Films That You Would Like To See But Feel Hesitant To.

Tools    

This this the thread for the movies that you are willing to see, but you feel that you will not enjoy them.

Here are mine:

The Grand Illusion(1937) - Two reasons are that I do not like war movies as they usually fly above my head(Patton, Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, even Dr. Strangelove). I despised Blackhawk Down as well. Also because I watched Renoir's other work Rules of the Game and did not like it very much due to being confusing, although I might the second time as I saw other people with the same issues as I had. I kind of picture this to be a Shawshank Redemption/Green Mile like movie though which I like.

Battle of Algiers(1966) - Again, it is a war movie and I just never remember them with the exception of Full Metal Jacket, but the scenes I remembered there were with the drill sergeant. However, I do not know for certain, but I will give a review as I now have seen it... Old: Maybe it will take me to another planet like it did for George Miller. I keep feeling like this is one of those films that people do not enjoy watching, but do so because of its historical merits. I will get back to you.

Chinatown - I would love to see this one, but I accidentally spoiled the ending to this one years ago. I also did the same to others I have not seen such as Berlin Alexanderplatz, 1984, and Veronika Voss. Although with Seventh Seal, I knew Death would prevail because of the obvious moral of how you can not beat Death. I liked that one though because of the medieval atmosphere and not the obvious moral.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy - I attempted to see this one with family years ago, but I left because I was bored of the movie. I saw glimpses of the second and even like the first part of the third one, but then left again as it took so long to wrap things up... Now I feel like I need to see them all so that I am closer to seeing the 1001 movies before my death. 1001 does not really matter though. I seen the Star Wars, Toy Story, No Name, and Three Colors trilogies, so this makes me feel like I need the LOTR in there too. I feel very hesitant to watch 9-hours though. I have no intention to watch Game of Thrones either as it does not look like my cup of tea.

This is a tricky subject, because when I hear anyone talk about how they don't expect something, I think they're basically ensuring they won't. Or at least making it more difficult.

It's not possible to be perfectly neutral going into something, but I think it's often important to try to be. But if someone's thinking "I just hate fantasy" or "I don't like goofy scfi-fi" while they're watching a film that falls into those categories, it has to have an effect. Habits/preferences can reinforce and become self-fulfilling. Which is particularly unfortunate because part of the value of art is the way it opens minds.

The Big Sleep, which I've heard is very confusing. I'm hesitant because I think I'll have no idea what's going on and be compelled to obsess over it, repeatedly re-watch it, draw a chart like the one in that meme with Charlie Day about it, etc. until I do. This is close to my reaction to Memento, FWIW.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
This this the thread for the movies that you are willing to see, but you feel that you will not enjoy them.

Here are mine:

The Grand Illusion(1937) - Two reasons are that I do not like war movies as they usually fly above my head(Patton, Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, even Dr. Strangelove). I despised Blackhawk Down as well. Also because I watched Renoir's other work Rules of the Game and did not like it very much due to being confusing, although I might the second time as I saw other people with the same issues as I had. I kind of picture this to be a Shawshank Redemption/Green Mile like movie though which I like.

Battle of Algiers(1966) - Again, it is a war movie and I just never remember them with the exception of Full Metal Jacket, but the scenes I remembered there were with the drill sergeant. However, I do not know for certain, but I will give a review if I see it... Maybe it will take me to another planet like it did for George Miller. I keep feeling like this is one of those films that people do not enjoy watching, but do so because of its historical merits. I will get back to you.

Chinatown - I would love to see this one, but I accidentally spoiled the ending to this one years ago.

I didn't know a thing about "The Battle of Algiers", and probably rented it at 17 because of the title, and it's still in my Top 5-6 movies.. It's not really a war movie, just like "La Grand Illusion" - no war scenes, but it's a lot of things. Also a 10/10 for me, but it took me two viewings, since the first one was a grainy VHS, and I started it at 4am when I was very, very tired.

This looked like a good channel when I last saw it, too

I didn't know a thing about "The Battle of Algiers", and probably rented it at 17 because of the title, and it's still in my Top 5-6 movies.. It's not really a war movie, just like "La Grand Illusion" - no war scenes, but it's a lot of things. Also a 10/10 for me, but it took me two viewings, since the first one was a grainy VHS, and I started it at 4am when I was very, very tired.

Ok, this is directed to everybody reading this, but I have finally seen Battle of Algiers. See my thoughts here

I've been avoiding Casablanca forever...not really sure why.
You're probably afraid of "hype-creep" (when you've heard about a film your entire life and thus know it probably won't live up to the expectations formed by decades of communication & anticipation).

And that's exactly how Casablanca was for me.
My expectations exceeded my observations (partly because I went into it looking for its "greatness" instead of just sitting back and watching as if it was a movie I just happened to come across & got caught up in).

A good movie. A classic? (according to the world it is, but it's all a matter of perspective).

I probably would have thought it was much better than I did if I'd never heard of it before.

Another problem that adds to this is it's been quoted, spoofed & referenced so many times (and you may not remember all of them, but your subconscious does) that when you finally see the film, you kind of feel like you've already seen it, or at least gotten the gist of it before - which somewhat diminishes the sense of spontaneity.

Once-animated Disney films converted to "live action".

I'm just afraid of disappointment because it seems they can't resist changing things for no other reason than to appeal to whatever agenda happens to be in vogue with even the fringes of society (that, and rampant CGI replacing practical effects that just ends up looking weird or incongruous to the rest of the film when compared to classic, traditional animation).

