Films That You Would Like To See But Feel Hesitant To.

Tools    

I really liked Spartacus and Ben-Hur a lot. I guess, with The 10 Commandments it's more of a Bible story, but yeah - interesting, in the way Egyptian society functions and stuff - I can look at it that way. I really didn't like The Greatest Story Ever Told, which is another one of the reasons I'm hesitant to watch Commandments - but that might just be because it wasn't as good a movie as the others.
Yeah I can see that, the second half of The 10 Commandments isn't that interesting to me as it is more religious. But the first half rocks because it's set in ancient Egypt under the greatest pharaoh of all, Ramses II. Every time I see that movie even though I know how it turns out I still end up rooting for Ramses. I mean hey it's Yul Brenner and he owns that role. Though Chuck Heston as Moses is pretty powerful acting too. Mainly for me it's a fun movie to put on and kick back and have a snack or two.

Welcome to the human race...
I think the main examples for me would probably be instances where I'm working my way through directors' filmographies and naturally go for their most acclaimed works first so eventually all that's left are their worst (or maybe just least interesting/appealing) movies - a quick handful of examples would include Friedkin's Deal of the Century, Eastwood's J. Edgar, and Schrader's Dominion: Prequel to The Exorcist.

Victim of The Night
I think the main examples for me would probably be instances where I'm working my way through directors' filmographies and naturally go for their most acclaimed works first so eventually all that's left are their worst (or maybe just least interesting/appealing) movies - a quick handful of examples would include Friedkin's Deal of the Century, Eastwood's J. Edgar, and Schrader's Dominion: Prequel to The Exorcist.
Deal Of The Century won't hurt you.
I mean, it's not like it's good but it does have Gregory Hines in it.

Victim of The Night
Never said it would, but you can understand my reluctance to actually getting around to watching it.
Absolutely, I'm just saying, Gregory Hines.

SALO

Crumbsroom and Little Ash started talking about circles of this and that, and I decided to put it off for a little while longer.

SALO

Crumbsroom and Little Ash started talking about circles of this and that, and I decided to put it off for a little while longer.

I don't think it's essential viewing. And there are other Pasolinis that should be prioritized (Teorema, Accotone, Gospel, maybe even stupid crap like Porcile). But in regards to offensiveness, I don't know, off the top of my head I could probably think of twenty more I found more upsetting...and you've probably already seen half of those)

Salo really isn't that hard a watch imo. Personally I found the renowned eating scene very difficult to take seriously.

Salo really isn't that hard a watch imo. Personally I found the renowned eating scene very difficult to take seriously.
I agree. You have to remember it's a movie, not real. I don't mind it. I have a bootleg copy long before Criterion put it out and I have the box from Criterion. I have read books written by deSade and I have seen and read far worse. I used to belong to 2 forums that deal with actual horror so this stuff doesn't phase me.

I've never seen Citizen Kane.

Come at me.
Oh my Oh my. Never seen Citizen Kane? I don't think it's quite as essential for a non-academic film fan, but it is really awful darn good. If you're a certified film fan, especially an academic one, however, it would be like being into physics and not having been exposed to Issac Newton. IMO anyway, CK is essential because it's littered with cinematic devices that subsequently got used over and over. It's an important moment for when movies became "Cinema" (note the capital C).

Chinatown - I would love to see this one, but I accidentally spoiled the ending to this one years ago. I also did the same to others I have not seen such as Berlin Alexanderplatz, 1984, and Veronika Voss. Although with Seventh Seal, I knew Death would prevail because of the obvious moral of how you can not beat Death. I liked that one though because of the medieval atmosphere and not the obvious moral.
I don't think no the ending of Chinatown is much of a deterrent to watching it. It is less a whodunit than an atmosphere.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Salo is a low-key intelligence test.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Victim of The Night
Oh my Oh my. Never seen Citizen Kane? I don't think it's quite as essential for a non-academic film fan, but it is really awful darn good. If you're a certified film fan, especially an academic one, however, it would be like being into physics and not having been exposed to Issac Newton. IMO anyway, CK is essential because it's littered with cinematic devices that subsequently got used over and over. It's an important moment for when movies became "Cinema" (note the capital C).
Yeah, I have three things that have delayed my viewing of Kane. The first was that, once it passed Casablanca as "The Greatest Film Of All Time", I felt there was no way I could be anything but disappointed, then the ending got spoiled for me (I hate spoilers), and then when I finally accepted, some years ago, that whenever I watch these "Great Films" they pretty much always live up to their hype for me (for example, I finally watched The Passion Of Joan Of Arc and was just floored by it), I kinda felt like I want to be in the most receptive mood possible when I watch it just so that I maximize my enjoyment.
All of this had led to literally 25 years of delay.

The truth is in here
How can anybody who is a movie fan have NOT seen Casablanca and The Big Sleep?
I've seen Casablanca, but not The Big Sleep. I got it on DVD however, so will watch it when I can.

The first movie that pops into my head with this topic is Birth Of A Nation. I guess I should watch it due to its important placing in film history, but I'm almost positively sure I wouldn't enjoy it that much. Der Ewige Jude was horrifying enough with its dehumanizing tone.

Yeah, I have three things that have delayed my viewing of Kane. The first was that, once it passed Casablanca as "The Greatest Film Of All Time", I felt there was no way I could be anything but disappointed, then the ending got spoiled for me (I hate spoilers), and then when I finally accepted, some years ago, that whenever I watch these "Great Films" they pretty much always live up to their hype for me (for example, I finally watched The Passion Of Joan Of Arc and was just floored by it), I kinda felt like I want to be in the most receptive mood possible when I watch it just so that I maximize my enjoyment.

I think it was The Bicycle Thieves it passed on its way to the #1 spot, and that was back in '62.

But then, since Vertigo has passed Kane, I guess you should be good to go.

Segment. Not scene.
And I had to mostly cover my eyes during the end of Pink Flamingos as well once my gag reflex started to get too activated.

I had a parallel sort of reason for putting it off, mainly my resistance to that academic "greatest single movie of all time", as designated by Professor Pufinstuff. When I did see it, enough time had passed that I figured that it was a notch on my critic belt, but a least a decent one. I still don't think it's the all time great, but it's definitely worth watching, while you keep in mind that Welles had not the slightest doubt that Kane was the greatest, and directed by the greatest. The man never lacked ego or confidence.

I've seen Casablanca, but not The Big Sleep. I got it on DVD however, so will watch it when I can.

The first movie that pops into my head with this topic is Birth Of A Nation. I guess I should watch it due to its important placing in film history, but I'm almost positively sure I wouldn't enjoy it that much. Der Ewige Jude was horrifying enough with its dehumanizing tone.
BOAN needs to be seen with a jaundiced attitude and a historical perspective, since it was the first really big, multi-reel, cast of thousands movie and worth seeing for that, but the plot material and characters are every bit as reprehensible and outrageous as you might expect. Racism is just baked into every shot in the movie, some of it almost comical if it were not for the fact that Griffith thought of it as "truth". It was off the rails even in 1915.