John Connor's Entertainment Log

→ in
Tools    

THE BODY 2012 ‘El cuerpo’ Oriol Paulo

2h 14m | Mystery | Thriller | Drama
Writer: Oriol Paulo, Lara Sendim
Cast: Jose Coronado, Hugo Silva, Belén Rueda, Aura Garrido, Cristina Plazas

Director Oriol Paulo, truly is some kind of Mystery plot twist master, gotta love it!
(Another good rec. by @cricket )

Glad you liked it. Have you seen The Invisible Guest?
I have, thought it was just as good as this one, with even better cinematography and casting, probably had a bigger budget because of the succes of The Body.

I have, thought it was just as good as this one, with even better cinematography and casting, probably had a bigger budget because of the succes of The Body.
Yea I didn't realize it was the same director or else I would've watched The Body much sooner.

IT'S SUCH A BEAUTIFUL DAY 2012 Don Hertzfeldt

1h 2m | Animation | Comedy | Drama | Fantasy | Horror | Mystery | Sci-F | Thriller
Writer: Don Hertzfeldt

Hertzfeldt shows how human minds are constitutionally incapable of solving certain perennial philosophical problems at this point in 'time'. The visuals lead me to think that it frustrates and depresses him at times. Discussion worthy animated filmmaking.

A HARD DAY 2014 ‘끝까지 간다’ Kim Seong-hun

1h 51m | Crime | Thriller
Writer: Lee Hae-jun, Seong Hun Kim
Cast: Lee Sun-kyun, Cho Jin-woong, Jeong Man-sik

Suspenseful Korean Thriller with great pacing and some unexpected twists.

+

BULLET TRAIN 2022 David Leitch

2h 7m | Action | Comedy | Thriller
Writer: Zak Olkewicz
Cast: Brad Pitt, Joey King, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Brian Tyree Henry, Hiroyuki Sanada, Michael Shannon, Karen Fukuhara, Sandra Bullock

Great cast and soundtrack in this crazy high speed action-packed fun ride!

+

CERTIFIED COPY 'Copie conforme' 2010 Abbas Kiarostami

1h 46m | Drama | Romance
Writer: Abbas Kiarostami, Caroline Eliacheff
Cast: Juliette Binoche, William Shimell, Jean-Claude Carrière

'It'd be stupid of us to ruin our lives for an ideal.'
Interesting subject matter, reminded me at times of Orson Welles ‘Vérités et Mensonges’ F for Fake '73. The acting in multiple languages, very impressive by both of the leads. Tuscany is a magnificent filming location, hope to visit the region soon.

LEVIATHAN 2014 ‘Левиафан’ Andrey Zvyagintsev

2h 20m | Crime | Drama
Writer: Oleg Negin, Andrey Zvyagintsev
Cast: Aleksey Serebryakov, Elena Lyadova, Vladimir Vdovichenkov

ZOOTOPIA 2016 Byron Howard, Rich Moore

1h 48m | Animation | Adventure | Comedy | Crime | Family | Mystery
Writer: Byron Howard, Rich Moore
Cast: Jason Bateman Ginnifer Goodwin Idris Elba Jenny Slate Nate Torrence Bonnie Hunt Don Lake Tommy Chong J.K. Simmons

This was a lot of fun, great animation and cast. Thanks @gbgoodies and @Miss Vicky.

+

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
ZOOTOPIA 2016 Byron Howard, Rich Moore

1h 48m | Animation | Adventure | Comedy | Crime | Family | Mystery
Writer: Byron Howard, Rich Moore
Cast: Jason Bateman Ginnifer Goodwin Idris Elba Jenny Slate Nate Torrence Bonnie Hunt Don Lake Tommy Chong J.K. Simmons

This was a lot of fun, great animation and cast. Thanks @gbgoodies and @Miss Vicky.

+

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It has a good chance to make my 2010s list.

THE ARTIST 2011 Michel Hazanavicius

1h 40m | Drama | Romance | Comedy
Writer: Michel Hazanavicius
Cast: Jean Dujardin, Bérénice Bejo, John Goodman, James Cromwell, Penelope Ann Miller

Very well made film, the expressions and the music more than make up for the absence of spoken words. With noticeable elements from Valentino ‘77 and classics like Umberto D. and Sunset Boulevard. Although there is a lot to like about this film. I don't have any room left for it on my ballot but I do hope it will make the MoFo 2010’s list.

Too high a rating for that one, man!
IMO it's a misunderstood film, it's not really a crime / mob flick at all, more an anti-mob film actually. A creative mind/artist trapped in a sex, money, murder controlled environment. If I rate / compare to actual mob movies criteria this would get a 1,5.

I, DANIEL BLAKE 2016 Ken Loach

1h 40m | Drama
Writer: Paul Laverty
Cast: Dave Johns, Hayley Squires, Dylan McKiernan, Briana Shann, Kate Rutter, Sharon Percy, Kema Sikazwe

I, John Connor have finally seen I, Daniel Blake and loved it. Incredibly realistic and uncompromising drama.
Sadly situations like this happen all around the world. People turn into a number in the system and humanity has made way for heartless bureaucracy. Shout out @CosmicRunaway!

ONE CUT OF THE DEAD 2017 Shinichiro Ueda

1h 36m | Comedy | Horror
Writer: Shinichiro Ueda
Cast: Takayuki Hamatsu, Yuzuki Akiyama, Kazuaki Nagaya, Harumi Shuhama, Mao, Hiroshi Ichihara, Manabu Hosoi

Brilliant piece of Japanese filmmaking, precise, inventive and original.

YELLOWSTONE 2018-2022 John Linson, Taylor Sheridan

Drama | Western
Cast: Kevin Costner, Luke Grimes, Kelly Reilly, Wes Bentley, Cole Hauser

The country lifestyle and culture is a completely foreign thing to me as a European. This show gives some insight into this culture, ranch life and ‘Cowboy-ism’. The way of life and philosophy isn't that different from the Indian tribes that lived there before them. Especially their relation to the land, nature, wildlife and everything that comes with that.
Very high ‘binge-watchability’, even when it’s like 2 hours past bedtime, the urge to put on the next episode is strong. The cast, characters, cinematography and shooting locations are all great. Highly recommended Western drama series.

+

Whiskey Myers - Stone

SPIELBERG 2017 Susan Lacy

2h 27m | Documentary | Biography
Cast: Steven Spielberg, Brian De Palma, Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Robert Zemeckis, Dustin Hoffman, Harrison Ford, Richard Dreyfuss, Tom Hanks, Daniel Day-Lewis, George Lucas, John Williams, Leonardo DiCaprio, Cate Blanchett, Anthony Hopkins, Drew Barrymore, Christian Bale, Tom Cruise, Daniel Craig, Laura Dern, Ralph Fiennes, Holly Hunter, Ben Kingsley, Oprah Winfrey, Sally Field, David Koepp. Jeff Goldblum, Liam Neeson, Eric Bana

+