Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

*Googles 'Skinny Puppy Live' at work*
Noooooo!
Well, if you can get away with Nightbeast, you can get away with anything.

But yeah...fake blood, mock executions, crucifixes, you name it.

Multiple mentions of both myself and my son, the Nightbeast, over the last few pages.

*weeps with joy*

Victim of The Night
A buddy of mine was really into Skinny Puppy when we were in high school.
He loved lording it over everybody that they didn't really know Skinny Puppy and only he was cool enough to appreciate Skinny Puppy.
Skinny Puppy.

I watched Top Gun: Maverick.

Much like the original it has planes in it. I didn't catch the model, but they looked to me like Quantas Commercial airliners. But what do I know. And maybe because the original was never any good anyways, this was watchable as a cash in reboot.

I imagine it plays way better in Imax, but the action scenes were alright. As usual, the nods back to the franchise are super embarrassing and annoying (pedo-moustached Miles Teller singing Great Balls of Fire should have been enough for me to go to bed).

Nothing to write home about. But I didn't hate it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yeah, good old Skinny Puppy…

*has no idea what Skinny Puppy is*
What kind of dogs are these? I would never get a pet, but the picture is cute.

I think they're dachshunds (aka wiener dogs).

Victim of The Night
What kind of dogs are these? I would never get a pet, but the picture is cute.
Dachshunds. They're the best.

I watched Top Gun: Maverick.

Much like the original it has planes in it. I didn't catch the model, but they looked to me like Quantas Commercial airliners. But what do I know. And maybe because the original was never any good anyways, this was watchable as a cash in reboot.

I imagine it plays way better in Imax, but the action scenes were alright. As usual, the nods back to the franchise are super embarrassing and annoying (pedo-moustached Miles Teller singing Great Balls of Fire should have been enough for me to go to bed).

Nothing to write home about. But I didn't hate it.
I found most of the younger characters kinda whatever (I think the movie cheats to make Teller likeable by having Glen Powell play an even bigger douche), but this is basically the Tom Cruise show, which I’m always down for. The flight scenes were amazing in IMAX, so seeing this theatrically definitely would have been the way to go.

I found the tone of Top Gun: Maverick kind of weird. Granted, I've never served in the military, so maybe the film is more realistic than I think. However, given how much their mission was set up to be a suicide mission where they had to rely on luck several times to pull it off correctly and survive, treating the proceedings as a big romantic adventure full of friendship where they
WARNING: spoilers below
saved each other's lives at the last second, like, three times
didn't feel like the right tone for the final act.

Victim of The Night
Man, all I can say as a bystander is that I have less than zero interest in what seems like a combination vanity-project/cash-grab.
Never cared for the original Bro Culture movie and, with nothing to discourage the idea that this was made to puff Cruise's career back up while cashing in on nostalgia for the original film and the time, I can't sense a drop of real value in this.

I mean, Cruise has been doing okay with the last few Mission Impossible movies. I don’t think this one is a last ditch effort to save his career so much as continuing the brand. Also, given that the current blockbuster landscape is very different than it was in the ‘80s (fewer actual movie stars, more CGI, more pantaloons), a movie whose selling point is the presence of a genuine star and sturdy meat and potatoes thrills hits a lot differently now than the original did.

I should mention that I was recently watching the original squeezed horizontally to 4:3 and was still having a good time, so we’re probably approaching this from different angles.

Also, are Hollywood and Slider the same person? I’ve seen the original a bunch of times now and I still can’t tell them apart.

Properly viewed as an object lesson about the dangers of heterosexual relationships, the original Top Gun is a classic of gay cinema (I'm only half-joking here).

And Maverick is of course just a meta-commetary on how movies have changed, but that (as Rock alludes to) the "old guard" of cinema--eschewing CGI gimmickry in favor of old-fashioned stuntwork and the screen presence of Movie Stars--is not finished yet. In that sense I think the movie is a success.

I've never had the inclination to watch Top Gun, let alone Top Gun: Maverick.
I did see Maverick, with Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster as a teenager. I believe that was a remake.

I really don't have much to add.

Victim of The Night
I mean, Cruise has been doing okay with the last few Mission Impossible movies. I don’t think this one is a last ditch effort to save his career so much as continuing the brand. Also, given that the current blockbuster landscape is very different than it was in the ‘80s (fewer actual movie stars, more CGI, more pantaloons), a movie whose selling point is the presence of a genuine star and sturdy meat and potatoes thrills hits a lot differently now than the original did.
No, I didn't say that, but for a lot of people, Cruise can only keep making MI movies, not much else he does works the last few years. This puts him back, I think, into Invincible Superstar territory and re-expands his bankability.