@Torgo and @Gideon58
What are you guys waiting for? The Big Sleep and Casablanca, those are two of the best movies. You are missing out.
I feel very sorry for you both. This must be rectified.

@Torgo and @Gideon58
What are you guys waiting for? The Big Sleep and Casablanca, those are two of the best movies. You are missing out.
I feel very sorry for you both. This must be rectified.

Just kidding. I may watch it during (plays saxophone solo) Noirvember.

How can anybody who is a movie fan have NOT seen Casablanca and The Big Sleep?

Next thing you know, someone who claims cinematic literacy will say that they never saw The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind. Gotta do those too.

Victim of The Night
Chinatown - I would love to see this one, but I accidentally spoiled the ending to this one years ago. I also did the same to others I have not seen such as Berlin Alexanderplatz, 1984, and Veronika Voss. Although with Seventh Seal, I knew Death would prevail because of the obvious moral of how you can not beat Death. I liked that one though because of the medieval atmosphere and not the obvious moral.
I'm sorry that the end of Chinatown was spoiled for you, it's a helluva reveal, but the movie does not totally ride on it, it is an excellent, excellent film in every aspect. I recommend you watch it anyway.

Victim of The Night
I've been avoiding Casablanca forever...not really sure why.
I put off Casablanca for a long, long time because the hype was just too great (I grew up in the era when it was considered by many to be the best film ever made). I finally watched it one day on a 13-inch TV.
And I rewound it and watched it again. Right then. It's that good.
I had a friend who didn't see it til he was like 40 and he's really not an Old Movie guy and he and I rarely talked about movies, but he called me just to tell me that he had seen Casablanca and he couldn't believe how good it was.
I know I'm not helping by hyping it more but it is just a wonderful film.

Victim of The Night

Next thing you know, someone who claims cinematic literacy will say that they never saw The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind. Gotta do those too.
I've never seen Citizen Kane.

Come at me.

I forgot the opening line.
Martyrs is one hell of a difficult film to watch - but I've seen it at least 3 times because it's a great horror film and great horror films are things to be cherished.

I've been wanting to see The 10 Commandments for a while now, but I'm not religious, and 220 minutes seems to be a long time for someone who doesn't really buy the "true story" aspect of Moses.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I just watched Gone With the Wind (in full) last month!
(I'd seen bits & pieces throughout my life, but never sat down to the watch the whole thing. As a cinematic semi-literate, I considered it my duty to do so!)

I feel like most people have seen The Wizard of Oz BECAUSE it's a kids movie (considered a "must see" by most parents, and when I was young, usually shown on holidays), Bogart movies, on the other hand, may not have been seen by as many people who avoid old or noir movies.

Victim of The Night
Martyrs is one hell of a difficult film to watch - but I've seen it at least 3 times because it's a great horror film and great horror films are things to be cherished.
Well, I expect I agree with you, hence the issue. I believe it will be great but I also believe that it's gonna be a beatdown and I am rarely in the mood for that anymore.
It's al I can do to keep watching my beloved House Of 1,000 Corpses (yes, I know it's only beloved to me) and I had to let go of The Devil's Rejects, and I know there are even rougher films out there that are good films but man do I not need that level of suffering very much.

You're probably afraid of "hype-creep" (when you've heard about a film your entire life and thus know it probably won't live up to the expectations formed by decades of communication & anticipation).

And that's exactly how Casablanca was for me...
The same thing happened to me. Early in my movie watching experience I decided it was time to see one of the 'great movies' Casablanca. I remember after it was over thinking, 'that's it?...it was OK but not that great.' Flash forward several more years and many hundreds of classic movies watched...I watch Casablanca again and see all sorts of brilliance that I hadn't noticed before. So yeah over-hyped expectations can kill a movie watching experience.

I'm sorry that the end of Chinatown was spoiled for you, it's a helluva reveal, but the movie does not totally ride on it, it is an excellent, excellent film in every aspect. I recommend you watch it anyway.
Funny thing is, I watched Chinatown less than a year ago and I couldn't even tell you what the ending was. If it was a big reveal I've totally forgotten about it.

...I've been wanting to see The 10 Commandments for a while now, but I'm not religious, and 220 minutes seems to be a long time for someone who doesn't really buy the "true story" aspect of Moses.
I watch a lot of old religious movies and I'm not religious. I don't view them as a religious thing, I view them as a historical cultural thing.

I forgot the opening line.
Well, I expect I agree with you, hence the issue. I believe it will be great but I also believe that it's gonna be a beatdown and I am rarely in the mood for that anymore.
It's al I can do to keep watching my beloved House Of 1,000 Corpses (yes, I know it's only beloved to me) and I had to let go of The Devil's Rejects, and I know there are even rougher films out there that are good films but man do I not need that level of suffering very much.
It can be kind of exhausting. The first time I watched Martyrs, I was tired and had a headache, because I'd been shocked and horrified so often during it's first 15 or so minutes that the tension would refuse to leave my body - I was constantly tensed up, ready for what came next. Lots of horrible stuff came next, so I was right to be tense, and I tensed up even more. It'll even do that to me somewhat on rewatches.

I watch a lot of old religious movies and I'm not religious. I don't view them as a religious thing, I view them as a historical cultural thing.
I really liked Spartacus and Ben-Hur a lot. I guess, with The 10 Commandments it's more of a Bible story, but yeah - interesting, in the way Egyptian society functions and stuff - I can look at it that way. I really didn't like The Greatest Story Ever Told, which is another one of the reasons I'm hesitant to watch Commandments - but that might just be because it wasn't as good a movie as the others.