Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

A few docs/biographies that I found of interest during the decade:

(Your taste may vary)

I just thought of an idea for this countdown, but I figured I'd post about it here first to see if anyone is interested in it:

My idea is to start a separate group watch thread for this countdown. The host will nominate a film from the 2010s, the participants will have about 3-4 days to watch it, and to state that they watched the film in the thread. You're not required to review the film though. I mean, you can if you want to, but simply writing something like "I just watched XX and really enjoyed it" should suffice. Afterwards, the host would use a random number generator to pick the next person to nominate a film (provided the person watched your nomination and hasn't nominated a film yet) and the process would repeat. This would last till the deadline for this thread (or close to it).

In short, it's similar to a Hall of Fame, except it requires far less effort.

I'm sure many of us will be voting for some obscure films which not many MoFos have seen, so participating in that thread might be a good way to increase the likelihood of your film making the countdown.

But of course, I'm aware that many of us already have watchlists to get through before the deadline, so I don't know how many people would be willing to participate. I'll see what you all think though.
Sounds like a good idea. I would be interested in that.

More of my "left field" recommendations, now for 2012...

A Late Quartet - If you're a fan of Philip Seymour Hoffman, I think this is a must. A very adult-oriented drama about the egos and frustrations of the four members of a string quartet.

The Attack - Interesting and thought-provoking drama about a man trying to figure out why his wife was responsible in a suicide attack in Israel/Palestine, while also trying to cope with grief. Very introspective and engaging.

What Maisie Knew - A touching drama about a young child being pushed and pulled between her quarreling parents. I liked how the film tried to put the audience in the perspective of the child, instead of trying to explain the parents' sides.

Chained - A cab-driving serial killer kidnaps a 9-year old kid and turns him into his servant/assistant. Disturbing from a psychological aspect, but with some excellent performances, especially by Vincent D'Onofrio as the killer. Directed by Jennifer Lynch, David's daughter.

Arbitrage - And since we were speaking about Brit Marling yesterday, here's one where she acts, but doesn't direct. A drama about a business man (Richard Gere) that finds himself in the middle of a compromising accident that threatens to expose the corruption in his company.

Any Day Now - This one might've appealed to me more personally, but I thought it was very moving, touching, and tragic. It follows a gay couple (Alan Cumming and Garret Dillahunt) in the late 70's that find themselves in charge of a 14-year-old kid with Down Syndrome, when his drug-addicted mother ends up in jail. But their desire to have custody of the kid in court is met with the discrimination of the times.

Also...

Compliance - One that I will probably bring up in my "left field" recommendations. It's one of the most uncomfortable film-watching experiences I've had, made only worst by the realization that it all happened in real life. Ann Dowd is excellent in it.

Good time was a really good movie. I went to it, after I enjoyed Uncut Gems.
Would you say it was, uhh, a "good time"?

Chained - A cab-driving serial killer kidnaps a 9-year old kid and turns him into his servant/assistant. Disturbing from a psychological aspect, but with some excellent performances, especially by Vincent D'Onofrio as the killer. Directed by Jennifer Lynch, David's daughter.
That one won't make my ballot, but it's pretty good.

Is this a dark comedy akin to "God Bless America"? If so, I'm in! Vincent is one of my top five actors.

Is this a dark comedy akin to "God Bless America"? If so, I'm in! Vincent is one of my top five actors.
Psychological horror/thriller, but like I said, Vincent is the highlight.

just writing down the films that immediately jumped out at me and ended up with exactly 25 so maybe i'll just put those in order and submit the ballot instead of overthinking it and get this wrapped up early.

I watched Pariah (2011) today on the Criterion channel. I would definitely recommend it. It features an excellent performance by Adepero Oduye and some powerful moments.

Looking forward to this. Good luck, and nice graphics for the opening post. I'll get watching

A rough watchlist:

The Turin Horse
First Cow
The Great Beauty
Oslo, August 31st
Cold War, Ida
Amour
Toni Erdmann
Barbara, Phoenix, Transit
The Immigrant
Tangerine, The Florida Project
A Touch of Sin, Mountains May Depart
Jauja
Madeline's Madeline
One More Time with Feeling
Moonlight
An Elephant Sitting Still
Embrace of the Serpent
Tabu
Carol
The Act of Killing, The Look of Silence
Zama
The Assassin
Winter Sleep, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, The Wild Pear Tree
Leviathan
A Hidden Life
Burning
Southwest
The Wailing
Blue is the Warmest Colour
The Second Game, Infinite Football

Here are some movies from 2010 I really like which might make my ballot:

Black Swan (not quite my favorite Aronofsky, but it's a very good psychological thriller)
The Social Network (for some reason, I thought I would be underwhelmed by this, but I was glad to be proven wrong)
Toy Story 3 (I don't know that any animated films will make my ballot, but if any do, this will be one of the top contenders)
127 Hours (probably the best survival film of the 2010s, or at least from what I've seen)
Exit Through the Gift Shop (this one was somewhere in the middle of the 2010s list I made a few years ago, so it should probably make my ballot here as well)
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (not quite my favorite Weerasethakul film, but it's up there for sure)
Certified Copy (I'll probably write some thoughts on this in the Group Watch thread sometime today; speaking of which, you should all join it )
Restrepo (don't remember this one too well, tbh, but I really dug it for showing just as much of the mundanities as the harrowing bits of war)
I'm Here (this is a actually a 30 minute short film, but I found it very moving; if a choose a short film for my ballot, this will likely be my top pick)

My "left field" recommendations for the day, now for 2013...

Ida - From the director of Cold War, and slightly better if you ask me. It's beautifully shot and acted, and with a powerful message.

Enough Said - Just saw this last month, and actually posted my review yesterday. Simple story but so well told and well acted.

Upstream Color - If you can tolerate mind-bendy "abstract" films, I think this is a great one.

The Lunchbox - Oh, I love this romantic film. So beautiful, very adult and well acted.

Coherence - Speaking of "mind-bendy" films, this one is definitely more straightforward than Upstream Color, but still one that leaves you thinking about it... and on a very small budget.

Enemy - My second favorite Villeneuve and yet another one that can be filed under "mind-bendy". Gyllenhaal is great in a dual role, but it's another one that sticks with you.

Stoker - I feel I need to rewatch this, but I still found it so visually stunning and neatly acted.

Also...

I'm gonna cheat in the last one, but Nightcrawler, Blue Jasmine, and Inside Llewyn Davis are all a showcase of their respective leading stars (Gyllenhaal, Blanchett, and Isaac). Blanchett's is on my Top 5 of Oscar-winning performances, while I consider it a travesty that Gyllenhaal wasn't nominated by this. Knowing you, I think the first two would be the ones that appeal more to you, but I could be wrong.

Upstream Color - If you can tolerate mind-bendy "abstract" films, I think this is a great one.

Enemy - My second favorite Villeneuve and yet another one that can be filed under "mind-bendy". Gyllenhaal is great in a dual role, but it's another one that sticks with you.
Upstream Color is a lock for my top 10. When I made a list over three years ago, Enemy barely made it at #25. It might get booted off of my updated list, but it's still great.