Moviefan1988's Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

Introduction

I was going to do an updated list of my 100 favorite movies but have decided to make a thread that shares all my favorites even the ones that didn't make the 100 favorite movies list.

Every movie entry will get a review, quote and some detailed info about the movie.
The movies that are part of a series or trilogy will be put together in one post instead of just making a separate post for them.

I’ll be numbering each entry to just keep up on how many movies I have added so far, so there is no ranking.

Remember this list is not about the best films that the whole world loves, it’s about movies that I have enjoyed throughout the years of watching movies. So, sit back and enjoy checking out the thread.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

#1. Clueless (1995)
Director: Amy Heckerling
Writer: Amy Heckerling
Stars: Alicia Silverstone, Stacey Dash, Brittany Murphy, Paul Rudd, Donald Faison, Elisa Donovan, Breckin Meyer, Jeremy Sisto, Mel Horowitz, Justin Walker
Genre: Comedy and Romance
Runtime: 1 Hour and 37 Minutes
Rated PG-13
Filming Location: Los Angeles, CA
Distributed by: Paramount Pictures
Release Date: July 19 1995
Did it make the original 100 favorite movies list? Yes

As a fan of teenage high school movies, I found this film fun to watch. You got Alicia Silverstone playing this cute spoiled rich teen high schooler named Cher. The rest of the cast in the movie did well also.

"As If" - Cher played by Alicia Silverstone

#2. Scream (1996)
Director: Wes Craven
Writer: Kevin Williamson
Stars: Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, David Arquette, Skeet Ulrich, Matthew Lillard, Jamie Kennedy, Rose McGowan, Drew Barrymore
Genre: Horror and Mystery
Runtime: 1 Hour and 51 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Glen Ellen, Santa Rosa, Healdsburg, Sonoma and Tomales, CA
Distributed by: Dimension Films
Release Date: December 20 1996

I love how this movie gives the other horror slasher movies a slap on the side of the head for being dumb and showing us on how it should be done when surviving a horror movie but making some silly mistakes along the way. A thrilling and enjoyable movie to watch

"Never say you'll be right back, because you won't be right back" Randy Meeks played by Jamie Kennedy

#3. Scream 2 (1997)
Writers: Kevin Williamson (characters)
Stars: Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, David Arquette, Jamie Kennedy, Liev Schreiber, Timothy Olyphant, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jerry O’Connell
Runtime: 2 Hours
Rated R
Film Locations: Decatur and Atlanta, GA, Los Angeles, CA
Release Date: December 12 1997
Did it make the original 100 favorite movies list? No

A good and fun sequel, the scream movies don't seem to disappoint as their enjoyable movies to watch. It must suck for Sidney to move on and to think that the Woodsboro murders are over but now having to go through all of it once again, since there is a new killer on the hunt to kill Sidney and whoever gets in the way.

"There are certain rules that one must abide by in order to create a successful sequel. Number one: the body count is always bigger. Number two: the death scenes are always much more elaborate - more blood, more gore - *carnage candy*. And number three: never, ever, under any circumstances, assume the killer is dead." - Randy Meeks played by Jamie Kennedy

#4. Scream 3 (2000)
Writers: Kevin Williamson(characters) and Ehren Kruger
Stars: David Arquette, Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, Liev Schreiber, Scott Foley
Runtime: 1 hour and 56 Minutes
Rated R
Film Location: Los Angeles, CA
Release Date: February 4 2000

A fun and enjoyable entry to the franchise. not as good as the first two movies, but it's still a nice watch.

"Ghosts are tough, you can’t shoot ghosts." Sidney Prescott played by Neve Campbell

#5. Scream 4 (2011)
Writer: Kevin Williamson(characters)
Stars: David Arquette, Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, Emma Roberts, Hayden Panettiere, Marley Shelton, Rory Culkin
Genre: Comedy, Horror and Mystery
Runtime: 1 hour and 51 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Northville, Ann Arbor, Dearborn, Plymouth, Detroit, MI. Healdsburg, CA
Release Date: April 15 2011

Imo, the best sequel in the series and the beginning, middle and end was all a pleasure to watch. This series seems to never disappoint me as they gives more bumps on other horror movies because how lame that can be sometimes.

