When you just want a series to END! End dammit end!!

Tools    

So, you guessed it, Im watching the last few episodes of The Walking Dead, and they wont shut up. I cant even mock it by calling it The Talking Dead because theres a talk show called that, so Ill call it The Whining Dead.

Negan got wussified to the point of unrecognizability, frickin Judiths dialogue is more manly than his now. Everyones constant self realizations, and philosophies, This is a PG13 version of The Thin Red Line, and that movie sucked too. I just want it to end. I refuse to watch any of the spinoffs that are planned after this, and its just my pigheadedness that has kept me going to the bitter end of The Whining Dead.

I cant be alone on this opinion, and am curious what other series may have inspired the same reaction with you? LOST was getting there due to hokey overload, but never hit this level of predictable neverending mediocrity.

I gave up on The Walking Dead a few seasons back - not for any particular reason... except most of the original characters were gone and stories started to seem like rehashes of earlier stories, and the fact that they started making "sister" series which predictably would intersect with the main series. I mostly stopped because I don't like to be tied to "follow" anything on TV that I have to commit an evening to each week.

I'm most disappointed to hear about Negan - I never got to his story in the comics and he was the most interesting new character on the show - I was interested in how things would go once he was defeated and became a prisoner of the main group.

When is the last episode scheduled? I was kind of toying with the idea of just watching the last episode just to see how it ended (even though I probably wouldn't know most of the characters at this point).

I've come to a point of being much more comfortable just walking away from shows. I used to be a completist, but these days I almost get anxious about where they are going to take the characters and plots.

For example, I enjoyed the first season of The Leftovers (not great, but solid and compelling enough) and I'm going to think hard about whether or not I want to watch any more. I might just be content to leave it where it is.

For me it's almost like not watching sequels to a movie that I like. I can see each season as its own thing instead of as one big clump.

When I heard they wrapping up The Walking Dead I figured it was past time. It was showing it's age even before Andrew Lincoln left. I thought it would get better when they got a new showrunner and it showed a little improvement for like half a season. But then it went right back to being a snoozefest. But then once again I thought they would pull out all the stops for the final sprint to the finish and it's been more of the same. They're limping their way to the finale. It's kind of like the horse you had such high hopes for and it comes in dead last. You have to stand there and watch till it crosses the finish line.

It's weird though that I stopped watching Lost around the time of Penny's ship with every intention of going back and getting caught up. But that just never happened. No overriding reason or big decision on my part. It's just the way it turned out. I don't know if I'll ever finish it up.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'm still hanging on till the bitter end, too, Tongo. Mostly out of spite at this point. I can't see how this series is going to, like, wrap up completely and feel like a good, solid ending. I mean, they're STILL doing the get-to-a-new-town/situation-and-deal-with-evil-leaders crap. STILL. And somehow, HORDES of walkers still show up in huge groups just at the worst time possible. WHERE are all these hordes coming from? You'd think any survivor groups by this point would have taken care of most of them (we're talking, like, ten years post-trauma by now), and they're now diligent about people who currently die.

So, the walkers now feel like deus ex machina whenever it's needed. The show's more about personal and group politics and they just throw in a few zombie murders here and there to remind you of the show title. And, I GET IT that this is precisely what might happen after a societal collapse--rebuilding society with all its faults, all over again--but they've done that just about EVERY season now, with every encampment they've encountered. It's really old.

So how do you wrap up a series that is still doing this? Anywhere you plop our original group of "heroes" is going to leave us wondering, "Yes, but what bad thing happens NEXT?"

So, will it even feel like an ending?
And why do I even care anymore?

So, you guessed it, Im watching the last few episodes of The Walking Dead, and they wont shut up. I cant even mock it by calling it The Talking Dead because theres a talk show called that, so Ill call it The Whining Dead.

Negan got wussified to the point of unrecognizability, frickin Judiths dialogue is more manly than his now. Everyones constant self realizations, and philosophies, This is a PG13 version of The Thin Red Line, and that movie sucked too. I just want it to end. I refuse to watch any of the spinoffs that are planned after this, and its just my pigheadedness that has kept me going to the bitter end of The Whining Dead.

I cant be alone on this opinion, and am curious what other series may have inspired the same reaction with you? LOST was getting there due to hokey overload, but never hit this level of predictable neverending mediocrity.
Ha! You're right about that. I haven't watched The Walking Dead, but I'm watching two docuseries-- one about possible extraterrestrial occurrences, and another about searching for treasure on an Alaskan island. They're both dragging, and they keep going over the same material. Not only that but they recap every 30 minute segment.

