Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

Caged (1950)

So this made the 1950's list for MOFO and this was fairly mediocre...it's one of those films where I'm really curious how it managed to stick out enough to garner votes...

The elephant in the room when watching Caged is how unrealistic the prison seems in today's perspective.
Not my choice for you but it was my nom in the 50's Hall Of Fame and I'm guessing enough people liked it for it to make the 1950s countdown. I sometimes think you try to pigeon hole movies into specific boxes and judge them against those standards. A film like Caged is best judged by other films from the early 1950s. I don't think classic films need to be judged by 'today's lens'. But that's just my feelings.

Not my choice for you but it was my nom in the 50's Hall Of Fame and I'm guessing enough people liked it for it to make the 1950s countdown. I sometimes think you try to pigeon hole movies into specific boxes and judge them against those standards. A film like Caged is best judged by other films from the early 1950s. I don't think classic films need to be judged by 'today's lens'. But that's just my feelings.

Perhaps...though I've seen plenty of good prison movies that were made before and after Caged. What makes Caged an average to below average film is that you have several times when actors do soliloquies on what Prison is. You have about four or five scenes when the audience is being basically directly spoken to and the version of Prison that we are seeing is a highly idealized version of it. You have a scene in the film where the prisons riot and assault the guard. The result is the leader gets three days in solitary.

I enjoyed Caged and The Edge of Seventeen, the latter was recommended to me by Captain Spaulding and it made my ballot for the female directors countdown.

Had a few things I was concerned with so went to the Dr yesterday. Gave me 4 prescriptions and a blood test. He called me at the end of the day and said I need to go to the ER. My D-Dimer level was over 3000 and normal level is 50. ER Dr thought I had either blood clots or cancer. Got EKG, ultrasound, X-Ray, and Cat-Scan. Everything fine. Today a little swelling left in feet but can walk perfect and feel perfect. Like what the hell.

Yea I'm fine, both my feet got swollen from jumping out of a new higher truck all day, and at the same time I got an allergic reaction. Drs just thought it was something but it was nothing.

Yea I'm fine, both my feet got swollen from jumping out of a new higher truck all day, and at the same time I got an allergic reaction. Drs just thought it was something but it was nothing.
Allergic reaction or side effects from meds sucks. Glad to read it was nothing.

Departures

A cellist loses his job in a Tokyo symphony and has to move back to his hometown with his wife. He starts looking for work and comes across an add that he thinks is some kind of travel agent thanks to a misprint. I suppose you could call it kind of a travel agent but nobody is looking forward to this vacation. It's actually a job for encasking (?), I think that's what they called it. People who prepare the dead for their next journey. It's quite the ceremony. Well, the Boss hires him on the spot. So we follow Daigo around as he learns his new job, catches up with old acquaintances and everything that comes with it.

I thought this was going to be a light comedy and it certainly, kind of, started off that way but it turns into something else completely and I was not ready for it. I don't know if it was the mood I was in or what but this was the right movie, at the right time, for me. I don't have any complaints at all. I usually don't get misty from movies but there's a moment that got to me. It's a scene where Daigo performs the ceremony on a lady he knew. In this scene everything kind of becomes clear and comes together for him. This scene was set up perfectly, earlier in the film, through interactions with Daigo's wife and a childhood friend and really delivers in a kind of happy/sad moment.

There's more going on with the story than just that. Daigo is also dealing with some personal issues about abandonment and a few other things (he is married after all) and it's all handled seamlessly. Nothing feels out of place or rushed or overstays it's welcome and it may be the best written movie I've seen in quite a while. The cast is great. There isn't a wasted character and they all feel genuine. I really liked the Boss - a man of few words and very perceptive. Right away he see's something in Daigo and knows this, this job, is what Daigo needs to be doing.

One final thought. Thanks for making Daigo a cellist and not a trumpeter or tromboner or French Horner (no offense to any of you brass sectioners). I'm a fan of string instruments and the sound of the cello is perfect for this story. This was absolutely fantastic.

Quick catch up on a few movies:

Raw - I just watched this about a week ago and thought it was okay. Certainly delivered on the body horror. GF started gagging during the hair scene and walked out so that was fun. Wish she had hung around for the rooftop scene. I had a few questions about that just to needle her a little.

Annihilation - Was not a fan of this.

American History X - This is good. I didn't care for it the first time I watched it but that probably had more to do with me not liking Ed Norton (Salma? How did that happen?) than the movie. It was better the second time around but I don't see any reason to see it again. The curb stomp always gets the "most memorable scene" title from this and rightfully so but the basketball scene always sticks with me because it doesn't look like Norton ever held a basketball until the day they shot that scene

The Exorcist - This is top five all time for me and I don't think of it as a horror film. I don't know why I don't consider it horror it just feels more psychological/thriller than horror. Maybe it's because I have a hard time picturing a horror film being this good.

