Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Phoenix - Powerful drama about a concentration camp survivor trying to rebuild her previous life. Lead performance from Nina Hoss is excellent.

Magical Girl - Brought up during a recent HoF here, it is a neatly directed and shot story about three different characters, each with different struggles, whose paths converge tragically in the end.
Seen those two. They won't make my ballot, but are both different degrees of good.

Magical Girl was Cricket's nom in an HoF, I liked it despite being disturbing at times, my guess is Vicky might like it?
I was also in that HOF.

Magical Girl (Carlos Vermut, 2014)
IMDb

Rewatch: No.

If I had been watching this movie for my own purposes, I never would've finished it. That first hour or so was an absolute chore. It was so cold and so off-putting that I watched it in tiny fragments over the course of several days. I hated it. But somehow the film pulled off a miracle in the second half and I was drawn in and fully engaged by the way all the characters' stories collided together, even if I didn't really understand Damian's motivations.

That huge disparity in my enjoyment of the two halves of the film leaves me feeling pretty neutral to the film as a whole and I will probably never watch it again.

-

A few on my list of contenders I haven't seen mentioned yet-

The Town (2010)

Patriot's Day (2016)

Hounds of Love (2016)

Nothing Bad Can Happen (2013)

We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011)

Trauma (2017)

Skin (2018)

Overlord (2018)

Widows (2018)

Sleep Tight (2011)

The Golden Glove (2019)

The Nightingale (2018)

Quo Vado (2016)

Bellflower (2011)

Mommy (2014)

Red, White and Blue (2010)

Tyrannosaur (2011)

Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)

The Loved Ones (2012)

Kkdnapped (2010)

Piranha 3D (2010)

Few foreign recommendations

From the makers of Dark series
Das letzte Schweigen aka The Silence

A Greek thriller Eteros Ego aka The Other Me

A brilliant take on voting in conflict zones Newton

A light comedy Extreme Job

A few on my list of contenders I haven't seen mentioned yet-
The Loved Ones (2012)
As much as I like this film
WARNING: "How much I like it" spoilers below
(and I do - it was #14 on my 2000s ballot)
please don't waste a vote on it for this as it was actually a 2009 release

As much as I like this film
WARNING: "How much I like it" spoilers below
(and I do - it was #14 on my 2000s ballot)
please don't waste a vote on it for this as it was actually a 2009 release

Here are some 2012 films I like which may make my ballot:

Django Unchained (not my favorite 2010-era Tarantino, but still really good)
Skyfall (a very good Bond film)
Moonrise Kingdom (not my favorite Wes Anderson film of the 2010s, but still really good)
Dredd (one of the best action films of the decade)
The Master (don't remember this one too well, but I remember enjoying it)
Frances Ha (a very good character study)
The Act of Killing (a harrowing documentary with a terrific final act and ending)
Leviathan (not for everyone, but I really loved all the imagery in this)

Hey, what's that on your face...
Out of curiosity, what are some divisive films from the 2010s you guys genuinely love?
These are some I like that seem to be 50/50 splits:

Scream 4
Green Lantern (Martin Campbell fan)
Killing Them Softly
The Counselor
Under the Skin
Only God Forgives (didn't get as much attention as Drive)
American Sniper
Interstellar
Batman v Superman (prefer the U.E.)
Mother!
It Comes at Night
Vice

Scream 4
Killing Them Softly
The Counselor
Under the Skin
American Sniper
Interstellar
Mother!
It Comes at Night
Vice
Loved Interstellar and It Comes at Night

Hated Killing Them Softly, Under the Skin, Only God Forgives and Mother!.

Was only in the middle with American Sniper and The Counselor.

Scream 4
Killing Them Softly
The Counselor
Under the Skin
American Sniper
Interstellar
Mother!
It Comes at Night
Vice
I enjoyed Scream 4, American Sniper, Interstellar, Batman v Superman, Mother! and Vice. I didn't like Under the Skin and Green Lantern. Haven't seen the other ones you mentioned yet.

Under the Skin
Interstellar
It Comes at Night
I've seen the following. I really like Under the Skin and It Comes at Night. Didn't care for Green Lantern and Interstellar.

Ok, before Storm Fiona takes my power, here are my "left field" recommendations for 2015...

Mustang - Turkish film about five orphaned sisters struggling with the repressive upbringing of their grandmother and uncle. Pretty good drama with good performances and effective emotional moments.

The Invitation - Slow burning psychological thriller about a man bringing up his new girlfriend to a dinner party with friends at her ex-wives house. Slowly things start to unravel because of suspicion, guilt, and God knows what else.

The Blackcoat's Daughter - Directed by Oz Perkins, Anthony's son, this one follows two girls left alone at their prep school during winter when one of them starts being haunted by an evil presence. This is another effective slow burner that kinda creeps under your skin.

The Wave - Norwegian disaster movie about a geologist trying to warn the people in his small town about the potential of a fjord collapsing and causing a huge wave, while also protecting his own family. Extremely intense and edge-of-your-seat, even if there are some dumb-ish moments here and there.

Remember - Directed by Atom Egoyan, it follows a concentration camp survivor (Christopher Plummer) that embarks on a quest to track the Nazis that killed his family in Auschwitz. Don't expect something like Taken, because it is something more introspective and realistic.

Crush the Skull - Another one that I'm sure Takoma will enjoy to see mentioned, this is a fun horror comedy about a group of young thieves that decide to rob a secluded house, not knowing that it is the lair of a serial killer. Good balance between horror/gore and humor, neither of which goes overboard.

Out of curiosity, what are some divisive films from the 2010s you guys genuinely love?

Some of my picks would be:

A Ghost Story
Holy Motors
Love those two. Both are pretty much locks on my list.

Us seems to be a bit divisive, but it's a
for me, and most surely a lock for my list.

I thought Luce was great and I was surprised why I hadn't heard/read much about it, but it seems that it wasn't that well received.

How about the mother of all divisiveness? The Last Jedi?

I really liked:

Spring Breakers
Knight of Cups
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Ghostbusters (2016)
The Neon Demon
Mother!
Borderline disliked Spring Breakers, but liked Ghostbusters. Haven't seen the others.

Green Book...that's the only divisive movie I've seen.
I liked Green Book quite a bit.
Meh. I thought it was just OK. Think I rated it
. It has issues, but nothing that we haven't seen before in Hollywood. I will probably never see it again, but I neither disliked it, nor care that much for it.

Two other divisive films that I like are Noah and Prometheus.
Liked Noah, despite some issues.

Prometheus was a mixed bag for me. I feel it has some interesting ideas, and the character of David is intriguing... but the execution of some of the story and character beats was poor. Overall, a disappointment for me.

Guess I need to stop listening to pretentious podcasts and spend more time back on mofo.
HEEEYY!! Ohh, it wasn't mine, right. Sorry