Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

DAWN OF THE DEAD
(1978, Romero)

"One-stop shopping: everything you need, right at your fingertips."

Dawn of the Dead follows four survivors that take refuge from the zombie hordes in a shopping mall. After fending off the scattered zombie groups, they settle in a storage room on the upper floors. But as time passes, they start to fall victim to the comforts of their situation and take them for granted.

This is definitely not the first time I've seen this, but it's another one I hadn't seen in several years. It's really interesting to see the direction that Romero takes this sequel; now more satirical, and with the social commentary angle elevated quite a bit; but it works quite well. The jabs it takes against consumerism and how we are absorbed by routines is pretty on point, especially for the 1970s.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Force Majeure (2014)

+

A couple and their two children are on a ski vacation in the beautiful French Alps. When an apparent avalanche comes rambling towards them, the wife grabs the kids while the husband runs off in fear. The rest of the movie deals with the complications this causes in the marriage. It's a simple yet interesting concept and I think they do about all they can with it. The beautiful scenery doesn't hurt. I think it's supposed to be part comedy but I totally missed that part of it.

THE WOLF OF SNOW HOLLOW
(2020, Cummings)

"This is the job. And it sucks. Often! But you're gonna lose a lot more than that if you don't start focusing on the important stuff. You wanna be sheriff? How about we start acting like one?"

Every job comes with a significant amount of pressure. Whether it is because of the nature of the job or the expectations put on us by being, for example, the son of the local sheriff. But what about both? That is the situation of John Marshall (Jim Cummings), a deputy sheriff in Snow Hollow, Utah, who's struggling to follow the footsteps of his aging father, Sheriff Hadley (Robert Forster) while investigating a series of gruesome murders that might be the result of a wolf... or werewolf?

Directed, written, and acted by Cummings, The Wolf of Snow Hollow is an interesting and enjoyable blend of horror, dark comedy, and police/crime thriller. Like with Thunder Road, Cummings finds a neat way to balance the serious with the humor in a way that I've seen few do so well. He is also helped by a pretty good performance from Riki Lindhome as a fellow officer that tries to help John keep his wits, and gives him the above advice.

Grade:

BRIDE OF THE MONSTER
(1955, Wood)

"One is always considered *mad* if one discovers something that others cannot grasp!"

Bride of the Monster follows Dr. Eric Vornoff (Bela Lugosi), a "mad" scientist that is determined to complete an experiment that will result in a race of "atomic supermen" to conquer the world. Directed and co-written by Ed Wood, it is the most expensive film the made (at $70,000) and arguably his second most well-known one.

Films directed by Ed Wood come now with a certain baggage. Mostly known for his work in horror and sci-fi, he is more popular for how "mediocre" and "incompetent" his films are than for anything else. So with that perspective in mind, I can say I found this to be not so terrible. Campy and schlocky? Yes, but still a nice slice of fun.

Grade:

All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

One of my favourite books (although quite disturbing). It's been adapted a few times for film and this did OK but didn't have the contrast of the time away from the frontline depicted in the book with family. That was made up with down-time with comerades. Tragic story but well told, hard to fit it all into a film.

THE CHUCKO
(2015, Cummings)

"It's exhausting. I don't know what you're saying half the time. No one's having fun! Are you having fun? I don't even think you're having fun! So please, I'm begging you, for two seconds. Stop being such a chucko!"

What is a "chucko"? Well, that is part of what's answered in this 2015 short film from Jim Cummings. After Thunder Road and The Wolf of Snow Hollow, I've become more interested in Cummings' filmography, which started with a bunch of short films, and The Chucko is one of his first ones.

Co-written and co-directed along with Dustin Hahn, the short film follows a, uhh, lively realtor (Hahn) showing a house to a young couple (PJ McCabe and Jennifer Fink) who might or might not warm up to the realtor's styles. It is one of them who finally blows up with the above rant.

Grade:

[center]THE WOLF OF SNOW HOLLOW
(2020, Cummings)

Grade:

I watched this earlier this month and loved it. I’ll be checking out Thunder Road for sure.

I watched this earlier this month and loved it. I’ll be checking out Thunder Road for sure.
It's not necessary, but if you can, check out the original short before or after the feature. Maybe after. The short is pretty much the opening scene of the feature, but there are some little, subtle differences that I appreciated after comparing both.

Victim of The Night
I LOVE Let's Scare Jessica to Death. For me it's a perfect mix of horror and psychological thriller.

One of my favorite moments is really early on: she sees a person at the top of a stairwell and doesn't call for help because she's not sure she's really seeing someone. When her boyfriend comes over, the first thing he says is something like "I see them too", because he immediately realizes what she's afraid of.
I am also a fan and yes, it's because of smart details like that.

