Celebrities/Actors you hate irrationally

Tools    

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
I can't stand Russell Brand. There is just something about him.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

Yeah, we're not gonna start arguing about that.

Not that anybody has any real intention of having these arguments, anyway. I've learned the hard way that many users just want to make sure any perceived Bad Opinion is superficially challenged and, once that's done, the discussion unceremoniously ends.

The issue is what the person themselves considers rational.

And that's quite enough. I'll encourage everyone to remember the No Politics rule. Particularly those who start the "fight," but yes, also those who can't stand the indignity of seeing Wrongthink not met with some facile drive-by challenge.

Welcome to the human race...
Maybe people just skimmed over the word "irrationally" when reading the thread title. I think you have to demonstrate a certain self-awareness in explaining your irrational reasoning (which does feel like an oxymoron) and that does make the whole endeavour seem fundamentally pointless so that's why people settle into just naming people they genuinely dislike.

I think it's kind of hard to respond to the actual topic but people just like to say things, so some of them reply with people they have an ostensibly rational reason for, sure.

The topic seems to be more about people who rub you the wrong way for some unquantifiable and/or unexplainable reason, which I think everybody has, if they're being honest. But yes, that does require some self-awareness.

A pseudo-intellectual? No clearly not

A hero to the incel community? Perhaps

But to many others too. Christian Ronaldo, Charlie Hunnam included

Okay, that was less of an escalation than I'd feared, and everyone's had their say now, so I'm just gonna draw the line there and remove any further posts on the topic. Thank you.

Sorry, should've got that reply in before the boss man showed up.

Anyway, I've seen a couple of people pick Pete Davidson and he seems like a good answer for this - there's nothing overly obnoxious or problematic about him, but it's definitely weird to me that he's become this sort of overnight sensation but the few things I've actually seen him in haven't done anything to convince me that he's a worthwhile screen presence.

The name that leaps to mind for me is George Clooney.

I don't know what it is about him, but I just don't ever want to see him or hear him in anything. He's a decent actor. He's not unattractive. His voice isn't grating, but I generally just can't stand him. I can tolerate him in Burn After Reading, but that's probably because his irritating presence is overshadowed by how awesome John Malkovich, Brad Pitt, and Francis McDormand are in it.

This thread did make me get around to publishing a thread idea I've at the back of my mind about actors where you don't like any of the films you've seen them in, which might give rise to an ultimately unfounded idea that you dislike them as a person even though correlation does not equal causation. The answer I went with was James McAvoy - no real dislike for the guy, just don't like the films he's been in.

Anyway, I've seen a couple of people pick Pete Davidson and he seems like a good answer for this - there's nothing overly obnoxious or problematic about him, but it's definitely weird to me that he's become this sort of overnight sensation but the few things I've actually seen him in haven't done anything to convince me that he's a worthwhile screen presence.
That's a good choice, though I'm unsure if it's irrational or not. He's moderately talented/funny, I guess (the first few segments of his I saw on SNL I really liked), but yes, he seems to have stumbled into a level of fame that has way more to do with gossip and tabloid prurience than his actual work.

The "irrational" part might be that my eye rolling in response is maybe excessive to the "offense" of being famous for dumb things. That might be a way to produce more answers that sorta-kinda fit the topic: people you have a genuine reason to dislike, but the irrationality is how much you dislike them for it.

The name that leaps to mind for me is George Clooney.
Amusingly, this is actually what I thought of when I saw the thread title: you, specifically, saying George Clooney.

I've often wanted to interrogate (in the non-aggressive sense) this kinda stuff. I'm genuinely very curious why some people bug you (or anyone), particularly when they can enumerate all the usual reasons and rule them all out as explanations. Like you said, he's not a bad actor (though I'd say a very good one), he's not unpleasant to look at (though I'd say very handsome), etc.

Absent specifics my null hypothesis for these kinds of situations is that maybe they remind us of a type of person we don't like, IE: some young guy actor feels like a "frat boy" type, or some older guy like Clooney feels like some remorseless lothario, or whatever.

I'm not sure if anyone knows who he is, but Jon Seda. I hate his character on Homicide: Life on the Street, Dr. Falsone, for how smug, holier-than-thou and for how artificial he is in comparison to his very human co-workers. He reminds me of Poochie from The Simpsons in that he comes across as a character invented by studio heads in an obvious attempt to appeal to younger viewers and we all know how that went. While his character in HBO's The Pacific is sort of "pseudo-saintly," if you will - at least not as much as Falsone - my irrational hatred still made me nauseous whenever Seda was on screen and tainted the experience. The only thing he's in where I don't feel this way is Twelve Monkeys, probably due to a combination of him not playing a character like this and he's mostly unrecognizable in it.

Denzel Washington. Not as a person, as I cannot know what kind of a person he is. I just can't stand his actorship.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I second this.

What about:

Brendan Fraser
Owen Wilson
Vince Vaughn
...ugh...

Sounds like this:

Absent specifics my null hypothesis for these kinds of situations is that maybe they remind us of a type of person we don't like, IE: some young guy actor feels like a "frat boy" type