Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

Overrated is personal. What does many people like that I don't?
But The Untouchables is a movie I don't understand what people see in it. I know that it's a celebration of the old police/adventure movies of the 40/50s, but still a new modern touch wouldn't hurt? The loving wife that doesn't care that her husband doesn't spend any time with her, the nerd, the hard boiled cop. The bad guys that looks like the badest guys ever. No grey areas, everything is black and white. This is just bad in my mind.
A lot has to do with when it was made. Kevin Costner was every mom's celebrity crush. Sean Conner was every grandma's celebrity crush. The film was good enough - some meme-worthy lines (e.g., knife to a gun fight, that's a enough of this running s**t!) and it got the stamp of quality. The rest is the power of memberberries. I liked the film, myself. However, I can't remember the last time I watched it, whereas I watch Goodfellas once a year.

Welcome to the human race...
The Untouchables is a rather flat movie and that does hurt it, but the execution is good enough to compensate and make it a generally solid piece of work. Like the line goes, you don't need to reinvent the wheel to make a good set of tyres.

Wow I strongly disagree with your first 3 choices and disagree with your 4th.

STAR WARS
I saw it in the movies with my uncle and my cousins when it first came out. .It was a fun adventure flick. But I wasn't that impressed with it. It didn't rock my world the way it did other kids.
I haven't seen it since then.

Once Upon a Time in America. A 3.5 hour long movie that had so many drawn out and seemingly useless scenes that it could've easily been cut down to 90 minutes.

These are my picks.

1) Usual Suspects - this film is just not that entertaining. Kevin Spacey is the single most overrated actor I have ever seen. What is so great about this guy? It's like he projects an aura of pretentiousness or smugness that is far greater than what his character demands. He was not convincing in this role. Not as the dupe, anyways. But it had a fun ending.

2) Pulp Fiction - I never thought this film was too exciting. It had slick dialogue, but to me, that just made it seem even more unrealistic. Never understood how this film greatly overshadowed the ultra-intense True Romance , written by Tarantino.

3) The Fugitive - this movie was boring and uninspired. I remember the year it won the Oscar for Tommy Lee Jones for supporting actor. I thought Malkovich should have won for a superior and underrated In the Line of Fire .

4) The Silence of the Lambs - overall, this was a riveting and daring film. But sweeping the top 4? How can Hopkins win an Oscar for a role that demands zero emotion? I'm still wondering about that one.

5) The English Patient - a boring epic which thought itself too clever.

6) As Good as it Gets - someone please tell me why this movie got such rave reviews and attention? Did someone tell Helen hunt she can act?

7) Erin Brockovich - Julia Roberts in an emotionally charged liberal wet-dream. Which means it was very loosely based on its true life accounts.

Very pleased to see Silence of the Lambs on your list. I have a good friend and fellow buff who thinks it's the greatest movie ever made and I just don't get it. There are good things about it, but it is hardly the be all and all of moviemaking and totally unworthy of the sweep it did of the top five Oscars. I couldn't even get through The English Patient and as for The Fugitive, Tommy Lee Jones was way more Oscar-worthy in JFK...that's the film he should have won for.

My overrated list is bound to piss off a lot of people. OH WELL!

1. Fargo
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Raging Bull
4. Goodfellas
5. The Godfather - This one I like, but the best of them all? I don't get it. "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." Is that really one of the best lines of all time? Oooook. I've heard several superior lines in Police Academy movies.
Totally agree with you regarding 2001...that movie bored the crap out of me.

Any of the Star Wars movies. I never got into any of them. I'm absolutely loathing the approach of the upcoming one, because it will be all I hear about from my movie-goin buddies for about a month. As for over-rated, if there is a whole lotta hype about the TRAILER, I think there's something wrong with the movie.
I'm not a big fan of the Star Wars franchise either...just not my genre.

A beautiful mind
The Jazz Singer

As for The Usual suspects i thought it was underrated, no oscar award nominations for best pic or anything.
Big second to A Beautiful Mind

Arsenic and Old Lace
Mr Smith Goes to Washington
Mr Deeds Goes to Town
The Searchers
Tokyo Story
Vertigo
Apocaylpse Now
Shakespeare in Love
Aviator
The Kings Speech
New Top Ten for me...

Apocalypse Now
Greed
Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
The Leopard
Stagecoach (I mean this over The Searchers)
Moonlight
Nashville
Tokyo Story
Vertigo

The Adventure Starts Here!
New Top Ten for me...

Apocalypse Now
Greed
The Leopard
Moonlight
Nashville
Tokyo Story
Vertigo
Glad to see you took Arsenic and Old Lace off your list!

The trick is not minding
Hausu. Obayashi made better films.

I’ve found Fulci generally over rated.

Cassavetes films. I just can’t get into them, mostly because of their dialogue.

American Werewolf in London.
The Howling is superior.

The Shining. Kubrick made better films

Alien. Aliens is better.

Tree of Life. Maybe I owe this a rewatch.

New Top Ten for me...

Apocalypse Now
Greed
The Leopard
Moonlight
Nashville
Tokyo Story
Vertigo

I like Apocalypse now, although the first half could've between certainly better.

I have a similar problem with Vertigo. After the eventful opening scene, not much happens for a very long time.

I love Silence of the Lambs, and it's predecessor Red Dragon (original), but I have one problem with the entire series that bugs me every time it comes up.

The author named him Hannibal. I'm sorry, but I wince every time.

"I've got a great idea for a villain in my upcoming book! Now, what should I name this CANNIBAL? Hmm...."