A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

You don't remember the scenes in Halloween where Michael Myers chainsaws some poor sucker's head off, fires a gun with a laser sight and then helicopters into Laurie Strode's house?

You don't remember the scenes in Halloween where Michael Myers chainsaws some poor sucker's head off, fires a gun with a laser sight and then helicopters into Laurie Strode's house?
Sorry, should have used spoiler tags.

Victim of The Night
Can we stop watching Horror movies for the rest of the year now, then?
I know I am.

Did I, at any time, understand what was happening during Spookies? No.

Was the cast "good" at "acting"? No.

Did I like any of the non-monster characters? No.

Do I secretly wish I had Duke's sartorial self-confidence? Yes.

Was there a crap-ton of decent-to-awesome monster designs? Yes.

Do some of the monsters fart when they walk? Yes.

Was there a terrific zombie chase scene? Yes.

An evening well spent, as far as I'm concerned.

Chainsaws some poor sucker dressed up as Michael Myers but wielding an axe.

That gun with a laser sight is nearly like an optical illusion. There's another, pistol sized barrel below the sniper barrel, and it's shooting a mini-missile.

I saw Spookies years ago and it was 4 am. I can't remember much about it other than there was a wide assortment of monsters in it.

But then what are you watching for Christmas?

I've got Black Christmas and Gremlins on tap as a rewatch.
And I want to give that semi-recent Krampus movie a go. Maybe finally watch Christmas Evil.

I saw Spookies years ago and it was 4 am. I can't remember much about it other than there was a wide assortment of monsters in it.
I sincerely was impressed with the number and variety of creature designs. Some were cheesier than others but I thought there was a high level of creativity involved for the most part. If the half-hearted attempt at plot was just an excuse to get all of these things on screen, so be it.

The only horror movie I specifically make time for around Christmas is Black Christmas, but I usually have eased back to watching horror by December after taking a bit of a break during November.

My most favourite horror movie was conjuring 1 it was most favourite movie. And a line in that movie" Shall we play hide and seek " is my favourite line .

Victim of The Night
But then what are you watching for Christmas?

I've got Black Christmas and Gremlins on tap as a rewatch.
And I want to give that semi-recent Krampus movie a go. Maybe finally watch Christmas Evil.
I go full-on classic Christmas for that time of year, embracing that season's spirit almost as deeply as I do Halloween. Even though I'm an atheist.
There will be angels and blackface. Gonna be a helluva month.

Smile is outstanding. There's not an original bone in its body and you've seen every part of it everywhere else, but it still manages to be great.

The Howling
(Dante, 1981)

Fun and varied werewolf movie with a whole lot of talking and switching between moods and scenery. Very enjoyable but I'm also conflicted about it. It starts out with a quite serious tone and suddenly turns goofy. That change of mood repeats throughout the movie, whenever a beast appears and attack it's goofy time. I'm fine about some of the characters being goofballs, but I prefer my werewolves to be terrifying creatures. One transformation scene in particular was ridiculous, the person turns into a werewolf during what feels like 2 minutes (with probably state of the art effects back then) and once done, the damsel in distress quickly tosses some acid on the creature and runs away, success! Laughed out loud at that one. Best parts of the movie was the first and the last 15 minutes. I also really loved the shots of the misty forest, as well as the whole beach scene. I liked this alot and it will for sure warrant a rewatch, but I don't see it becoming one of my absolute favorites like An American Werewolf in London and Dog Soldiers.

The trick is not minding
Halloween Ends

I’m going to have to agree with MKS here and say this was actually pretty good.

I was actually quite surprised by how much I liked it.

Halloween Ends

I’m going to have to agree with MKS here and say this was actually pretty good.

I was actually quite surprised by how much I liked it.
This. This is how it starts.

The trick is not minding
This. This is how it starts.
Yeah man. I liked how different it was. It dared to go against the grain. It did what Zombie started, and delved deeper into the psychosis of what makes one evil. It didn’t feel like it was trying to ape the original, merely stand beside it on its own terms, while acknowledging its predecessor.

Yeah man. I liked how different it was. It dared to go against the grain. It did what Zombie started, and delved deeper into the psychosis of what makes one evil. It didn’t feel like it was trying to ape the original, merely stand beside it on its own terms, while acknowledging its predecessor.
Absolutely. I have issues with the dialogue and editing (it feels like a much longer film cut down to fit a studio quota) but in the grand scheme of slasher films, let alone a 40 years later franchise entry, it’s hard for me to let that outweigh all the ambition and legit quality.