The Resident Bitch Prepares for the MoFo 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I think Casey Affleck was improved by being under a sheet (if it was really him under there...) .
Yes, I think from now on he should be neither seen nor heard in all his movies.

I was curious about whether it was really him under there, but according to Wikipedia, it’s him in most scenes. They used the art director in reshoots because he has a similar build.

Happy Death Day (Christopher Landon, 2017)
(Recommended by @MovieFan1988)

I fully expected to hate this Groundhog Day meets slasher movie about a vapid sorority chick who must relive the day of her murder over and over until she figures out who killed her. As expected, it's not at all original. Our protagonist Tree (WTF kind of name is that, anyway?) is a narcissist who eventually sees the error of her ways and finds romance. And, like the killer in Scream, her attacker is a mysterious person in a black hoodie, with a creepy mask and a knife.

But I would be lying if I said I didn't have fun with it. It's funny in parts too and makes for a good bit of mindless entertainment. It has virtually no chance of making my ballot, but I wouldn't rule out a future rewatch and I'm happy to have seen it.

I fully expected to hate this Groundhog Day meets slasher movie about a vapid sorority chick who must relive the day of her murder over and over until she figures out who killed her. As expected, it's not at all original. Our protagonist Tree (WTF kind of name is that, anyway?) is a narcissist who eventually sees the error of her ways and finds romance. And, like the killer in Scream, her attacker is a mysterious person in a black hoodie, with a creepy mask and a knife.

But I would be lying if I said I didn't have fun with it. It's funny in parts too and makes for a good bit of mindless entertainment. It has virtually no chance of making my ballot, but I wouldn't rule out a future rewatch and I'm happy to have seen it.

Yeah, I think it's just a fun movie. The sequel is also pretty fun, though not quite up to the level of the original.

When I heard the lead girl's name was tree I was like that too like wtf lol, but it's probably short for Teresa. I'm glad you had fun watching the movie.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Acts of Vengeance (Isaac Florentine, 2017)

This did not have to clear a high hurdle to make me happy. I wanted and expected a dumbass movie in which Antonio Banderas looks hot and kicks ass. The movie could (and did) have plot holes, clichés, and dei ex machina galore and I wouldn't have cared as long as Antonio was hot and kicking ass. Well... Antonio certainly was looking hot and kicking ass, but here's the problem: Some dumbass decided that it would be a good idea for his character to take a vow of silence. Who the **** wants silent Antonio?! Nobody wants silent Antonio! His voice is one of the hottest things about him! Yeah, we still got it in voiceover narration but damn it, that's not the same and I hate narration anyway!

Stupid, stupid, crap. But he does still look really hot, so there's that.

The Nice Guys (Shane Black, 2016)
(Rewatch)

This is a really fun movie, though it is perhaps a bit overly long and a little convoluted. It's got a great retro vibe to it, lots of atmosphere, and memorable characters. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of Inherent Vice - though that movie is considerably more convoluted than this one. But the main attraction here is the great comedic chemistry between Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling - the former a straight-forward, no bullshit strong-arm guy and the other a bumbling private detective. They are a blast to watch.

I will say that didn't vote for this in the comedy countdown because it'd been too long since I'd last seen it and it's definitely not a lock for this, but it stands a pretty decent chance of making the cut because I do love me some Russell Crowe.

I give a slight edge to Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, but The Nice Guys is also really solid.
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is fun but I'm not crazy about it. I definitely prefer The Nice Guys, but I might be just slightly biased by how much I like Russell Crowe.

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is fun but I'm not crazy about it. I definitely prefer The Nice Guys, but I might be just slightly biased by how much I like Russell Crowe.
That's fair.

I saw Kiss Kiss Bang Bang first, and while I love The Nice Guys it does repeat some things from that earlier film so it doesn't feel quite as fresh to me. Crowe and Gosling are really excellent in the lead roles.

I find both films hilarious. I guess I just quote Kiss Kiss Bang Bang more often ("Who taught you math?!" or "He looked sad!") and I have a lot of fond feelings toward it.

I saw Kiss Kiss Bang Bang first, and while I love The Nice Guys it does repeat some things from that earlier film so it doesn't feel quite as fresh to me. Crowe and Gosling are really excellent in the lead roles.
Chronology could have something to do with my preference as well. I first saw The Nice Guys in the theater in May of 2016, then watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang about 4 months later for the 11th HOF.