"You forgot the one rule of a remake, Don't f*ck with the original." Sidney Prescott played by Neve Campbell

The new scream movie was good, I wouldn't consider it as my favorite in the series and more of an honorable mention

#6. Scarface (1983)
Director: Brian De Palma
Writer: Oliver Stone (screenplay by)
Stars: Al Pacino, Michelle Pfeiffer, Steven Bauer, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Robert Loggia
Genre: Crime and Drama
Runtime: 2 Hours and 50 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, CA, Miami Beach, FL and New York City, NY
Distributed by: Universal Pictures
Release Date: December 9 1983

You get the Money, Power, Women and then you get f*cked over by other drug dealers if not careful while dealing while with drugs. This was a great brutal and violent gangster movie from the 80's and Al's performance as Tony Montana was brilliant in this film, as he plays this fearless dangerous and powerful criminal trying to work his way up the drug empire.

*You wanna f*ck with me? Okay. You wanna play rough? Okay. Say hello to my little friend!" - Tony Montana played by Al Pacino

lol one of the best scenes in the movie

#7. Taxi Driver (1976)
Director: Martin Scorsese
Writer: Paul Schrader
Stars: Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster, Cybill Shepherd, Peter Boyle, Albert Brooks
Genre: Crime and Drama
Runtime: 1 Hour and 54 Minutes
Rated R
Film Location: New York City, NY
Distributed by: Columbia Pictures
Release Date: February 9 1976

A good dark and gritty film by Martin Scorsese and wonderful movie performance by Robert De Niro. I like how he narrates the movie as he tells us about his character that is this mentally unstable man that suffers from loneliness and isolation and seeing a society full of scum while working as an night-time taxi driver in New York City. Good thing I never lived in NYC in the 70's it looks sad and depressing for sure.

"Loneliness has followed me my whole life, everywhere. In bars, in cars, sidewalks, stores, everywhere. There's no escape. I'm God's lonely man." - Travis Bickle played by Robert De Niro

Yeah, I've always felt that Scarface has gotten a worse rap than it deserves, due to rapper/movie bro portion of its fanbase who completely miss the point of the movie, and somehow come away from it thinking that Tony is some sort of badass, "alpha male" role model, instead of an obnoxious hothead who caused his own downfall.

Yeah, I've always felt that Scarface has gotten a worse rap than it deserves, due to rapper/movie bro portion of its fanbase who completely miss the point of the movie, and somehow come away from it thinking that Tony is some sort of badass, "alpha male" role model, instead of an obnoxious hothead who caused his own downfall.
Agreed, them rappers be like since there's a movie named Scarface that has this badass dude in it and then say I'm Scarface now lol, very annoying. There's a reason why it's called Scarface because Tony has a scar on his face.

#8. Tropic Thunder (2007)
Director: Ben Stiller
Writers: Justin Theroux(screenplay), Ben Stiller(screenplay), Etan Cohen(screenplay)
Stars: Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Robert Downey Jr., Jay Baruchel, Brandon T. Jackson, Matthew McConaughey, Tom Cruise, Bill Hadar, Nick Nolte, Danny McBride and Steve Coogan
Genre: Action, Comedy and War
Runtime: 1 Hour and 47 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Los Angeles, CA and Kaua'i, Hawaii,
Release Date: August 15 2008

This was a fun humorous comedy war movie and like how they think there still shooting a movie but really are heading into real danger territory. Tom Cruise was funny in this movie as well, it was sort of hard to recognize him without hair and glasses and beard on when I first saw the film.

“I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!” – Kirk Lazarus played by Robert Downey Jr.

#9. Wedding Crashers (2005)
Director: David Dobkin
Writers: Steve Faber and Bob Fisher
Stars: Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn, Rachel McAdams, Bradley Cooper, Christopher Walken, Isla Fisher, Jane Seymour, Will Ferrell
Genre: Comedy and Romance
Runtime: 1 Hour and 59 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: St. Michaels and Assateague Island, MD, Washington DC, Los Angeles, CA
Distributed by: New Line Cinema
Release Date: July 15 2005

Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson did a good job in this film, making the movie enjoyable to watch as they commit these humorous and immature acts while messing around during weddings. Imagine doing this kind of cruel behavior in real life, I would never attempt to crash any wedding.

"You know how they say we only use 10 percent of our brains? I think we only use 10 percent of our hearts." – John Beckwith played by Owen Wilson

How the way Will Ferrell screams out, f**k lol

#10. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
Director: Joseph Zito
Writers: Victor Miller (based upon characters created by) and Ron Kurz (based upon characters created by)
Stars: Kimberly Beck, Corey Feldman, Ted White, Crispin Glover, Erich Anderson
Genre: Horror and Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 31 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Topanga Canyon, Zaca Lake and Los Angeles, CA
Release Date: April 13 1984
Did it make the original 100 favorite movies list? Yes – put in as a trilogy entry

First I want to say Jason is my favorite horror movie slasher of all time and this is the series that I have watched the most in the 80's. Some people may say these movies look cheesy and bad but who cares all what matters is that I liked them. The kills in this movie were great with a cool ending as well and It was also nice to see Crispin Glover in this movie.

