A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Go see Barbarian and see it blind. 4.5/5
This is literally the exact same thing I saw Edgar Wright saying on Twitter, I will doubly take it to heart now. Though I may be waiting til later in the year to see it because a friend and I usually have a horror movie watching day in December and this is a potential for that day.

Go see Barbarian and see it blind. 4.5/5
But how can you see the movie if you see it blind?

This is literally the exact same thing I saw Edgar Wright saying on Twitter, I will doubly take it to heart now. Though I may be waiting til later in the year to see it because a friend and I usually have a horror movie watching day in December and this is a potential for that day.
Then I hope you're able to avoid spoilers until that day! Any other movies y'all are eying?

But how can you see the movie if you see it blind?
I clearly meant that one must stand outside a window and watch through the blinds. To explain why that enhances the experience would be a spoiler.

I clearly meant that one must stand outside a window and watch through the blinds.
Oh, you mean how we normally go to the movies?

Oh, you mean how we normally go to the movies?
Yes. It's very important to have a normal viewing experience at the theater as Christopher Nolan demands.

Yes. It's very important to have a normal viewing experience at the theater as Christopher Nolan demands.
“It’s great to be back in a theatre!” - Tom Cruise, standing in the bushes outside his neighbour’s window

“The movies are back!” - Tom Cruise, standing in the bushes outside his neighbour’s window
"I framed these Imax shots to only been seen through venetian blinds. Anything else is like having a speedboat in a bathtub." -Denis Villeneuve

Today I watched The Boy (2016) for the second time. The reviews aren't great and my Letterboxd friends don't seem impressed either so why do I like it? Do I....do I have s---ty taste in movies? That can't be it. Yall would tell me, right?

Today I watched The Boy (2016) for the second time. The reviews aren't great and my Letterboxd friends don't seem impressed either so why do I like it? Do I....do I have s---ty taste in movies? That can't be it. Yall would tell me, right?
I really like The Boy. *shrug*

Good atmosphere. Nice story ambiguity at certain points.

Though, I've watched Willy's Wonderland three times, so . . .

One thing I would've changed, or handled differently---

Tonight I'm going with the 2020 sequel, but my expectations are not high.

One thing I would've changed, or handled differently---

Agreed. The intrigue in the film is
WARNING: spoilers below
whether Brahms is a spirit or is an actual person. Once that is answered, it all goes a bit downhill. Honestly, him killing the abusive ex was the climax for me and the rest was just rote horror stuff.

Tonight I'm going with the 2020 sequel, but my expectations are not high.
I haven't had much interest in it. You'll have to let me know if it's worth a watch. Although, whoa, starring Katie Holmes?

Dude, I like The Boondock Saints. This is a judgment free zone.

Right, guys?

I liked the set up. I liked the premise. But once everything is established, it just slowly became the kind of film I'm generally bored with. Just kinda standard stuff

I think I gave it a two and a half out of five which doesn't mean I hated it. It's two where I start getting irritated with a movie. That extra half a star means at no point did I grow angry at it.

The trick is not minding

Willy’s Wonderland is fun to watch.

I haven't had much interest in it. You'll have to let me know if it's worth a watch. Although, whoa, starring Katie Holmes?
So, for obvious reasons they had to take this one in a more supernatural direction and that sort of robbed it of what made the first one unique. Watching Brahms turn his head on-camera eliminates any sense of mystery and just gives everything a layer of cheese that the first one avoided. This also means we are treated (?) to a greatest-hits collection of supernatural movie cliches.
Kid who keeps a sketchbook full of advanced-for-his-age Francis Bacon-esque drawings of violence? Check.
Mom who conducts an extraordinarily fruitful Google search of the house (and doll!)? Check.
(I mean seriously, you would NOT believe how much stuff she found on Google. The entire history of the house AND Brahms was revealed in one 5-minute sitting).
You get the picture.

Not the worst thing I've seen (how's that for an endorsement?) and it was over before I knew it, but easily avoided until you've watched literally everything else.

The most intriguing element of Brahms: The Boy II is the fact that at no time does anyone address the nightmarish mural on this kid's wall. It's just....there and nobody talks about it.

Then I hope you're able to avoid spoilers until that day! Any other movies y'all are eying?
I am very interested in both Dawn Breaks Behind the Eye, which I think hit streaming a little earlier this year, and Saloum, which hit streaming just this weekend. Though again both may wait until the end of the year horrorthon for me.

They should have called it THE BOII. Thrown in a Flavor Flav cameo for the fans. Maybe more people would have liked it then.

The most intriguing element of Brahms: The Boy II is the fact that at no time does anyone address the nightmarish mural on this kid's wall. It's just....there and nobody talks about it.

LOL. That's incredible.