IT'S ALL RIGHT, IT'S OK
(2017, Cummings)

"Can't even be a good guy for five seconds..."

A girl drowns on a pool, and is pulled out of the water; no breathing, but it's all right, it's ok. There are good guys around us when you least expect, from where you least expect. That is the premise of this other short film from Jim Cummings short film.

With a runtime of almost 3 minutes, It's All Right, It's OK throws us right into the middle of the above situation as a "guardian angel" (Joseph Lee Anderson) tries to save the girl. It's a true beauty to see how Cummings uses clever direction to reveal everything that is happening, making the story more complex, interesting, and of course, funny every second.

Grade:

The Beta Test is also quite good. More ambitious and deftly made, albeit with a sloppier narrative than either.

The Beta Test is also quite good. More ambitious and deftly made, albeit with a sloppier narrative than either.
I will try to knock that one out soon.

IT'S ALL RIGHT, IT'S OK
(2017, Cummings)

A girl drowns on a pool, and is pulled out of the water; no breathing, but it's all right, it's ok. There are good guys around us when you least expect, from where you least expect. That is the premise of this other short film from Jim Cummings short film.

With a runtime of almost 3 minutes, It's All Right, It's OK throws us right into the middle of the above situation as a "guardian angel" (Joseph Lee Anderson) tries to save the girl. It's a true beauty to see how Cummings uses clever direction to reveal everything that is happening, making the story more complex, interesting, and of course, funny every second.

Grade:

I just watched this one (because as you note, it's 3 minutes long). I quite enjoyed it! I think that people who strive to do the right thing but also often end up doing the wrong thing is kind of Cummings' strong suit. I thought that Anderson was very good as the lead.

Inside Llewyn Davis, 2013

Llewyn Davis (Oscar Isaac) is a folk singer in the late 50s/early 60s, still emotionally reeling and numb from the suicide death of his musical partner. Effectively homeless, Llewyn crashes on various couches, including that of his friends Jim (Justin Timberlake) and Jean (Carey Mulligan). Llewyn tries to find an in with the bigger music industry, but also considers throwing in his music career and going back to work as a merchant marine.

I'm working my way through the list of films that people suggested to me leading into the 2010s countdown. This one had several mentions, so I decided to start with it.

Overall I thought that this was a very solid film, anchored by a strong central performance from Isaac that helps the film navigate a range of emotional beats and tones.

The general mode of the film leans more to the dramatic, but with strong threads of comedy woven throughout.

The theme of the drama side of the film is to do with how one can get along when someone intrinsic to our existence isn't there anymore. Llewyn is trying to make it as an independent artist, but what we see through the entire film is not only a lack on independence, but an abrasive manner towards others, including those who are trying to help him.

Maybe the most interesting dynamic on this front is between Llewyn and Jean, with whom he's had a sexual affair. In almost all of their early scenes, Jean seems overly harsh towards Llewyn, putting the blame for their sex. It seems pretty clear, though, that this anger comes from both her anger at herself and also possibly her sorrow at the loss of their friend. In one of the final scenes, we learn that Jean has arranged things so that Llewyn can perform at a local venue. For all the times she calls him a loser and implies he's only capable of destruction, she believes in him and his talent and does care for him.

On the comedy side of things, there's a constant wryness to Llewyn's manner. There are also some belly laugh moments courtesy of some of the supporting characters. There's Adam Driver as a backup singer playing with Llewyn and Jim on a studio recording ("OUTER . . . . SPACE!"). There's friend Lillian (Robin Bartlett), who berates Llewyn for bringing them back a cat that isn't theirs. "Where's the scrotum, Llewyn? WHERE'S THE SCROTUM?!".

On the supporting character front, you've also got John Goodman and Garrett Hedlund as the world's worst road trip companions. F. Murray Abraham also shows up late in the game as a producer Llewyn is hoping to impress.

Visually, the film is very washed out, which matches the flat emotions of Llewyn's character. I liked this look well enough, though by the end I was desperate for a bit more color. (Yeah, I'm aware that you can't just "put a pop of color" into depression).

While I really liked the film--including the recurring motif of the orange cat--it didn't quite cohere for me entirely. I can't put my finger on why. I really loved the performances (maybe aside from Timberlake, who is just too much Justin Timberlake for him to blend into a fictional character, regardless of how well he's acting). I thought that the look at someone trying to navigate an identity-challenging grief was really interesting. I loved the soundtrack, many of which are songs I've played growing up.

STRINGS
(2013, Solís)

"I'm going to leave him here. I know this isn't the best place for him, but we are overflowing. As soon as we can, we will take him to a more suitable place for his condition."