Still, the tendency is to hang on and hope for the best...

Mrs America starring Cate Blanchett...as good as Blanchett was (and she's always good), this series just dragged on and on and on to the point where I couldn't finish it. I think I stopped watching around ep 4.

Ha! You're right about that. I haven't watched The Walking Dead, but I'm watching two docuseries-- one about possible extraterrestrial occurrences, and another about searching for treasure on an Alaskan island. They're both dragging, and they keep going over the same material. Not only that but they recap every 30 minute segment.

Still, the tendency is to hang on and hope for the best...
So true of today's reality docu-series (or whatever you want to call them)...

When they come back from commercial, they show you footage of what they already aired before the commercial as a sort of recap.
Before they go to the next commercial, they show you a preview of what you'll see after the commercial.

If you take all the commercials and add all the repeated material (recaps & previews) within the show itself... out of an hour-long program you end up with about 20 minutes of actual content - most of which is repeated in recaps or seen again after previews.

My parents liked The Walking Dead in the first couple seasons then they said it got stupid and they stopped watching it. I watched season 1 of Picard but it was so lame I won't watch the new season.

Lesson for the day: Stop watching if you ain't enjoying it. Boycott it's ass back to the stone age!

The only reason I started watching TWD is a guy at work loaned me several of the graphic novels (I think it was the first 3 or 4 - each collecting several issues of the comics). He just handed them to me (after I told him I wasn't really into black & white comics or horror stories) and said "You HAVE to read these!"

During the following week, I was late for work almost every day because I literally could not put the books down and had to keep reading them late into the night. My manager at the time spoke to me about my tardiness, but then I got permission from the owner of the books to pass them onto our manager as I finished them... and then (true story) she started showing up late for work and whispering to me that it was because she couldn't stop reading The Walking Dead comics almost all night long!

I won't say the show lived up to the source material, but it was pretty darn close (as far as the addictive engagement factor, and most of the casting, acting, effects & technical aspects were top notch).

I've not seen The Walking Dead myself, but you make it sound pretty darn good The only series I've watched is The Crown, which I enjoyed mostly. I just heard there's a 5th season of it so I'll be watching that.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
I used to watch Walking Dead but i stopped several seasons ago as i got bored of it. It was about the time when they met the guy with the pet Lion/Tiger that i bowed out and haven't had the inclination to watch anymore. I've seen a an episode or two of Picard and refuse to watch them vandalise the characters that we knew so well from TNG. Likewise I've seen two seasons of Discovery but refuse to watch any more of that show and am amazed it keeps getting renewed.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

So, will it even feel like an ending?
And why do I even care anymore?
From what I see on the Internet... right now, the air date for the Walking Dead finale is scheduled for November 20, 2022 (on AMC).
All I know is they've been heavily advertising the "Walking Dead Universe" featuring 3 new entries, TWD: Dead City, a Daryl Dixon one and a Rick and Michonne series. This is on top of Fear the Walking Dead, The Walking Dead: World Beyond (which I can only hope was a one off) and Tales of the Walking Dead (which had maybe one and a half passable episodes out of six). With this much invested it's likely the finale of TWD will be just like Austruck says. Kind of a half-hearted (and half assed) farewell.

I've come to a point of being much more comfortable just walking away from shows.
Even if that show is just 26 episodes long, with each ep being sub-half an hour...?

Anyway, regarding the thread topic, I'd say Dexter definitely outlived its lifespan as a good show, and it probably should've ended at least two seasons earlier than it did, if not earlier than that.

Even if that show is just 26 episodes long, with each ep being sub-half an hour...?
I need those precious half hours to watch works of art like Galaxy of Terror. (It's a movie about a crew of people in space and a buxom female character has her shirt ripped off unnecessarily and . . . hey, wait a minute.)

I don't actually wear pants.
I've lost interest in Doctor Who and Murdoch Mysteries. I used to love them, but now I can't be bothered. They've both lost their luster. Doctor Who will, of course, never end, but I'd love a conclusion to Murdoch Mysteries. Sleepy Hollow ended but I felt like season two ended the story well enough to finish the whole series so I haven't had the enthusiasm to finish the second half.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
"The Goldbergs" and "The Conners" are both series that I've been watching mostly for nostalgia reasons.

I'm not even sure why I'm still watching them, but both shows have gotten so bad that I wish they would just cancel them already.