Share Your Ideas: Inventions or Other Stuff

Tools    

I always have ideas for stuff (and I know you do to), but I rarely write them down - so this is a place to record and share them. They can be ideas for new inventions, ways to improve on things that already exist, or just better ways to do things.

I often have spur of the moment brain storms for inventions or improvements on existing stuff, but then I promptly forget them. I'm trying to remember some now, but I can't. If I can recall any I will post them.

I often have spur of the moment brain storms for inventions or improvements on existing stuff, but then I promptly forget them. I'm trying to remember some now, but I can't. If I can recall any I will post them.
That's what this thread is for.

Since this summer's heatwave & drought have ended, I've done a lot of lawn mowing & edging lately, and I always wish there was a lawn mower with some kind of an edger built in so you could do both at once. Maybe it already exists.

I'm not an engineer, but envision a lawn mower with built-in levers on the sides of the handles that could lower some sort of vertically-aligned edging blade (preferably located under a cover like the mower blades, and obviously outside of their radius) along designated areas... and guides on the front & back of the mower showing you where to align it so your edger is in the right spot.

And the mower blades would create the suction to get rid of all the edging debris (either suck it up into a mower bag or disperse it) just like it does the cut grass.

Combos:

I wonder why there isn't a sunscreen lotion or spray that also serves as an insect repellent?
Since I work outdoors in buggy areas, I usually have to put on both.
(Maybe the chemicals for the desired protections aren't compatible).

Also, there are these ultra mouthwashes out now that "do it all", so I wonder why they don't include the treatment for tooth sensitivity in them? I think the chemical in toothpastes like Sensodyne is potassium nitrate which desensitizes nerves under teeth to pain. So why not put that in a mouthwash with fluoride (to strengthen teeth), whitener to whiten teeth, and all the stuff that gives you fresh breath & fights gingivitis? (Again, perhaps the answer is that all these different chemicals would not react well with each other),

I do remember asking my dentist why they don't make a mouthwash for tooth sensitivity (as it would probably penetrate deeper as a liquid and you could hold it in your mouth longer than toothpaste) and his answer was... "Hmmm? I don't know!"

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm not gonna give you my genius ideas for you to steal!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I'm not gonna give you my genius ideas for you to steal!
I did consider this.

But with things like my combo lawnmower / edger idea - I'd never be able to design or build one myself, but if someone else took the idea and was able to construct such a contraption that worked well - that's something I would buy.

I think the chemical in toothpastes like Sensodyne is potassium nitrate which desensitizes nerves under teeth to pain.
Going off topic, the “catch” with products like Sensodyne toothpaste is that once one’s teeth are sensitized to Sensodyne, no other toothpaste can be used without discomfort. I know this from experience. 🤦

I finally remembered an idea I had for a product improvement.

Wheel chairs with hydraulic lifts. That way a person who's in a wheel chair can raise the height of the seat so that their head is at a similar height to people who are standing. Image a person confined to a wheel chair going to a party or social event where everyone is standing. A press of a switch and built in hydraulic lifts could raise the seat portion so that eye to eye level contact is possible.

This also would be could for a wheel chair bound person shopping, by raising the height of the seat they could easily reach items on shelves that otherwise would be out of reach.

Always thought opening up a bar in a laundrymat or a hospital would be a cash cow.
Just as long as the physicians are not allowed in the bar, I guess it’s okay.

I don't have a serious answer, except to say it always amuses me when someone has an idea, but the hard part is clearly making the thing and the idea itself is less an insight than it is "wouldn't it be nice if we had this?"

My cousin made huge $$$ with his invention. It was so dumb and easy. He owned a bowling alley and thought of putting drain tiles in the gutters, so kids wouldn't get frustrated with the sport.

Every establishment has them now.

My cousin made huge $$$ with his invention. It was so dumb and easy. He owned a bowling alley and thought of putting drain tiles in the gutters, so kids wouldn't get frustrated with the sport.

Huh? I've been bowling but I don't get it

I don't have a serious answer, except to say it always amuses me when someone has an idea, but the hard part is clearly making the thing and the idea itself is less an insight than it is "wouldn't it be nice if we had this?"
That last part is pretty much what the thread is all about.
"Wouldn't it be nice" (credits to Brian Wilson & Tony Asher)

The problem lies in the fact that although ALMOST anything is possible, a lot of things aren't feasible or practical, especially in the area of cost effectiveness and the assessment of investment vs. risk.

What I find really neat is when creative people bypass the process and create something at home, for themselves but not necessarily to sell or mass produce.

I am also confused. "drain tiles"?

Many use bars now that fold up for kids. But he started it with drain tiles, which are :

These would lay in the gutters and a kids ball would just bounce off them.
Oh I see! That is really clever.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
So many, and yeah, with so many lurking, it's probably not the best idea to put them out.. As a kid, I invented our "TV Constitution" and a sport I got my brother to comply with, learn, and play.

My latest ideas are social experiments, or artistic ideas. They all cost money, so for now, it's just a little bit of music collaboration.