Films where actor plays more than one character

Tools    

Excluding alter-egos like Jekyll and Hyde or clones:

- Rory Kinnear as all the inhabitants of the village in Men
- Ralph Fiennes as Ignatz Sonnenchein/Adam Sors/Ivan Sors in Sunshine
- Juliette Binoche as Cathy/Cathy's daughter in Wuthering Heights

More suggestions please! I know there's quite a few twin examples (e.g Jeremy Irons in Dead Ringers).

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
A lot of Eddie Murphys films have him playing multiple characters. Also Michael J Fox played a couple of different characters in BTTF.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

Split
Bedazzled (2000)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Well, there's the whole (coincidental) doppleganger thing as well, such as Zulawski's Possession or Hamaguchi's Asako I & II.
Granted, there's also a bit of the doppleganger thing going on in Soderberg's Schizopolis.

Though none of these really would fit something like a Strangelove/Mars Attacks multiple roles type of situation.

The confusing example is Paul Dano in There Will be Blood.

Confusing as in, never made sense as to why PTA made that decision and the first time I watched it, was unclear if it was supposed to be two actual human beings.

Before Night Falls

Johnny Depp plays Bon Bon (a cross-dressing inmate) and Lieutenant Victor (who is a guard or a police officer or something? It's been a long time since I watched it, so I don't remember the specifics). IIRC, the characters are totally unrelated.

Dabney Coleman in Cloak & Dagger

Olivia de Havilland as twins in The Dark Mirror (1946).

Deborah Kerr plays three characters in The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943).

I just watched Candy for the second Hall of Infamy, and John Astin plays both Candy's father and Candy's slightly lecherous uncle.

In Once Upon a Time in Mexico Depp plays both a main character and does a weird cameo as a priest taking confession. Very confusing, because it's obviously Depp and at first I thought the idea was that the priest was his character in an oddly elaborate disguise.

In most adaptations of Peter Pan, the actor playing the father also plays Captain Hook.

Cloud Atlas is a film where there are multiple storylines and the main characters in each are played by the same actors/actresses. It was interesting to see Hugo Weaving be a villain in all the storylines, especially when he was a very prim British lady Lol

I'm actually gonna call this one as being on the fence.
Is it one movie? Yes, officially. But it's a trilogy of three separate and unrelated stories wherein Karen Black stars in each. It's slightly different than when an actor portrays multiple characters within the same story.

Why does this matter?
It totally doesn't. I just enjoy commenting on totally inconsequential minutia.

I'm actually gonna call this one as being on the fence.
Is it one movie? Yes, officially. But it's a trilogy of three separate and unrelated stories wherein Karen Black stars in each. It's slightly different than when an actor portrays multiple characters within the same story.

Why does this matter?
It totally doesn't. I just enjoy commenting on totally inconsequential minutia.

I am not going to argue with you, because you're right. I just wanted to mention the film, because I think that Zuni fetish doll is horrifying and hilarious.

The trick is not minding
Peter Sellers in Dr Strangelove

Speaking of doppelgängers, I think Images dealt with that, iirc.

Lost Highway I think had Patricia Arquette in two roles? It’s been over 20 years since I’ve seen that.

Peter Sellers in Dr Strangelove

Speaking of doppelgängers, I think Images dealt with that, iirc.

Lost Highway I think had Patricia Arquette in two roles? It’s been over 20 years since I’ve seen that.

You are correct.

I am not going to argue with you, because you're right. I just wanted to mention the film, because I think that Zuni fetish doll is horrifying and hilarious.
That thing scared the $#&% out of me when I was a kid.