Things that annoy you...

Tools    

You guys submit your own readings? Don’t you have meters that send this info to the providers?
We don't want a smart meter installed so until it's forced on us... we submit our own readings.

A lot in Britain still do what we do, hence the high volume and queuing to submit readings online.

You ready? You look ready.
We don't want a smart meter installed so until it's forced on us... we submit our own readings.

A lot in Britain still do what we do, hence the high volume and queuing to submit readings online.
Is that a rural/small town sorta thing. Or are you in a city?

You ready? You look ready.
I'm in a semi rural area about two miles from town. Don't think it really matters where you live unless you are in the middle of nowhere?
What I meant is if you lived in a city would you still have to report it yourself?

Ah sorry, urban or rural - if you don't have a smart meter then either you submit the readings or someone from the company comes to your house. The energy company we are with stopped sending out people during covid and they have continued with it.

I took photos of our electric and gas metres yesterday to prove pre-October usage and not be charged at October rate.

This country's so fukced.

^ Yep, taken photos too. Reason it was busy on website, everyone getting their readings in before tomorrow, well tomorrow for the one I'm with.

Ah sorry, urban or rural - if you don't have a smart meter then either you submit the readings or someone from the company comes to your house. The energy company we are with stopped sending out people during covid and they have continued with it.

Interesting. Way way way back in the day some guy would come on the property & read the electric meter on the side of the house (we don’t have gas). Since then I think they still do the drive by thing where the driver scans it as he goes past. Actually, I haven’t the faintest idea if they still do it this way.

What do other people here in America do?

We never had the option of calling in the reading.

Unsure what a “smart meter” is. Maybe that’s what we have. Why wouldn’t you want one?

I know for sure that somewhere in my Victorian house is a small bag of Velcro which is useful to have. Is that bag where it’s been forever? No. Where else could it be? No idea.
Success! Found the Velcro in my office.

Unsure what a “smart meter” is. Maybe that’s what we have. Why wouldn’t you want one?
Smart meters measure how much gas and electricity you're using via a remote connection to your energy supplier. They come with an in-home display screen to help you see how much energy you're using and whether you can reduce your energy consumption.

Smart meters measure how much gas and electricity you're using via a remote connection to your energy supplier. They come with an in-home display screen to help you see how much energy you're using and whether you can reduce your energy consumption.

Then I don’t have a smart meter as our meter is outside.

The planet needs rain & some people have no clean water at all so we can’t complain.
Oh, we definitely can. Just because something is necessary, doesn't mean it isn't/can't be annoying.

Termite inspections

We have a contract with an exterminator to come out and inspect our house every so often. This requires them to get under the house and into the attic - which requires me to pull everything out of my bedroom closet. And because really the only place I can put that stuff is on my bed, this means I have to get up early on my day off to clear it out.

Well, we had an inspection scheduled today so I got up at 6:00 and cleared all that stuff out because the inspection was supposed to start at some point between 8:00 and 10:00. Except it didn't really happen because the guy they sent is too big to fit in the crawl space under the house and the only ladder he had was too long for him to be able to get in the attic. So I got up early and did all that only to be told that we have to reschedule.

This is some bullshit.

Oh, we definitely can. Just because something is necessary, doesn't mean it isn't/can't be annoying.
This sounds extremely selfish to me.

Termite inspections

We have a contract with an exterminator to come out and inspect our house every so often. This requires them to get under the house and into the attic - which requires me to pull everything out of my bedroom closet. And because really the only place I can put that stuff is on my bed, this means I have to get up early on my day off to clear it out.

Well, we had an inspection scheduled today so I got up at 6:00 and cleared all that stuff out because the inspection was supposed to start at some point between 8:00 and 10:00. Except it didn't really happen because the guy they sent is too big to fit in the crawl space under the house and the only ladder he had was too long for him to be able to get in the attic. So I got up early and did all that only to be told that we have to reschedule.

This is some bullshit.
What a PITA. Couldn’t the guy at least go retrieve a shorter ladder & return? This sounds very Laurel & Hardy to me, which doesn’t make it less annoying.