Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

Huge fan of Aliens, and I consider it only behind Die Hard as an action film great.

I like Videodrome, but I think it's because of my long time crush for Blondie and the fact that James Woods is one of the coolest actors in history.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Diner

One of those cool hang out films that just works for whatever reason. Really enjoyed the clan of friends and the bonds that they shared. I thought the acting was pretty good and the characters were entertaining to me. I think Levinson did a good job, it wasn't the most effective story to work with but like it said it was pretty chill and laid back. Not like the film did anything extraordinary but it seemed to keep my interest for the whole runtime, much like something like American Graffiti did. I think the humor in it was pretty decent too. Glad to have seen it.

-

I feel like the minus is totally personal.

Glad you enjoyed it. I think I totally agree actually. It’s just I have been watching it for 25 years or better. I’m sure nostalgia plays a role in my love.

Still need to see Diner. I caught the first few minuets of it once when I was visiting someone and they wanted to turn the channel...Instead ended up watching something really stupid.

Still need to see Diner. I caught the first few minuets of it once when I was visiting someone and they wanted to turn the channel...Instead ended up watching something really stupid.
Mouth breathers! Am I right?

Mouth breathers! Am I right?
Wow, just the other day I was remembering that you had once mentioned 'mouth breathes'. It's such a weird word, I don't think I've ever heard that from anyone else before. I think you said it meant old people? Well anyway, that was when the wife and I were visiting her mom in Arizona. Now my wife's mom has a nice large TV, loves old movies and has TCM I've never had access to TCM so it was a real treat to kick back and watch some old classic movies, but still she didn't want to watch Diner. I think we watched part of Jurassic Park III or was it IV. So that's my story

Wow, just the other day I was remembering that you had once mentioned 'mouth breathes'. It's such a weird word, I don't think I've ever heard that from anyone else before. I think you said it meant old people? Well anyway, that was when the wife and I were visiting her mom in Arizona. Now my wife's mom has a nice large TV, loves old movies and has TCM I've never had access to TCM so it was a real treat to kick back and watch some old classic movies, but still she didn't want to watch Diner. I think we watched part of Jurassic Park III or was it IV. So that's my story
I stole that term from a podcast. It refers to someone who watches a lower class of cinema. It’s always used tongue in cheek.

The Citizen I think I know from Mofo would live on TCM. It’s great programming and they rotate very regular. Treat yourself.

I stole that term from a podcast. It refers to someone who watches a lower class of cinema. It’s always used tongue in cheek.
I learn something new everyday if I could only remember it all. It's such an usual phrase that it did stick in my head.

The Citizen I think I know from Mofo would live on TCM. It’s great programming and they rotate very regular. Treat yourself.
Believe it or not I did recently buy a Roku device and paid for a Paramount subscription just so I could watch, get ready for this....The Love Boat

I
Believe it or not I did recently buy a Roku device and paid for a Paramount subscription just so I could watch, get ready for this....The Love Boat
Is the new one a drama? I saw a couple ads and it looked like a reality show that was just cribbing the name.

I believe the new Love Boat is on CBS
Looks like it was s a reality show. I probably wasn’t interested either way, but definitely not if it’s a reality show.

That definitely makes more sense for you. I remember seeing it quite a bit as a kid. That and Fantasy Island. I don’t really have a soft spot for the old dramas though. Even stuff my friends were really into like Magnum and Knight Rider. I was more into sitcoms. Cheers, Family Ties, Cosby. Stuff like that.

Wow, just the other day I was remembering that you had once mentioned 'mouth breathes'. It's such a weird word, I don't think I've ever heard that from anyone else before. I think you said it meant old people?

A friend of mine uses it all the time as a way to say someone is a meathead or an idiot. Think of Mongo from Blazing Saddles. First time I heard him use it he was referring to a softball team we played against and said they were nothing but a bunch of ******* mouth breathers.

Well my wife is interested in the new Love Boat, which automatically means I'm interested in it
I could have used that advice like twelve years ago. You’re a little late.

A Separation (2011)

I saved one of the best for last...Actually, I didn't think I'd like this as I haven't really loved any Iranian films in the past. But I was impressed with this one. What impressed me most was just how believable the film was. I was so engrossed in it that I wasn't even aware I was reading subtitles. It felt real, like I was looking through a window into someone's life as it unraveled.

A Separation is a character driven movie where the written dialog flows naturally and is endemic to the various personalities of the characters. The characters actions match the actors demeanor and disposition. This movie is so well cast that I'd believed these are real people in a real situation.

The cinematography is grounded, always effective without trying to be fancy or self aware. Same for the editing, straight forward and well balanced. This is a near perfect movie. I was engaged and rooted for the father. His daughter brought to the life the pain that the events had caused. I thought his wife was a selfish bitch, expertly acted and written. The zonkers religious lady and her pain in the ass loser husband also were perfectly written characters as they got me really involved in the story and they never became caricatures but remained real.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I should definitely see this again. I've really liked pretty much everything from Farhadi. About Elly remains the favorite though