caught a foul ball at Yankee Stadium." Not sure that I cared for the reference to Chuckles the Clown. Dying to know what's in Tom's file titled "logistics." Would love to see Greg throw Tom under the bus.
That 30 minute scene when they all got the Logan news was done in a single take.

Can’t believe how well Shiv recovered from falling down the step. That had to hurt.

Hilarious scene with poor Kerry when the contents of her bag fell on the floor. Marcia is a dragon!!!

Just watched the beginning of "Honeymoon States" and is the first mention there's been of Shiv's pregnancy? Can't wait to see what options she is seriously considering. Will she even tell Tom? Is Tom even the father? Loved Kendall's reaction to seeing Marcia. Couldn't tell if she was lying about her nightly phone calls with Logan. The siblings' treatment of Greg? A little much? Carl seems about thisclose to doing a jig on Logan's grave. He was kind of harsh to Tom, but not altogether wrong. Loved that little dig exchange between Marcia and Willa. I don't know why, but I was thrown by Connor's interest in the house. That plotting between Frank, Carl, and Gerri was really squirm worthy. "Roman pre-grieved...he already gave at the office." Didn't get exactly what Horace was confessing to Kendall about but pretty sure a clear explanation will manifest itself later. Can't wait to see how legally binding that paper of Logan's is. Liked the way Greg tried to stand up to the board. Is Kendall really surprised that Logan wanted him to take over? Seriously? Frank's got an agenda that seems to be coming into focus. Marcia's treatment of Carrie was SO creepy. Stewey's appearance was as greasy as ever. Mom seems to be taking her sweet time getting in the middle of things. Did Kendall just think Rome and Shiv were going to sit back and accept all o this? Can't believe Rome and Kendall manipulated Shiv like that. "Long live the king, long live the king, no, the other king." So who do Horace and Carolina want in place? Yeah, that line on Kendall's name on that piece of paper is definitely open to interpretation.

Just watched the beginning of "Honeymoon States" and is the first mention there's been of Shiv's pregnancy? Can't wait to see what options she is seriously considering. Will she even tell Tom? Is Tom even the father? Loved Kendall's reaction to seeing Marcia. Couldn't tell if she was lying about her nightly phone calls with Logan. The siblings' treatment of Greg? A little much? Carl seems about thisclose to doing a jig on Logan's grave. He was kind of harsh to Tom, but not altogether wrong. Loved that little dig exchange between Marcia and Willa. I don't know why, but I was thrown by Connor's interest in the house. That plotting between Frank, Carl, and Gerri was really squirm worthy. "Roman pre-grieved...he already gave at the office." Didn't get exactly what Horace was confessing to Kendall about but pretty sure a clear explanation will manifest itself later. Can't wait to see how legally binding that paper of Logan's is. Liked the way Greg tried to stand up to the board. Is Kendall really surprised that Logan wanted him to take over? Seriously? Frank's got an agenda that seems to be coming into focus. Marcia's treatment of Carrie was SO creepy. Stewey's appearance was as greasy as ever. Mom seems to be taking her sweet time getting in the middle of things. Did Kendall just think Rome and Shiv were going to sit back and accept all o this? Can't believe Rome and Kendall manipulated Shiv like that. "Long live the king, long live the king, no, the other king." So who do Horace and Carolina want in place? Yeah, that line on Kendall's name on that piece of paper is definitely open to interpretation.
So confused about Shiv’s pregnancy. It seemed to come from nowhere. Did her & Tom talk about freezing eggs before? Has to be Tom’s baby. I do think she’s being very mean to him though I can see her POV. I doubt Marcia had intimate evening phone calls with Logan. Marcia is lucky she & Logan didn’t actually divorce. No clue why Connor dropped $63 million for that house. Weird.

