Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

Alphaville is appealing like some strange dish in a 5 star restaurant, you don't know if you should eat it or not but it does look intriguing laying on your plate. It's one film I'd like to watch again as it didn't gel with me and yet I'm still interested in exploring it...or maybe it's just Anna Karina.

Dead Man
I thought highly of it and I've been meaning to see more of Jarmusch's work ever since.

I seen Secrets and Lies in an old HoF, I liked it well enough but it's been a long time.

I love Godard, but Alphaville is one of his weakest films. I've seen 17 Godard films and Alphaville would be in the bottom 3. I still rated it a 6/10 though.

...Luckily the final act is strong enough to overcome such a blow, with an appropriate concluding scene that ends All About Eve on an absolutely fantastic image.
I've only seen All About Eve once but it's the one film that got me into watching classic movies. If it wasn't for me watching All About Eve years ago I'd never would've known MoFo even existed. In a way that movie changed my life, not by any of it's content but by making a classic film lover out of me. But not my choice for you.

*Oh and I can't begin to remember what that last scene was? Don't tell me! I'll just have to watch it again.

All About Eve is one of the greatest films ever made. Maybe the best script ever period.
Geez it's been almost 20 years since my one and only viewing of All About Eve, I'm so due for a rewatch...too many movies!

I watched Wolf Children (2012) today. This was a good pick for me because I like animated films and I like cute children that look like wolves. Also, I look like a wolf myself most of the time. I enjoyed this quite a bit. The animation is beautiful and really well done. The character design is cute and the characters are interesting and likeable. It was a nice story and told in an effective way. There are some wonderful, lovely scenes and delightful moments. Somewhat surprisingly, this is the first film I have seen by Mamoru Hosoda. I will have to check out more of his stuff. My guess is that Cricket picked it for me. And if it wasn't Cricket, then it was likely Citizen Rules. Or CosmicRunaway. Or someone else. Anyway, good pick. Glad I watched it.

All About Eve (1950)
Directed by: Joseph L. Mankiewicz
Starring: Anne Baxter, Bette Davis, George Sanders

All About Eve is full of self-obsessed characters who aren't particularly likeable, but are all incredibly compelling to watch. The story is a timeless tale of back-stabbing, manipulation, and personal aspirations. Many who have worked in the entertainment industry, be it on stage or in film, will find the quarrels and character dynamics quite familiar. The rivalry between the theatre and Hollywood is referenced many times as well, typically in a quick, yet witty manner.

There's a fair amount of humour to be found in the dialogue, which is immediately evident in George Sanders' opening narration. His rather scathing commentary and inflated ego sets the perfect tone for the film that follows. His voice is also incredibly easy to listen to, and I enjoyed every time he was on screen. Some of the performances are a little over-the-top, but in exactly the right manner for a story that features stage actors. Bette Davis was every bit as entertaining as she was overly dramatic. A very static camera, which is often a negative point in many films, is used rather successfully in
All About Eve, since it is reminiscent of the theatre - a prominent part of the main characters' lives.

While the film tackles a lot of classic female tropes with a modicum of grace and sophistication, such as an aging star who feels threatened by others, and a sweet girl whose outward persona is just a facade, it also promotes uncomfortably sexist, patriarchal notions. Margo's speech in the car about how a woman can never be complete without a husband, and that any who prioritize their careers over a man are lesser creatures nearly derailed the rest of the film for me. Luckily the final act is strong enough to overcome such a blow, with an appropriate concluding scene that ends
All About Eve on an absolutely fantastic image.

WARNING: spoilers below
I also love the climactic scene with Addison DeWitt, where it's revealed that, regardless of how hard the actors/actresses plot to get ahead of each other, they'll always be under control of their higher-ups.

I liked Alphaville but don't remember much about it.

Seen All About Eve a few times, always a good watch.

Wolf Children is one of my favorite animations. It was my back up pick for Allaby. Fortunately my first choice wasn't taken or I would've needed a back up to my back up.

The Madness of King George (1994)

I really enjoyed watching The Madness of King George. My wife liked this movie too which is also a bonus as we always watch movies together. Luckily we have very similar taste in movies

Unlike Cricket, I do love period piece dramas especially about British royalty. I like seeing the palace intrigue, the historical sets and the amazing costumes and if it's a PG-13 film all the better. I've seen a lot of movies about the British Royals and documentaries too. I've even seen Helen Mirren in The Queen (2006) twice...but I'd not heard of The Madness of King George before, so very happy to see it chose for me.

I won't analyze every aspect of film making here as to me what stood out was an interesting story based on historical facts and those amazing sets & costumes. I dig that women in the royal court wore those giant gray wigs and looked good too!

Fun movie!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Madness of King George 1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	88812   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Madness of King George 2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	88813   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Madness of King George 3.png
Views:	119
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	88814  

The trick is not minding
The Lives of Others
*warning, this review will involve personal family history, as watching the film I can’t separate my thoughts between the film itself, and tales involving my grandfather*

Living in East Germany before the unification was a dark time. Secret police. Illegal wiretapping. No free speech. My mother was lucky that her father, a German soldier of both WW1 (as a teenager) and WW2 (by this time in his late 30’s early 40’s, spirited them to West Germany before the wall was built. I think he may have been trying to hide from the Russians (a complicated story in itself involving his brother, my great uncle, but I digress)

By my mothers accounts he was a bitter man, after the war, especially towards Americans but also towards the Wall. It separated him from his family, brothers and sisters. I’m also sure he would have preferred East Germany, and it’s oppressive nature. He would have fit in well, sadly. Never questioning orders, but serving them for His Country.