Wreck-It Ralph (Rich Moore, 2012)
(Rewatch)

This was not a rewatch that I needed to do. When it became clear that the 2010s were next in line for a countdown, I had absolutely no doubt that Wreck-It Ralph would be on my ballot at a very high rank. I rewatched it because I wanted to. Because I love everything about it.

And I mean everything. Even as someone who isn't really a gamer, the nostalgia factor and all the little references to classic arcade games is incredibly effective and wonderful to see. It also features incredible world building in the fictional games of its central characters. Sugar Rush especially has an incredible amount of tiny details and is filled with little sight gags, plays on words, and puns.

But of course the thing that is most effective is the touching relationship between its two outcast central characters and the way in which bad guy Ralph finds redemption and purpose. It's a movie that makes me laugh, makes me smile, and makes me sob - both tears of joy and tears of great sadness. I've probably watched this movie more times than I can count in the decade since its release, but I don't think I'll ever grow tired of it and I'll be incredibly unhappy if it doesn't make it onto the countdown.

I've dismissed Happy Death Day in the past because it's PG-13 but maybe I should give it a go.

I probably won't watch it again but I loved Wreck-It Ralph.

Love is Strange (Ira Sachs, 2014)

When I first heard about this movie, I thought for sure I would love it. Touching on themes of love, loss, and learning to deal with change, as presented by a very capable cast, should have been a slam dunk. But somehow it wasn’t. Somehow this just seemed to drag, I couldn’t connect, and I found Lithgow’s character’s constant need for human interaction irritating. But all of these are really my problems and not the fault of the movie. It is well acted and tells a very human and authentic story, it’s just not a story that worked for me.

Bridesmaids (Paul Feig, 2011)
(Rewatch)

An estrogen-soaked comedy about a couple of self-centered catty bitches vying for the favor of a bride that stars a bunch of people that I don't give a shit about should not be something I enjoy. I generally dislike live-action comedies, I hate weddings, and I'm a shallow bitch who prefers to watch movies with lots of men. Hot men, in particular, and Bridesmaids lacks hot men.

And the first time I saw it, during its theatrical release, I fully expected to hate it. I thought watching this would be a chore. But it wasn't a chore. I laughed, multiple times even, and I was rooting for Kristen Wiig's Annie to get the guy. Walking out of that theater, I thought surely it must've been a fluke. I must've been in just the right mood for it to work and that the situation certainly wouldn't be repeated. But I watched it again awhile later and somehow got the same result. Tonight's experience was no different.

I still cannot for the life of me explain what the hell about this movie appeals to me, because everything about it says it shouldn't appeal to me, but damn it, I like it. I probably won't end up voting for it, but I like it.

Moana (Ron Clements, Don Hall, John Musker and Chris Williams, 2016)
(Rewatch)

A young not-actually-a-princess-but-is-a-princess voyages across the ocean (which is a living, sentient thing on its own somehow) with a stupid chicken sidekick (the pig was really cute, why TF did we get stuck with the damn chicken?) to find a shapeshifting demigod, so they can battle a giant lava demon and return the stolen "heart" (a glowing green rock) to a giant island goddess and save the not-princess's dying home island. Along the way they will fight a giant coconut crab - who lives in the realm of monsters and likes shiny things (and singing about them) - so that the demigod can get back his magic fishhook that allows him to shapeshift. They will also sing A LOT of songs and the not-princess will get encouragement and support from her dead grandma's manta ray spirit while the demigod will find the same in the little man that lives in his tattoos.

The plot of this movie just sounds stupider and stupider the more I write about it, yet somehow I actually managed to enjoy myself the first time I watched it. Well, I enjoyed myself when they weren't singing anyway - and I will say that the voice acting is solid and the animation is absolutely gorgeous. But every time I watch this movie I like it a little less and at this point I just don't like it anymore.

Love the not a princess but is a princess line. I think it’s very insightful into what’s going on with Disney. At the end if the day Moana is the same formula, for better and worse.

Love the not a princess but is a princess line. I think it’s very insightful into what’s going on with Disney. At the end if the day Moana is the same formula, for better and worse.
Yeah, the only real difference is that there's no prince. Romance is completely removed from the story. Otherwise it's the same old stuff.