Hugo (not Horace) has a daughter who traded in her Waystar stock the day before it went public & now it looks like Hugo or his daughter could be accused of insider trading. Hugo says he’s innocent & barely speaks to his daughter. This is what he confessed to Kendall, which Kendall used to blackmail Hugo into siding with him (Kendall) rather than with Shiv & Roman. Stupid Hugo: Kendall would never have found out about the stock if Hugo had said nothing.

Marcia is a barracuda. She always tried to put Willa in her place & did the same with Kerry. Kerry asking Roman to find out if Logan had taken any steps towards marrying her was so desperate.

Marcia calling a cab for Kerry to take her to the subway & then to her small apartment was hilarious.

Blast of a season so far. Questions:

1) The piece of paper that they found in the safe - did it originally have Kendall's name on? Or did they change it? They discussed the possibility of making it disappear, then they seemed to completely be on board with it.

2) Episode 4 ended with Kendall completely overriding Roman's decision to put out a nasty press release that dished dirt on Logan and blamed him. Yet episode 5 picked up without any mention of it. Surely Roman would have been seething at Kendal's decision reversal?

3) Did anybody else get Ex Machina vibes from Matsson's Scandinavian retreat?

Blast of a season so far. Questions:

1) The piece of paper that they found in the safe - did it originally have Kendall's name on? Or did they change it? They discussed the possibility of making it disappear, then they seemed to completely be on board with it.

2) Episode 4 ended with Kendall completely overriding Roman's decision to put out a nasty press release that dished dirt on Logan and blamed him. Yet episode 5 picked up without any mention of it. Surely Roman would have been seething at Kendal's decision reversal?

3) Did anybody else get Ex Machina vibes from Matsson's Scandinavian retreat?
The piece of paper in the safe had Kendall Logan Roy’s name on it. Depending on who you speak to, does the line under his name lend credence to Logan’s wishes or, as Shiv says, is the line actually deleting Kendall’s name? It’s hugely ambiguous & typical of Logan. Frank & Carl did not change what was on the piece of paper.

Kendall got Hugo secretly to plant the dirt on Logan Roy. Hugo didn’t want, as he put it, to “freelance” on this, but Kendall was still blackmailing him about his daughter & the Waystar stock & Hugo agreed to make the plant. So Roman had no idea it came from Kendall.

Did not get Ex Machina vibes at all, but that’s just me.

Yeah, the thing with Kendall having Hugo plant those stories is that it's exactly the kind of thing we saw (or, more accurately, inferred) Logan did. From the moment he heard his name was on that piece of paper he started acting exactly like his father, in all the best and worst ways (mostly the latter).

As for the line, I appreciate the ambiguity but if I saw that in real life I'd say it's an underline, since it starts underneath and I'm assuming it went left-to-right. But I like that it just gives them all another excuse to argue. The more salient objection is that it was seemingly created before Kendall's multiple attempts to overthrow his father.

Great show as always. Only significant critique I have over the last few episodes is that Matsson's weird reveal about his blood would've made way, way more sense coming from Ebba.

Yeah, the thing with Kendall having Hugo plant those stories is that it's exactly the kind of thing we saw (or, more accurately, inferred) Logan did. From the moment he heard his name was on that piece of paper he started acting exactly like his father, in all the best and worst ways (mostly the latter).

As for the line, I appreciate the ambiguity but if I saw that in real life I'd say it's an underline, since it starts underneath and I'm assuming it went left-to-right. But I like that it just gives them all another excuse to argue. The more salient objection is that it was seemingly created before Kendall's multiple attempts to overthrow his father.

Great show as always. Only significant critique I have over the last few episodes is that Matsson's weird reveal about his blood would've made way, way more sense coming from Ebba.
Yes, I’m more for Kendall’s name on the piece of paper as being Logan’s legitimate wish. I don’t think he would ever have left the company to Roman or Shiv alone.

I have to re-watch the episode (I always watch them twice). I was tired & the Ebba Lukas blood thing went right over my head.

What’s your take on Shiv’s pregnancy? No idea what this woman is up to.