Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

Enjoyed " Nymphomaniac: Part 1". Didn't really care for "Part 2". Maybe I shouldn't have watched them back-to-back. Need to revisit "Part 2", just to be fair.

I find Von Trier very hit and miss. Oddly, there is no middle ground. Either I love it or hate it. Can't say that any other director.
I don't know when you last watched Part 1, but if it's still fresh in your head, would you like to be added to the pool of pickers for the next round?

I watched Nymphomaniac Volume 1 today. I enjoyed it. Out of the 5 Von Trier films I have seen, I would rank this one second.

I watched Nymphomaniac Volume 1 today. I enjoyed it. Out of the 5 Von Trier films I have seen, I would rank this one second.
Out of curiosity, what other ones have you seen?

Out of curiosity, what other ones have you seen?
My ranking of the ones I've seen:

1. The House That Jack Built
2. Nymphomaniac volume 1
3. Breaking the Waves
4. Dancer in the Dark
5. The Idiots

Never even heard of this one.
It's excellent. Matt Dillon is fantastic as a brilliant serial killer and the film is really well directed. It's a 9/10 from me and likely won't make my ballot, but I hope it can make the final list. Highly recommended.

As a big fan of The Kingdom series, I have always had time for Lars Von Trier's work, even if it's hit and miss with him at times.
I enjoyed Nymphomaniac Part 1, and could see the subjects it was trying to hit beyond the graphic sex. However, the part two was underwhelming.

I hope people don't skip this just because of the sex.

PS: Melancholia just might make my list. I absolutely love it.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I remember the intense buzz when the Nymphomaniac was released. Of course, these things are highly attractive for the masses and they've crowded the cinema halls. Naturally, we've ignored the film then.
Maybe, it is a good time now to see what is it about. I'll try it this evening or tomorrow.

I remember the intense buzz when the Nymphomaniac was released. Of course, these things are highly attractive for the masses and they've crowded the cinema halls. Naturally, we've ignored the film then.
Maybe, it is a good time now to see what is it about. I'll try it this evening or tomorrow.
Are you saying the theaters are crowded for Nymphomaniac?

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Are you saying the theaters are crowded for Nymphomaniac?
Yes, that's what I'm saying, as far as there still are some movie theaters in existence.
As you probably know, the sex and the forbidden games are universal selling machine. Only Indiana Jones can beat these.
I was shocked when one of our friends' mommy (then 61 years old) visited the theater together with all her office colleagues (mostly females). I guess, this was their first visit of a movie theater in 20 years or something.

I call this Emmanuelle syndrome. Do you know this erotic French film from 1974?
They say, it was one of the highest-grossing films in France back then. It was allowed for broad release here not before 1990 and I remember the crowded theaters.
I just wonder, why is it still like this in 2010's since there are so many erotic TV channels, freely broadcasted during the last decades...

Yes, that's what I'm saying, as far as there still are some movie theaters in existence.
As you probably know, the sex and the forbidden games are universal selling machine. Only Indiana Jones can beat these.
I was shocked when one of our friends' mommy (then 61 years old) visited the theater together with all her office colleagues (mostly females). I guess, this was their first visit of a movie theater in 20 years or something.

I call this Emmanuelle syndrome. Do you know this erotic French film from 1974?
They say, it was one of the highest-grossing films in France back then. It was allowed for broad release here not before 1990 and I remember the crowded theaters.
I just wonder, why is it still like this in 2010's since there are so many erotic TV channels, freely broadcasted during the last decades...
I was ready to disagree but it did pretty darn good for a limited independent release .

I don't remember anyone flocking the theaters for Nymphomaniac , and I'd say it has very little mainstream recognition.

Sounds more like Fifty Shades of Gray

I´ve watched Nymphomaniac part 1.

Still processing it. A bit too graphic for my taste - and there are other Von Tries films I prefer.
My favourite scene was the one with Uma Thurman.

Just finished watching Nymphomaniac. I thought it was fine. Very graphic with the sexual content, but I expected that going into it. I'm still processing my thoughts for the film, but for reasons I can't quite put into words yet, Joe was less interesting of a protagonist than those in some other Von Trier films I'm a fan of (Breaking the Waves, Dancer in the Dark, Dogville, and Melancholia). I can handle watching graphic sexual content if I'm able to have a strong enough emotional impact to other parts of the film, but aside from the middle segment with Jerome, I felt rather distant from Joe throughout most of the film. As a result, I'm not sure I'd watch this again, nor am I eager to check out part 2 anytime soon. On the plus side, I think the film definitely adopts a hypnotic feel as it goes on, with the narration and the cuts to stock footage helping to make the graphic imagery easier to stomach (to a degree). Also, the Bach sequence at the end was very well-done, even though I had seen parts to it before. Though yeah, I've enjoyed other Von Trier films quite a bit more than this one.