Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

I've seen Blue Jasmine before so I'll skip this round. It was my first Woody Allen after initially having no interest in the director. Now I've seen quite a few. It's a good one. Dice rules!

I’ve seen Blue Jasmine. It’s one of only two Woody Allen movies I’ve managed to get all the way through. I remember thinking it was pretty good but I have no desire to see it again. Will probably skip it.

I wanted to jump back into this and I also need to rewatch Blue Jasmine for the countdown. So excited to see if my opinion changes on a second viewing. The first time I watched Blue Jasmine I was in the I hate Woody Allen movies camp. But then I challenged myself to watch a bunch of Allen's movies and ended up being a fan. So we'll see how I feel about Blue Jasmine.

This is just a reminder that if you've already seen the film and it's still pretty fresh in your head, you can still be added to the pool of hosts for the next round.

This is just a reminder that if you've already seen the film and it's still pretty fresh in your head, you can still be added to the pool of hosts for the next round.
It ain't fresh in my head, hell I couldn't even say what it was about Kind of like it's been wiped from my mind.

It's been like 8 years and I don't even remember what it was about.

Not fresh enough to talk any details

That jazz score starts up an I am immediately in the mood. Haven’t watched an Allen in a while. See you in a couple hours.

I rewatched Blue Jasmine on blu ray today. Very good film with excellent performance by Cate Blanchett. It won't make my ballot though.

Blue Jasmine was on my rewatch list because I hadn’t seen it since release. I put it in my top ten of that year, that was the correct decision. It’s an excellent movie. Possibly my favorite Blanchett performance. which is saying something as she is one of my faves. Classic Allen script that just works incredibly well because this movie is perfectly cast all around.

I would like to make room for this on my list, but I think there is just way too much competition.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Blue Jasmine is already on my watchlist for the countdown, so I'll bump it to the top and watch it within the next 2 days.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
One of just a few Allen movies I've seen only once.
What a coincidence, I bought the Blue Jasmine DVD a week ago and that's the time to see this film again.

Apologies, fell out of pace here. I have the day off tommorow for Yom Kippur, and will try to watch as many as possible since my nomination.

I have seen Blue Jasmine and quite enjoyed it, though it's not the Woody Allen of the decade I'm considering for my list. Very raw and human, much more dramatic than the majority of his work

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Blue Jasmine (2013) was pretty good, but I didn't love it like most people seem to. The story was good, but I just never really connected to Jasmine, and I just couldn't feel bad for her, especially when she was lying to people. I hate Andrew Dice Clay, so seeing him in the movie didn't help, and the way the movie kept flipping back and forth from the past to the present was kind of annoying after a while, so that didn't help either. I didn't dislike the movie, but I didn't love it either.

Blue Jasmine (2013)

Wow...I just did a complete reversal on this film. Several years ago I panned Blue Jasmine, blasting it in a MoFo review. At that time I couldn't stand Woody Allen and didn't like most of his movies. Of course I hadn't seen all that many of his movies so I challenged myself to watch a bunch of them. I did that and guess what? I became a Woody Allen fan! Strange but true. And for all these years I've been wanting to go back and watch Blue Jasmine to see if my opinion would change...and it did...

I thought Blue Jasmine was a near perfect film. It's well written, well cast and the fashions that both Jasmine (Cate Blanchette) & Ginger (Sally Hawkins) wore in the film were perfectly chose for each of their character's personalities and financial status. In the case of Ginger her lack of financial status (she bagged groceries) was perfectly demonstrate with her boho wardrobe matching her breezy, free spirit. I though she looked great. Jasmine of course is the epitome of chic. I read she carried a $35k Hermès bag. Wow, I didn't know purses could cost that much!...But I did instantly notice Jasmine was put together extremely well. Loved that white button up sweater she wore with black trim. All this fancy-smancy designer apparel juxtaposed brilliantly with the end scene of Jasmine sitting alone on a park bench, ranting away, sans make up and looking pretty ragged.

I thought Cate Blanchette was brilliant in this, with many inspired acting scenes. Loved her facial expressions there's a wealth of thought behind her those eyes. A lot of the credit must go to Woody Allen's writing. My favorite writting was the monologue that Cate delivers to Ginger's two kids in the restaurant. I loved the way her lines was written, she talked to the kids like they were adult confidants. The best part of that is 'talking adult to little kids' was never milked for outlandish laughs. Everything Jasmine says to the two boys is believably endemic to her own self absorbed, self important personality. Jasmine is all about Jasmine and that scene solidifies that.

Sally Hawkins was great, loved her in this. She's so full of carefree life that she perfectly balances the dismal Jasmine, making Jasmine seem all the more fluffled. All of the cast from Ginger's husband and two boyfriends, to the dentist and Jasmine's husband (Alec Baldwin) was perfectly cast, written and acted.

So yeah I enjoyed this, I'd give it a
and just for fun and because I have no ego I'll post my old review of Blue Jasmine so you guys can contrast and compare.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My old review of Blue Jasmine from 1-11-15 OMG that was over 7 years ago!

Blue Jasmine (2013)

Director: Woody Allen
Writer: Woody Allen
Cast: Cate Blanchett, Alec Baldwin, Sally Hawkins, Peter Sarsgaard

Woody Allen manages to do it again...he writes himself into the movie. This time as a nervous-neurotic, pill popping woman, Jasmine. Her character like many characters written by Woody, is a bundle of live nerves, rambling million words a minute while lamenting everything in life.

Premise: Jasmine (Cate Blancett) is an ultra rich snobby woman who's married to a weaselly financial investor/swindler, aptly played by Alex Balwin. They loose their fortune, so Jasmine leaves the glamorous life behind to live with her working class sister, Ginger (Sally Hawkins) in San Francisco.

Actors: Cate Blancett is a well respected actress and she was admirable in the film. However her reserved nature is not so suited to playing a rambling neurotic woman.

Sally Hawkins is always great in her roles, she really adds much needed life to what feels like a very shallow film with people we don't really care about. Her scenes were the best part of the film. Andrew Dice Clay, yah that one, is pretty darn good as an opinionated working class stiff.

Cinematography: The camera work is fine but the film has this horrendous yellow tint. This is the same over-saturated yellow cast that Woody used in Magic In The Moonlight. It's very distracting, as is the flash back scene edits. They're abrupt and seem to happen at the wrong time in the film.

Conclusion: I didn't buy into the film or care about the characters, especially the relationship scenes. I wonder if Woody Allen knows much about women as the males who hit on the ladies in the film seem totally artificially....If you like Woody Allen type films, you should like Blue Jasmine at least the actors were good.

Blue Jasmine (2013) was pretty good, but I didn't love it like most people seem to. The story was good, but I just never really connected to Jasmine, and I just couldn't feel bad for her, especially when she was lying to people. I hate Andrew Dice Clay, so seeing him in the movie didn't help, and the way the movie kept flipping back and forth from the past to the present was kind of annoying after a while, so that didn't help either. I didn't dislike the movie, but I didn't love it either.
I get that you don't like his usual persona, but didn't you think he was likable in the movie?