Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

CERTIFIED COPY 'Copie conforme' 2010

Interesting subject matter, reminded me at times of Orson Welles ‘Vérités et Mensonges’ F for Fake '73. The acting in multiple languages, very impressive by both of the leads. Tuscany is a magnificent filming location, hope to visit the region soon.

I watched Certified Copy pretty recently and it's really strong.

I will say though (I'm sure to the annoyance of people who are fans of it), that I felt like I connected with it more on a technical level than on a personal or ~spiritual~ level, or however you want to distinguish between films that are great and films that are favorites.

I watched Certified Copy pretty recently and it's really strong.

I will say though (I'm sure to the annoyance of people who are fans of it), that I felt like I connected with it more on a technical level than on a personal or ~spiritual~ level, or however you want to distinguish between films that are great and films that are favorites.

Nah, that sounds about right to me.

This obviously shouldn't dissuade anyone from seeing it. And it's a much friendlier watch than some of his other films. But he's never going to beat Close Up or Where Is The Friends House. Those two are for the ages. Those two alone make him one of the greats of modern(ish) cinema

I'll add my own sacrilege just for fun and say I have never really understood the greatness of Binoche. Like, at all.

Btw, do you guys think 4 days is fine, or do you think we could shorten the deadline to 3 days? Just want to give us all enough time to watch the film.

Nah, that sounds about right to me.

This obviously shouldn't dissuade anyone from seeing it. And it's a much friendlier watch than some of his other films. But he's never going to beat Close Up or Where Is The Friends House. Those two are for the ages. Those two alone make him one of the greats of modern(ish) cinema

I'll add my own sacrilege just for fun and say I have never really understood the greatness of Binoche. Like, at all.
Out of curiosity, have you seen A Moment of Innocence? It's similar to Close-Up in the sense that it combines narrative and documentary filmmaking, but even though it's less well-known, I greatly prefer it.

Out of curiosity, have you seen A Moment of Innocence? It's similar to Close-Up in the sense that it combines narrative and documentary filmmaking, but even though it's less well-known, I greatly prefer it.

You know what, I'm not sure. I think probably not. I'll keep that in mind

Also, it looks like Allaby, MovieMeditation, John-Connor, and Takoma11 are the current candidates for picking the next film, unless I'm missing anyone (generally, if you watched the film recently, you should be fine).

Btw, do you guys think 4 days is fine, or do you think we could shorten the deadline to 3 days? Just want to give us all enough time to watch the film.
Here's a thought (just a thought!):

What if you keep the time to 4 days, but when it's someone's turn to nominate a film they nominate a film and also an "honorable mention"?

That way someone with less free time has 4 days to watch the film, but someone with more time (or who has already seen the main nomination) has another one to tackle?

Then again, this is a pretty low-pressure thread because there aren't really obligations beyond participating to the extent you want. If you wanted to shorten the timeline to 3 days people could still use the thread as motivation and/or a place to chat about what they're watching.

3 days is fine with me.

What if you keep the time to 4 days, but when it's someone's turn to nominate a film they nominate a film and also an "honorable mention"?

That way someone with less free time has 4 days to watch the film, but someone with more time (or who has already seen the main nomination) has another one to tackle?

Then again, this is a pretty low-pressure thread because there aren't really obligations beyond participating to the extent you want. If you wanted to shorten the timeline to 3 days people could still use the thread as motivation and/or a place to chat about what they're watching.
Decent suggestion. For now though, I mainly just want to see if this thread idea gets enough user participation before I start adding more rules onto it. I may keep that in mind later on though.

Certified Copy (2010)

That scene in the small cafe towards the end of the film was my favorite scene. It's the scene where Juliette Binoche gets to shine the most. I've seen her in a few things and she's usually good. Apparently I've seen William Shimell before, but I didn't remember him. Maybe because his character doesn't seem to have much warmth but then again that's part of the story.

I wasn't much into the story to be honest. I did like the sneak peak at Tuscany. The country side with the gently curving hills covered in silvery gray olive trees that dot the landscape was quite lovely to look at especially with the juxdapostion of those statuesque cypress trees lining the road. That was a thing of beauty, so was Juliette after she gets all dolled up for her husband who promptly doesn't notice her efforts.

It was curious that at one point she goes into a church to remove her bra, is that like an Italian thing. But what was really ironic was that I had noticed how sloppy she looked with her bra straps showing under her top. I guess that was by design.

I can't compare Certified Copy to any of Abbas Kiarostami other films as I haven't seen any others.

Thanks SpelingError

^ My fav scene was at the cafe where they drink coffee/cappucino and the older lady says;
'It'd be stupid of us to ruin our lives for an ideal.' great line!

Also, it looks like Allaby, MovieMeditation, John-Connor, and Takoma11 are the current candidates for picking the next film, unless I'm missing anyone (generally, if you watched the film recently, you should be fine).
Dude!

Also availability of the film might be an issue. The movie I want to suggest might not be easily available, so I might present an alternative.

I won't write this much for every film in this thread (reminder that nobody here is required to write a review for any of the nominations), but I watched this film for the first time about 2-3 weeks ago and really dug it. It starts out as a conventional drama which seems to be leading to a romance between the two leads, but once you get to the halfway point, the film suddenly turns into magic realism as the two of them start talking like they were a married couple for many years. I really enjoyed this premise as it definitely created a ton of intrigue over where the story was going. The pacing has a nice flow and I felt it was really enjoyable to watch its story unfold. It's the kind of film where I loved spending time with the two leads.

I guess my only nitpick is that I'm not sure what the correlation was between the writer's thesis on the authenticity of art and the premise of the film. Given the Criterion poster for the film, I'm guessing the versions of the two leads in the second half are supposed to be different copies of the leads in the first half, but this still seems to be barely scratching the surface of the ideas brought up in the writer's essay. I suppose it's not a huge deal though. I think my main takeaway with this though is, for a movie which argues that authenticity in art is irrelevant, it's far more unique than most films I've seen.

8/10 (it'll probably make my ballot)

Watching it tonight. But I thought I was part of this thing.
And no need to apologise.
Aye gotcha. I was just referring to them as the people who've already watched the film. Glad to have you on board as well though