“Hey, Ted, where's... where's that, uh, that corkscrew? That fancy corkscrew for the wine bottle? Ted? Hey! Ted! Ted! Hey, Ted, where the hell is the corkscrew?” – Jimmy played by Crispen Glover

#11. Friday the 13th: Jason Lives (1986)
Director: Tom McLoughlin
Writers: Tom McLoughlin, Sean S. Cunningham(characters), Victor Miller(characters)
Stars: Thom Mathews, Jennifer Cooke, David Kagen, CJ Graham
Genre: Horror and Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 26 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Rutledge, Madison, Starrsville and Covington, GA
Release Date: August 1 1986
Did it make the original 100 favorite movies list? Yes – put in as a trilogy entry

One of my favorites in the series and a great guilty pleasure of a movie to watch. Good kills and seeing Jason as some unstoppable zombie killing machine was cool to see also.

“I've seen enough horror movies to know any weirdo wearing a mask is never friendly.” – Lizabeth played as Nancy McLoughlin

#12. Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
Director: Ronny Yu
Writers: Wes Craven(characters), Victor Miller(characters), Damian Shannon
Stars: Robert Englund, Ken Kirzinger, Kelly Rowland, Monica Keena, Jason Ritter
Genre: Action and Horror
Rated R
Film Locations: British Columbia and Ontario Canada
Release Date: August 15 2003

I found this movie entertaining to watch as two iconic slashers battle each other to the death. Jason is my favorite horror slasher, I don’t mind Freddy but I find him a joke and it’s fun to see him get his ass kicked.

“Welcome to my nightmare.” – Freddy Krueger played by Robert Englund

#13. Friday the 13th Remake (2009)
Director: Marcus Nispel
Writers: Victor Miller(based on characters created by), Damian Shannon(story by), Mark Swift(story by)
Stars: Jared Padalecki, Amanda Righetti, Derek Mears, Danielle Panabaker, Travis Van Winkle
Genre: Horror, Mystery and Thriller
Rated R
Film Locations: Bastrop, Marshall, Round Rock, Wimberley and Austin TX
Release Date: February 13 2009

As a fan of the films, I liked the remake over the original and atleast in this one we get to see Jason as the killer this time. I thought the actor that played Jason did well, giving us the Jason that we all want to see as this deadly killing machine that can’t be dealt with.

"Kill for mother.” – Pamela Voorhees played by Nana Visitor[/quote]

All the other Friday the 13th movies are more like honorable mentions except for Part 9, that movie sucks ass.

#14. Freaky (2020)
Director: Christopher Landon
Writers: Michael Kennedy and Christopher Landon
Stars: Vince Vaughn, Kathryn Newton, Celeste O'Connor, Misha Osherovich
Genre: Comedy, Horror and Thriller
Runtime: 1 hour and 42 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Alpharetta, Covington, Duluth, GA
Release Date: November 13 2020

A pretty good movie about a young girl in high school swaps bodies with a deranged serial killer and must get her body switched back in 24 hours before the change becomes permanent. I thought Vince Vaughn did an good job in the movie.

"Great. Leave me alone with murder Barbie.” - Josh Detmer played as Misha Osherovich

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

#14. Freaky (2020)
Director: Christopher Landon
Writers: Michael Kennedy, Christopher Landon
Stars: Vince Vaughn, Kathryn Newton, Celeste O'Connor, Misha Osherovich
Genre: Comedy, Horror and Thriller
Runtime: 1 hour and 42 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Alpharetta, Covington, Duluth, GA
Release Date: November 13 2020

A pretty good movie about a young girl in high school swaps bodies with a deranged serial killer and must get her body switched back in 24 hours before the change becomes permanent. I thought Vince Vaughn did an good job in the movie.

"Great. Leave me alone with murder Barbie.” - Josh Detmer played as Misha Osherovich

Is Freaky a gory movie? It was in a box of DVDs that I bought at a garage sale a while back, but I haven't watched it because I don't like gory horror movies.

Is Freaky a gory movie? It was in a box of DVDs that I bought at a garage sale a while back, but I haven't watched it because I don't like gory horror movies.
It's not too bad, if your a fan of slasher films, chances are that you will like it. Give it a try and let me know what you think of it

#15. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
Director: Amy Heckerling
Writer: Cameron Crowe(screenplay)
Stars: Sean Penn, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Judge Reinhold, Brian Backer, Robert Romanus, Phoebe Cates
Genre: Comedy and Drama
Runtime: 1 Hour and 30 Minutes
Rated R
Film Location: Los Angeles, CA
Release Date: August 13 1982

What an exciting 80's high school movie with some laughs here and there. I like how the movie shows you what these teens go through in and outside of high school. The characters in the movie were enjoyable especially Jeff Spicoli, Sean Penn's stoner character as some of his lines were oddly funny.