Night and Fog - Another one I just watched. Like Frightened Inmate mentioned, how do you rate something like this? Very powerful. Some of the images are likely to stick with you forever.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Had a few things I was concerned with so went to the Dr yesterday. Gave me 4 prescriptions and a blood test. He called me at the end of the day and said I need to go to the ER. My D-Dimer level was over 3000 and normal level is 50. ER Dr thought I had either blood clots or cancer. Got EKG, ultrasound, X-Ray, and Cat-Scan. Everything fine. Today a little swelling left in feet but can walk perfect and feel perfect. Like what the hell.

I'm sure that was a very stressful day, but I'm glad that you're okay.

Maybe this cute picture will make you feel better:

The trick is not minding
City Lights

A front runner has emerged.

Chaplin’s City Lights is a delightful film, filled with many gags punctuated with some sweet moments and some rather tragic moments as well. I laughed several times, especially the beginning scene with the statue being unveiled, and the boxing match. His talent were on full display, as usual. What made this even more amazing was it had been made during the advent of the sound era.

The fact that Chaplin refused to film this in sound (although it does have sound effects, such as the whistle he inadvertently swallowed), all dialogue was presented in inter titles. He didn’t believe the “talkies” would survive. Perhaps he was really just paranoid at how well The Tramp would transfer over to the “talkies”.

At its heart, there’s a sweet romance here, an innocent one where he just wants to help the girl, played by Virginia Cherrill, in a fragile, yet confident performance. She easily convinced us of her blindness. He doesn’t see her as a conquest or some charity case. He legitimately adores her.

But this all Chaplin’s film, so he is the focus of the film, and rightly so. He makes every scene work, with his little gestures, and his facial expressions.

Great film, one that will difficult to top.

I forgot the opening line.
Looking back over everything and catching up :

American History X - It's been a while since I last saw this, but I remember it being pretty solid. I'd say 7/10 stuff, and I guess it's worth seeing again. I've got it in my DVD collection along with American Gangster, American Gigolo, American Graffiti, American Hustle, American Mary, American Psycho, American Sniper, American Beauty...

The Exorcist - A real classic, and a film I've enjoyed multiple times. I'm much in preference of the original cut, which shouldn't have been messed around with. If you're interested in it's sequel (one of the worst films of all time), Exorcist II : The Heretic, then by all means purchase yourself a copy of "Horrible and Fascinating – John Boorman's Exorcist II: The Heretic" by Declan Neil Fernandez - a great read, which you'll never forget!

The Edge of Seventeen - I saw this for the first time sometime in the last 18 months I think - another solid film that ranges around my 7/10 rating mark - funny and sweet, with the super fantastic Hailee Steinfeld.

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling I watched Departures a long time ago.

City Lights is my favourite Charlie Chaplin film - possibly because of the many varied elements that get folded into the narrative. It's so much more than just pratfalls and slapstick, and this blending of drama and pathos into the comedy makes for something special. Probably revolutionary for it's day.

Stay well cricket!

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Five Easy Pieces

Jack plays Bobby, a guy trying to find his place in the world. The film starts off showing Bobby working a very rough job, living a very ordinary life with his girlfriend and hanging out with his "buddy". We get the sense early that Bobby, he's not a good guy. He's a prick to his girlfriend, thinks little of his friend and once he hears word about his father being sick (his gf's pregnancy may have had an influence as well) he see's it as a chance to split. A lesser of two evils. There's a pretty good moment, right before Bobby takes off, where he announces to his boss that he's quitting, he's gonna stick it to the boss kind of moment, only for the boss to pretty much say "Good. Glad to be rid of ya." Bobby looks dumbfounded at the boss' reply as if to say "What? Me? Seriously?" And that's the thing with Bobby. He thinks he's more important than he is.

The movie then continues with a small road trip up to his fathers place. Bobby reluctantly brings his GF and picks up a couple of filthy hitchhikers along they way who are consumed by consumerism. This is the part of the film that leads to the iconic diner scene. A scene, I'm happy to say, that lives up to the hype.

Bobby finally arrives at his fathers home - alone. He leaves his gf at a motel because he's a dick and it would be embarrassing showing up with a woman who is not quite up to his standards. Also, by this time we know that Bobby is a fantastic musician, he used to play in Vegas, which leads to another pretty good scene where the fiance of Bobby's brother asks him to play her something on the piano, which he does. To her, that piece and him playing it means something. To him - nothing. "It was the easiest piece I could think of." A few more things happen and the movie ends the only way it could.

I can see why this movie is well regarded. It's a 70's movie to the core. Like many of the era, it's about a seriously flawed character. It's very well acted, Jack is great and Karen Black who plays his gf is really good as well. I love the cinematography and the locations they filmed especially the first 2/3 of the film. This is one of the big movies of the 70's that I felt I needed to see. Was a big blind spot for such a long time so I'm glad to have finally been urged to watch it.