Formula 1

Tools    

I follow it casually but haven't watched the full races for several years now. Just read the results and maybe watch the replays of anything interesting. I used to watch it religiously though from about '99 when I got into racing myself at age 10. Since then F1's seen a lot of changes, some good, others not so much.

Favourite driver over the years would be Kimi Räikkönen and was pleased to see him get his championship in '07. No favourites now but I appreciate that all of them have an immense level of talent. As far as this season goes it looks like Max Verstappen's in a commanding position heading for another title. Also quite a few other guys looking like potential future champions. A shame for Leclerc to have so many setbacks this year, it looked quite close at the beginning.

I have great memories as a kid in the mid 2000s waking up on Sunday mornings to watch the race with my father, grandfather, and uncles.

My grandparents were Italian immigrants and huge Ferrari fans of course, so there wasn't a question of who I was going to support. I remember the tail end of Michael Schumacher's reign and Kimi's victory. Since then it's been quite frustrating following Ferrari, unfortunately.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
We went to the first grand prix at the Circuit of the Americas. Set up between turn one and the esses. Watching those cars go through there is something I cannot explain. And the sound. And the sound of that AMG safety car being driven like it was meant to be.

Like most other sports now, I can’t really commit to salting a day away sitting in front of a tv. Happened to watch Monza because it was on right when I got up and was having my coffee.

Would root for Haas if I had to pick, but you’d never see them on tv 😄

I have great memories as a kid in the mid 2000s waking up on Sunday mornings to watch the race with my father, grandfather, and uncles.

My grandparents were Italian immigrants and huge Ferrari fans of course, so there wasn't a question of who I was going to support. I remember the tail end of Michael Schumacher's reign and Kimi's victory. Since then it's been quite frustrating following Ferrari, unfortunately.
The Ferrari supporters during the Schumacher era were something else. They've had some missed opportunities through the Alonso and Vettel years for sure, and that title decider in 2008 with Felipe Massa was insanely close. Good to see them at least being competitive again.

Got back into it this year after a couple years off. Anyone else follow the sport? Favourite drivers/teams?
Don’t follow it per se, but interested in it.

Famous footage from 1991 British Grand Prix where winner Nigel Mansell gives Ayrton Senna a ride home.

Pierre Gasly to Alpine
Nyck de Vries to AlphaTauri
Seems like a good move by Gasly. Think his present tenure is holding him back.

Nyck de Vries: Good to see a newcommer, especially after proving himself recently. Good luck to him.

It's the worst I've ever seen the sport. It's in total disarray. Even when Ferarri and Merc dominated, they would be pushed by others.

Red Bull cheated and are now reaping the benefits. It's a disgrace and has ruined the sport as a contest.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I've been into this during the whole 90's until the very early 2000's.
Started as Nigel Mansell's supporter in his champion season 1992. Then I followed Damon Hill who got the world prize in 1996. Jacques Villeneuve was next in my list of favourites.
I witnessed the Ayrton Senna's crash in 1994. I was in shock the whole week after that.

It's the worst I've ever seen the sport. It's in total disarray. Even when Ferarri and Merc dominated, they would be pushed by others.

Red Bull cheated and are now reaping the benefits. It's a disgrace and has ruined the sport as a contest.
NY Times had a big article about how Formula 1 is really taking off here. Helped I suppose by the Netflix series Formula 1.

I've been into this during the whole 90's until the very early 2000's.
Started as Nigel Mansell's supporter in his champion season 1992. Then I followed Damon Hill who got the world prize in 1996. Jacques Villeneuve was next in my list of favourites.
I witnessed the Ayrton Senna's crash in 1994. I was in shock the whole week after that.
Did you see the Senna documentary? It’s really good.

Amusing bit on YouTube of Mansell giving Senna a ride back to the pit stop if you care to look it up.