A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

For the Letterboxd's Hooptober challenge, I dove into the nightmare fuel of The Pied Piper (1986). Yeah, it's based on the Pied Piper story. But thanks to some memorable stop motion animation and character design, it's solid.
May be something I need to look into.

My October watch pattern has a formula to it. Maybe later I will check it out.

And speaking of remakes I also watched Firestarter (2022) which was a ****ing travesty. The original isn’t perfect but imagine stripping it of anything unique and remaking it in the most boring, unimaginative way possible.

Side note I remember when Zac Efron was a teen heartthrob and he’s playing a dad now. So I guess that makes me old.
I liked it!

That's a great one. Available on YouTube I believe.
It is. Definitely worth seeking out if you wanting a good fright under an hour.

May be something I need to look into.

My October watch pattern has a formula to it. Maybe later I will check it out.
It's definitely worth it to mix things up whether via the Hooptober or something being done here on Movie Forums.

It's definitely worth it to mix things up whether via the Hooptober or something being done here on Movie Forums.
I'm kinda doing my own thing. Linking horror films by sub-genre, actor or director/writer. In 2 days I'm on my 6th film.

watching horror movies in october thing day #2

The Scary of Sixty-First (Dasha Nekrasova, 2021)

Oh jeez that was one of the most unhinged things I've seen in a minute despite also wearing its influences on its sleeves. Definitely borrows a lot from 70's horror and giallo a good bit but not quite enough to feel like a pastiche (and it looks great as a result) and its also solidly funny (for the most part) without feeling like parody. What it also borrows from that era of horror is the heaping amounts of ableism. Like, there's so much it feels like a thematic element but I'm not really sure what it's going for, if it's going for anything. Added to the unhinged nature of the film I guess but like... what? Will probably have to sit on that for a bit to process how I really feel about that but currently its maybe the only thing putting me off from being all in on this thing. It looks dope, its camp as hell while giving you enough to consider the possibility that its all meant to be taken seriously and its just a wild, wild ride.

MKS recommended Scary of Sixty First to me because he said it was unpleasant and therefore he thought of me. I never recovered from the comment and as such have yet to see it.

MKS recommended Scary of Sixty First to me because he said it was unpleasant and therefore he thought of me. I never recovered from the comment and as such have yet to see it.
I don’t recall saying it was unpleasant. I recall saying it was sleazy… and thought of you.

Anywho, here are a few more October watches:

Twilight Zone: The Movie- 3/5
Dracula: Pages from a Virgin’s Diary- 3.5/5
Blood & Donuts- 3.5/5
The Living Dead Girl- 3/5

Yeah after our exchange on Twitter the other day I figured if you liked it it’s worth a watch but man I’m struggling to find positive things to say about it...They didn’t whitewash the Rainbird character this time around so that’s something I guess.

Yeah after our exchange on Twitter the other day I figured if you liked it it’s worth a watch but man I’m struggling to find positive things to say about it...They didn’t whitewash the Rainbird character this time around so that’s something I guess.
I can get not finding much to praise (aside from Carpenter’s score which is appropriately… Fire) because its successes are fairly minor. I also don’t see what’s particularly bad. I thought everyone turned in at least competent performances, including the girl but most notably Efron, some of the special effects, like burn victim in the car, were fairly impressive, and it seemed to be trying, despite a Blumhouse budget.

And it didn’t whitewash Rainbird!

However, I did watch it with a 102 degree fever so I might have been delirious. Anything is possible. I also like the original seemingly more than most.

I'm a big fan of this one, though I admit it has some pacing issues.
Indeed. It took me some time to appreciate its off-kilter vibe and scatterbrained plotting (I had taken a migraine rescue this morning and while the headache was gone, I was left a tad drowsy), but the lead’s characterization, the intentional randomness of his encounters, Cronenberg dropping a series of ableist slurs, and the execution of the very end, ultimately won me over.

I don’t recall saying it was unpleasant. I recall saying it was sleazy… and thought of you.
😵

I watched The Rental, directed by Dave Franco, starring Allison Brie and that guy from The Bear. This was nice. It’s under 90 minutes but still takes it’s time, There’s some good sexual tension between a couple of the characters. I don’t think the third act is as strong as what came before it but it accomplishes what it sets out to do.