Cuerdas follows the friendship developed between Nico and María (Miriam Martín). The latter takes a liking to the kid and insists in "playing" with him, despite his condition; something that her friends see as "weird". But María doesn't care, and continues playing the rope, soccer, and other games with Nico. Maybe because she wants to make him feel welcome, or maybe because that's just the way she is.

I put this short film to the kids the other night not really knowing what it was about, and surprise, surprise! Guess who ended up crying for about half an hour afterwards? *points finger at myself* What pulled harder at the strings of my heart was the fact that the story was based on director Pedro Solís' family and two children, which just adds an extra layer to this poignant story about friendship.

Grade:

I forgot the opening line.

By The poster art can or could be obtained from Fox Searchlight Pictures., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4314096

Super Troopers - (2001)

Jay Chandrasekhar's breakthrough film about a group of super-likeable state troopers that are struggling to justify their station not being shut down is pretty funny. I think I'd seen it before, but nonetheless it was both amusing and fun to watch. There's humour that's both in-world and not as their whole modus operandi involves them pulling pranks on each other and living up to dares they put forth to their partners. This means they're the craziest, most ineffectual state troopers out there - but as long as they're having fun, who's gonna complain? Not me. The characters are so damn loveable you'll be cheering them all the way, big time. The villains happen to be their rivals - the actual police, who they often have to one-up to justify their very existence. Not much else Chandrasekhar has done seems to come close to this - but I've heard Beerfest is fun.

7/10

By [1], Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=33740424

Let it Ride - (1989)

I've spent a long time avoiding Let it Ride, thinking it was probably just a middling comedy not worth seeing. I was wrong. It has a 27% rating at Rotten Tomatoes (that's the critic's ratings - the audience score is 75%.) I'm on the audience's side - Richard Dreyfuss single-handedly gets us to care about his Jay Trotter. Gambling addict - sure. Cynic - yeah. But you can tell he's been on the losing end of everything he's done for his entire life. We get to see his one glorious day in the sunshine, and it's fun. The light hearted comedy is matched by great acting and really good filmmaking - and the races themselves build an enormous amount of tension. This movie is a lot better than I ever had reason to believe.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Killer Klowns from Outer Space - I gotta hand it to this 1988 horror/comedy. It takes a goofy premise and stretches and manipulates it so that it covers most of it's hour and a half runtime in a surprisingly satisfactory manner. Director Stephen Chiodo and his brothers Charles and Edward wrote and also produced this. They're probably best known for their special effects work and their collective creativity obviously served them well while filming this.

It opens in familiar fashion in a small nonspecific town where the couples at a lovers lane witness an unidentified bright light speed overhead. Mike (Grant Cramer) and girlfriend Debbie (Suzanne Snyder) of course decide to check it out. There's also the requisite old guy, Farmer Gene (Royal Dano) who also has to go have a look. He finds a space age looking circus tent and it isn't long before he and his dog are the first victims of the extraterrestrials. The couple have a hard time convincing the authorities, one of which is Debbie's old boyfriend Dave Hanson (John Allen Nelson) and his hardcase fellow officer Curtis Mooney (John Vernon). The invading aliens infiltrate the town and start bagging people up as future edibles.

The Chiodos manage to effectively riff on the circus clown concept and wring out every last bit of gallows humor before the denouement. I thought the actual space clowns were uniquely sinister creations. They're still popular Halloween costumes. It's not a perfect horror flick but it still has enough gonzo moments to make you want to recommend it to friends.

80/100

Victim of The Night

Killer Klowns from Outer Space - I gotta hand it to this 1988 horror/comedy. It takes a goofy premise and stretches and manipulates it so that it covers most of it's hour and a half runtime in a surprisingly satisfactory manner. Director Stephen Chiodo and his brothers Charles and Edward wrote and also produced this. They're probably best known for their special effects work and their collective creativity obviously served them well while filming this.

It opens in familiar fashion in a small nonspecific town where the couples at a lovers lane witness an unidentified bright light speed overhead. Mike (Grant Cramer) and girlfriend Debbie (Suzanne Snyder) of course decide to check it out. There's also the requisite old guy, Farmer Gene (Royal Dano) who also has to go have a look. He finds a space age looking circus tent and it isn't long before he and his dog are the first victims of the extraterrestrials. The couple have a hard time convincing the authorities, one of which is Debbie's old boyfriend Dave Hanson (John Allen Nelson) and his hardcase fellow officer Curtis Mooney (John Vernon). The invading aliens infiltrate the town and start bagging people up as future edibles.

The Chiodos manage to effectively riff on the circus clown concept and wring out every last bit of gallows humor before the denouement. I thought the actual space clowns were uniquely sinister creations. They're still popular Halloween costumes. It's not a perfect horror flick but it still has enough gonzo moments to make you want to recommend it to friends.

80/100
The shadow-puppets.