"Hey bud, let's party!"- Jeff Spicoli played by Sean Penn

]

#16. 21 Jump Street (2012)
Directors: Phil Lord and Christopher Miller
Writers: Michael Bacall(screenplay), Jonah Hill(story), Patrick Hasburgh(television series)
Stars: Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, Ice Cube, Rob Riggle, Dave Franco, Delray Davis
Runtime: 1 Hour and 49 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Jefferson, Metairie, Kenner, River Ridge, Harvey and New Orleans, LA
Release Date: March 16 2012

A fun high school buddy cop movie about two knuckle headed cops (Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill) going undercover at high school to bring down this synthetic drug ring and while there's a few laughs here in, they have their boss filled with f bombs that plays as Ice Cube looking over their shoulder to make sure they get the job down or they get kicked out of 21 jump street.

“If any of my officers are caught giving alcohol to minors, they’ll find themselves in prison with a snorkel duct taped to their mouth, and me shitting down that snorkel!” - Captain Dickson played by Ice Cube

#17. 22 Jump Street (2014)
Directors: Phil Lord and Christopher Miller
Writers: Michael Bacall(screenplay), Oren Uziel(screenplay), Rodney Rothman(screenplay)
Stars: Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, Ice Cube, Amber Stevens West, Wyatt Russell
Runtime: 1 Hour and 52 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Baton Rouge, Metairie and New Orleans, LA. San Jaun, PR
Release Date: June 13 2014

The two knuckle headed cops are at it again but this time going to college and working undercover. This film was funny and entertaining.

"We Jump Street, and we 'bout to jump in yo ass." - Captain Dickson played by Ice Cube

LOL, funny scene

It's not too bad, if your a fan of slasher films, chances are that you will like it. Give it a try and let me know what you think of it

The problem is that I'm not a fan of slasher movies. I like Vince Vaughn, and this sounded like a fun twist on the "Freaky Friday" type of movies, but if it's gory, I probably won't like it. I was hoping that maybe it was more comedy and less horror.

The problem is that I'm not a fan of slasher movies. I like Vince Vaughn, and this sounded like a fun twist on the "Freaky Friday" type of movies, but if it's gory, I probably won't like it. I was hoping that maybe it was more comedy and less horror.
The movie doesn't really take itself seriously like most horror movies do which I like there is horror with a mixture of comedy element in it as well

#18. The Warriors (1979)
Director: Walter Hill
Writers: Sol Yurick(based on the novel by), David Shaber(screenplay by), Walter Hill(screenplay by)
Stars: Michael Beck, James Remar, Brian Tyler, Deborah Van Valkenburgh, Roger Hill, David Patrick Kelly, Dorsey Wright, David Harris, Tom McKitterick, Marcelino Sánchez, Terry Michos
Genre: Action, Crime and Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 33 Minutes
Rated R
Film Location: New York City, NY
Release Date: February 9 1979

I found this a fun film to watch and loved the movie's plot as well. The characters, atmosphere and soundtrack were great. The music played when the Warriors are getting chased all over NYC was intense, it makes you wonder if they will survive the night against the gangs that they run into while trying to get back to their home base which is Coney Island.

"Warriors, Come out to play-i-ay" - Luther played by David Patrick Kelly

In The City by Joe Walsh - A nice song that ends the film

#19. Carrie (1976)
Director: Brian De Palma
Writers: Stephen King(novel) and Lawrence D. Cohen(screenplay)
Stars: Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, William Katt, John Travolta, Nancy Allen, Betty Buckley, P.J. Soles
Runtime: 1 Hour and 38 Minutes
Rated R
Film Locations: Santa Paula and Los Angeles, CA
Distributed by: United Artists
Release Date: November 16 1976

A cool horror tale about a young high school student being tormented by bullies in her school and after this prank goes wrong at prom, those bullies are going wish that they never messed with Carrie White ever again.

This is pretty much the only movie that I liked from Stephen King, the rest of his movies I didn't care for really.

"They're all gonna laugh at you." - Margaret White played by Piper Laurie

The two Carrie remakes were decent and I would consider them as honorable mentions

The movie doesn't really take itself seriously like most horror movies do which I like there is horror with a mixture of comedy element in it as well

Maybe I'll give it a chance after I finish watching movies for the 2010s countdown.