I bring up that little bit of personal family history because I thought often about him, watching this movie. Captain Wiesel could have easily been someone like my grand father. Never questioning orders, always suspicious of others, and not above using illegal tactics to being about a conviction.

He’s assigned to spy on Georg Dreymond, a idealistic prominent figure in the theater. He brings up his own suspicions, privately, before a Minister also requests them to do so. The Minister has ulterior motives, as he wants Dreymonds girlfriend, the beautiful actress Maria, for himself, but needs Dreymond out of the way. So Wiesler spends his days listening to them, and gets to know them on a personal level.

At some point, he begins to sympathize with Dreymond. The change is slow, and sure. He starts to question why they do what they do? A dangerous proposition for a man in his line of work.
The main turning point seemed to be when a small child ask him if he is a Stasi, the secret police, stating innocently his father has warned of them being bad. Wiesler starts to ask for the child’s fathers name, but stops, as if to realize he has gone to far. This leads him to start looking at Dreymond differently. Perhaps it started sooner, when he realized how men like the Minister used their power to ruin a man just because he covets his girlfriend.

The Girlfriend….of course she isn’t just any girl. She’s a well known actress, but also very fragile. She has a drug problem, and is concerned about her career. Her tale is all the more tragic when she makes a fateful decision that changes….well, nothing. Her scene with The Minister earlier in the film is veritas emotionally, as we see her face, conflicted but also frightened of what this man is capable of. She gives into him, but not without guilt. But it is this guilt that leads to another decision that shows how the Stasi ruined lives in the name of duty.

Which connects them to the Nazis before them. And my thoughts on my grand father. Was he the kind of man who could have changed his world view, after witnessing the damage they had wrought? Would he have been capable of such thought? Or was he, by that age during WW2, too old and stuck in his ways to make any kind of personal reflection. Would he have dared? Wiesler finds the courage to do so.

An older man, perhaps in his 30’s, Wiesler is alone, and lonely. He has no friends, trusts no one, and suspects all. His only form of what passes as a “relationship”, is when he occasionally hires a prostitute. Sad stuff. In his line of work, he can’t afford friends.

Dreymond is his opposite. Respected by his peers, he also avoids speaking out against the regime. As such, he has avoided any suspicion, and lives comfortably, even while his friend, Jerska is black listed. He prefers to not rattle the cage, until a personal tragedy propels him and his like minded friends to action.

Watching this film, which is great, made me think often about that time, and my mothers family. I remember when the wall came down, and the next year, after not seeing them for over 20 years after arriving in the US, her brother and sister visited us with their children. I was too young to understand the relevance. The scene when they all walk out after hearing The Wall has come down was to them, a signal that things were about to change.

If there is one small issue it is that the films ending does tend to go a tad too long, or maybe I’m just being too nit picky.

Regardless, this is a great film that affected me on a personal level, and also a fantastic morality tale about what one man can do when he must make a decision between duty and ethics.

@Wyldesyde19
I always like reviews that include one's personal take on the film, nicely written So I gather some of your grandfather's relatives remained behind the wall in East Germany? I can't image what that would've been like. Have you seen other films about East Germany? I can only think of three that I've seen myself.

The trick is not minding
@Wyldesyde19
I always like reviews that include one's personal take on the film, nicely written So I gather some of your grandfather's relatives remained behind the wall in East Germany? I can't image what that would've been like. Have you seen other films about East Germany? I can only think of three that I've seen myself.
I only know he had family in East Germany, and that he hadn’t been able to see them before his death, which was sometime in the 60’s, prior to my mother meeting my father. (Himself a soldier who would go on to serve in Vietnam). I don’t know what happened to them, however. That sides ultimate fate is lost to us.

I haven’t seen many films about East German depiction, or even many films from that period. I prefer West German films, particularly during that period of New German Cinema, of which most have been from Herzog.

I forgot the opening line.
I've done 4 of my films so far, and jeez they've been good. Real upper tier stuff, and without question this is the best 4 film opening to a Hall of Fame I've ever participated in. Some thoughts on the other films mentioned :

Secrets & Lies is assuredly one of Mike Leigh's best films, and the first one of his I saw way back. It had me checking out the films he'd already done and sticking with him all the way up to Peterloo. There have been some great movies amongst his filmography, and in this we get a down-to-earth, emotional and satisfying experience. I really need to get the DVD.

Alphaville I've been wanting to see for a while.

All About Eve I really liked when I saw it, and I've been meaning to see it again for a while now - I love Bette Davis and feel like it will get a lift in appraisal when I finally get to a second viewing. That first one was on VHS, so lord knows how long ago it was.

The Madness of King George I really enjoyed as well, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again (as well) - the only reason I haven't is that I haven't found the damned DVD anywhere yet. I know I can watch it anywhere, but after an initial viewing I generally wait until I have the movie. A really enjoyable and memorable one.

The Lives of Others is astonishing, a 10/10 for me and one of the best films I've watched over the last few years. Probably top 10 if I include everything I've seen. I wasn't even all that aware of it until the Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown came and it ranked pretty highly - if I'd already seen it, then the movie would have been getting some extra votes from me.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)